TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
garyandrene5047

Default 2720SL or 3124KS for a couple with no children?

This will be our first trailer purchase and prefer the TM after very thorough research. We are going to make a purchase within the next two months in either style, however, would like to know from the experienced which would be most comfortable for the money and for us. My husband is 5'11" and I am 5'10" in our late40's early 50's no pets or children. Am looking at a 3124KS for the space, comfort and layout but also would entertain purchasing a 2720SL, 2720SD or the 3023 if convinced just as comfortable. Will be towing with a Toyota Four Runner Sports Edition. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Bob&Karen

My wife and I really like our 3124KS. Like you, we are in our 40's/50's and don't have children at home anymore. We do, however, travel with three Boston Terriers. Given that, a 2720 will not work for us as "the boys" like having the little bit of extra space. The 3124KS and 2720SL are pretty much the same floorplan, with the 3124 being just a little longer. Only other differences are a king bed, more counterspace (my wife likes that), and more storage.

We tow with a Ford Expedition without any issues. I've never weighed the TM loaded for travel, but I'd estimate around 4300 lbs. I'm not sure how the Four Runner compares with the Expedition for towing but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Have you looked at both floor plans in person? That may be the best way to decide. That's what happened to us. We were initially thinking we wanted a 2720SL. Went to the dealer, ready to purchase, and looked at the 3124KS. DW was hooked. So, that's the one we bought.

Regards,
Bob
Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
mtnguy

Even though I only have the 2720, I have a friend that has the 2720sl, and that puppy is sweet.....maybe 1 of the 2 models mentioned here in the future for me.....I hope, I hope.

Deciding between the 2 would be difficult. You would have to decide if the king bed (where you can sleep with your feet towards the hall, preventing you from having to crawl across your bedmate) in the 3124ks, is more beneficial than the extra 320 lbs. of tow weight in that model over the 2720sl. A lot would depend on your tow vehicle towing capicities. With a 5000 lb tow limit, a fully loaded down (with AC, awning, cabinets, camping gear etc.) 3124ks might be getting close to that figure. If you have a larger tow rating on your vehicle, then I would think it would less of an issue. And the extra 4' of tow length might tax the ability of the 4 Runner in a panic situation.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #4
mtnguy

garyandrene5047,

In checking out the Toyota website, some of the 4 Runners are rated to tow up to 7300 lbs. But the wheelbase is only 110"s, so that would be a concern for me in going to a bigger unit.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Chap
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Scott O

I agree with the possible tow vehicle problem. I do not think I would be tempted to tow the larger trailer with that vehicle. As far as the trailer choice, the suggestion to see both in person is a good one. The major differences are bed size, seating places, and floor space. Guess it may just depend on how cozy you like to be. And maybe storage! Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either if you get the TV question sorted out. Now having said that, if we had unlimited funds, I would have purchased the larger trailer, a new Tundra truck, and extended the garage to fit!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
NYJeff

My wife & I are looking also; here's what important to us:

[1] The 3023 is the largest that will fit into my garage.
[2] I love the 2720SL floorplan but we actually prefer to [u]sleep[\u] in different beds & the couch isn't big enough.
[3] The 2720 -vs- 3023 debate isn't really significant due to the approximately $3300 price difference (I think I'm willing to pay that for the bigger trailer).
[4] We like the idea of more comfortable couches rather than the standard dinette for the inevitable bad weather days - just feel they'd be easier on my back & rear end but haven't actually compared the two.

I sure wish TM had a bigger dealer network. I've e-mailed my "local" dealer several times with questions. Without fail, the guy answers one question & ignores the others. I reply back & get another answer in a few days. It's like he doesn't want to be bothered but unless I'm willing to buy used (I am for the right deal) or drive a long way, I'm stuck. Frustrating.

But I digress. Best of luck to you & your spouse as you search for your perfect TM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
bfezel

After staring out looking at Hi-Lo's we decided that a TM was for us. Next came the model decision. We decided that the 3124KS was the one that met our needs...king bed and a generous living room. I am 69/wife is 58 and we travel alone. After searching all the deals on the web for several months I came across a lightly used 3124KS at a "steal" price and bought it sight unseen. Have not regretted it. We tow with a 2002 Tundra and have absolutely no problems. Our best to you as you make this decision. Like others have suggested I would urge you to go to a dealer (even if you have to drive some distance) and view first hand the models that interest you. Make sure they have a variety of models in inventory before making the trip. Not everyone will be carrying the 3124KS on their lot.

Bill
Old 01-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Rich_in_Tampa

Another vote for the 3124KS, which we own. The trailer is a pleasure. Personally, I enjoy the extra length. The bedroom is far enough from the living room that you really feel a sense of your own space. Storage is adequate for us.

When you compare the different lengths, imagine the two of you in the trailer for a few waking hours (e.g. bad weather). Also, the kind bed was a priority for us and we find it very comfortable.

We tow with a Sequoia and find it just about perfect. I look in the rearview from time to time just to make sure the TM is still back there. Almost bought a 4Runner which would pull it fine. We went up to the Sequoia just for the principle of it and because my wife used it well in her real estate job.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
larsdennert

Since you said you have an SE model 4Runner it would have to be an '03 or newer which has at least a 6000lb tow capacity. We love our 2720 but it is the most I want to tow with our earlier 4Runner. If you have the space to store it, get the biggest you can fit and afford. The baths are all the same size so the rest of the layout is what to focus on.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
jniles

We have the 3124KB and would not consider anything less. Have two small dogs but the kids are gone. However at times we have had 18 people sitting around in ours when all of the Kids and our 10 grand kids are all camping together. Love to sleep long ways and not crawling over my lady in the night.

We tow with both a Jeep Cherokee in line 6 cylinder using an equalizer hitch and an F150 four wheeled drive without the equalizer. Except in the mountains both do very well. When the trailer is loaded it is still not exceeding the capacity of the little Jeep but we don't take it to the Rockies.

Go for the storage and counter space. You won't be sorry.