TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
fourteener

Default Basket Pictures & Ideas

Bill - I'm throwing around the idea of fabricating some sliding drawers/bins across the frame between the steps and in front of the tires/axle. I was wondering if you could post your pictures of your baskets, as I'm unable to locate them. My thought was a smaller one for leveling blocks on the curb side (door side) and a longer one for collapsible shovel, kayak paddles, etc on the kitchen side (street side). Any ideas would be helpful. I have put 15" tires and a lift kit on, so I do have a bit more clearance. And I've had the idea of making the smaller door side one double as an extra step when we are in camp.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourteener View Post
Bill - I'm throwing around the idea of fabricating some sliding drawers/bins across the frame between the steps and in front of the tires/axle. I was wondering if you could post your pictures of your baskets, as I'm unable to locate them. My thought was a smaller one for leveling blocks on the curb side (door side) and a longer one for collapsible shovel, kayak paddles, etc on the kitchen side (street side). Any ideas would be helpful. I have put 15" tires and a lift kit on, so I do have a bit more clearance. And I've had the idea of making the smaller door side one double as an extra step when we are in camp.
FYI - you may not get an answer. These posts are from 2004-5 and BillS was last on the forum in August 2010. You can review this for yourself by clicking the user name and then checking their public profile.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
fourteener

Thanks MisterP,

I figured that was the case, but I thought there may be someone that was on the thread that may have pictures or have the experience doing a similar modification.

I think I'll just start welding and post my own when I get it finished.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #14
Tampajohn

Default I added more storage with a cargo carrier and tool box.

I really watch the weight, only light items, outside carpet, chairs, hoses. Bulky item with very little weight. Try to keep it below 100 lbs which is the weight allowed on the bike rack. Able to open TM with it on. No problems after 2000 miles pulling it
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post

I really watch the weight, only light items, outside carpet, chairs, hoses. Bulky item with very little weight. Try to keep it below 100 lbs which is the weight allowed on the bike rack. Able to open TM with it on. No problems after 2000 miles pulling it
FYI, Floriduh requires any accessory that sticks out more than three feet from the back to have its own tail/brake lights. I'm not saying you don't, because I can't tell. Thought I would mention it. I got told by the state troopers about a luggage carrier.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Tampajohn

Thanks much, I will have to go get the tape measure out. No lights, a backup camera, but 4 reflectors. It is in storage now. Will get out in April.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
fourteener

Default Sliding Tool Boxes

Well I finally did it, took the initiative to fabricate tool boxes that fit just in front of the tires and just behind the steps. They are basic and slide on 3/4" angle iron. The boxes themselves are built mostly from 3/4" angle and boxed in sheet metal. Painted them with the rubberized undercoating.

Larger box is 48"L X 6"D X 10"W, totally enclosed, currently bolted in place with four 1/4" bolts, and has a secure hinged door.

Smaller box is 20"L X 6"D X 10"W, top is opened, slides into place, and is held on the track by two carabiners.

PROS
Large box works great for kayak paddles, small shovels, fishing rods. Small box built to hold jack blocks, and is built slightly stronger so that it can double as a third entry step if we are in an extremely unlevel area. Nice that now all items used on the exterior to set-up are stored outside the camper, so I don't have to bother my DW when she is setting up the inside.

CONS
Boxes took almost 3-full days to construct and attach to camper. Added about 30 lbs to the camper. Not as much storage gained as I first hoped. Steel, welding wire, and paint cost just over $200.

Overall, I'm glad I've completed this mod, and it will definitely be handy when packing our Sevylor Colorado (inflatable kayak).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 1.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	8512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 2.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	8513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 3.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	8514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage Box 4.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	8515  
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Old 06-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

This is really nice, and something I have considered for a long time. Outside storage is something that is seriously lacking with a TM for stuff like leveling blocks and such -- stuff that is needed before opening.

Nice work! And just like with the WDH bar holders, I think you could sell some of these if you are interested. I know I would be.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote