TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2003, 07:00 AM   #1
jim_p

Default 1996 Dodge 1500 4x4 ext cab

I don't have a Trailmanor yet, but I am planning on buying one. I now have a Dodge 1996 ext cab 1500 4x4 with towing package and class 3 hitch and wired for trailer brake. Now the big question: Will this pull a Trailmanor up steep highway grades? What model TM should I look at to give me the best overall highway performance? Does anyone tow a Trailmanor with this pickup?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:1996 Dodge 1500 4x4 ext cab

[quote author=jim_p link=board=20;threadid=1544;start=msg10954#msg1095 4 date=1069768839]
I don't have a Trailmanor yet, but I am planning on buying one. I now have a Dodge 1996 ext cab 1500 4x4 with towing package and class 3 hitch and wired for trailer brake. Now the big question: Will this pull a Trailmanor up steep highway grades? What model TM should I look at to give me the best overall highway performance? Does anyone tow a Trailmanor with this pickup?
[/quote]
For a given sized vehicle, the most important factors in towing capacity are the engine, transmission, and axle ratios (assuming the vehicle has, as you have, a towing package). IIRC, Dodge offered a variety of engines, transmissions, and axle ratios in the 1500 series trucks...so you'll have to give us those particulars before we can give you a decent answer. Furthermore, your owner's manual is probably the best source of the manufacturer towing ratings...it will give you the exact tow rating for the specific engine etc that your truck has.

It will also be helpful to define what "steep highway grades" means to you. Generally the best way is to state the grade as a percentage...e.g. a grade that rises 1 foot in every 10 feet of highway is a 10% grade. Typical "steep grades" in the midwest are only about 4% to 5%, in the Appalachian Mtns they're around 6% and in the Rockies/Sierras they're around 8% to 12%.

Furthermore, the altitude where you encounter a steep grade has a huge effect on how well a given tow vehicle/trailer combo will be able to handle it. In the midwest, those altitudes are usually around 1000 to 2000 feet; in the Appalachian Mtns, around 3000 to 5000 feet; and in the Rockies or Sierras, anywhere from 6000 to nearly 12,000. For instance, at 12000 feet, a normally aspirated engine (one without turbocharger) is only producing about 30% of it's sea level power/torque...so a smallish engine that's nicely adequate in the east will be really struggling. The bottom line is we'll need to know which region you'll be towing in or are most concerned about.

As for best highway performance, smaller is always better when it comes to towing. Less weight, less tendency of the trailer to push the tow vehicle around, etc. Two of the most important factors in highway towing performance are the weight and wheelbase of the tow vehicle. That being said, your truck, assuming it has a sufficient sized engine, is large enough to provide an excellent towing experience with any of the TM models.

Hope this helps. After you tell us more about your vehicle and where you plan to do most of your towing, we'll be able to give you more specific answers.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote