TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
mmayville

Default Install a black tank on a TM?

Has anyone installed a normal black water tank in a TM?

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Think some went to a cassette toilet connected to the existing piping but not sure where you would put a conventional BW tank.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
mmayville

Think maybe it could be done between the frame under the RV?

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 09-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...black+capacity

This is the only modification that I've heard of that increases the black water capacity. I don't know if there are still pictures of what he did, but he describes it pretty well in his posts.

A few years ago with one of the board upgrades ? I think we lost all of the older pictures.

Now that dinner is over, I found a couple pictures in post #35 of that thread. I'm going to go back and post on the thread "black water tank" so that it comes up in regular searches. Also put a tag on the post for "black water tank".
Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
mmayville

That is a great post! My wife has the concern about the recirculating toilet as she puts it the poo poo water is recirculating as you flush the system. Yes, there is a filter that breaks down the waste as it recirculates. I am pondering the project of installing a black water tank under the unit and plumbing in a standard RV toilet system. She loves the size of the TM with all of the amenities of room and placement of kitchen, bath, etc.. over the Hi-Lo. Having more trailer when you setup and less trailer to tow when you bring it down is very appealing. Especially since TM is still in business. Hi-Lo's are fabulous low profile trailers but when you need more space you have to add more weight to your vehicle which is what I am trying to avoid. So if I can solve the black water tank issue then she will go with the TM. (Probably will anyway :-) ). Just for the simple reason that you can watch TV from the sofa and not have to crank your neck around from the dinette to see it. LOL... We are looking at the 2720 SL and possibly the 3023. Thanks for the information.

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 09-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Mike, just to be sure you are aware of the people who have replaced the recirculating toilet with either a Thetford Curve, or (more work) the Thetford Cassette.

My TMs have come with the cassette, and I love it. I can see your wife's concern, which is why I think the cassette or Curve are good alternatives.

Installing a cassette is a pain. It has been done, but more have installed the Curve. Both use fresh water to flush, so there is no recirculating of liquids. Also, you don't have to go to a dump station to empty. I take my cassette to a toilet or outhouse, and empty there. Don't have to move the trailer to empty. We can go 3-4 days between empty activity.

I think a Curve is a much better solution than a black tank. As some have mentioned in other threads, black tanks need vents, and there is no good way to vent with a TM.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
mmayville

Solution to the black water tank at a full hookup site for the wifey. Put a direct water feed toilet on the inside and this 4 wheel tote on the outside of the RV. Hook up the black water drain to the tank and when time to empty hook up a drain hose to the tote, flip the drain chute down and into the waste outlet at the RV site. Yes , care given to the way it is emptied but it will work. I have the plastic hose holders to keep the drain hose off the ground and flowing downhill.

https://www.etrailer.com/Plumbing/To.../TNS20123.html

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
ka9nyn

This link talks about the Sealand 711-M28c toilet. I'm leaning that direction...

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=scamp+toilet
2001 Trailmanor 2720 (NTU 7/18/2015, owner #3)
***Now, 15" tires, lift kit, new torsion bars.
ka9nyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:22 AM   #9
mmayville

I have noticed that most people on the forum park in areas that do not have the sewage hookup on their site. Because my wife is a busy bathroom person. We need to be able to empty on site so I am looking at alternatives where I do not have to go to a dump station and not have the re-circulation water issue on the inside of the unit. I am pretty creative and almost 60 so bending an twisting to install things in small places are not conducive to my aging back and of course the rest of the areas of the body that have a tendency to start failing when you push over that 50 mark. So putting a Stor-N-Tote that can act as a capture device between the queen toilet and the septic tank is the KISS method that will work. Yes, would be nice to be portable without an extra item to unload on the RV site but we usually stay for 2-3 weeks wherever we go. You suggestion method would be nice to have for the shotgun overnight stays on the way to your destination. I have always had an onboard black tank on my units and this will be the first TM that I have owned once I find the right one.

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 09-15-2015, 04:35 AM   #10
ka9nyn

I understand. I'm 60 since April, 2015. Planning upon pressing my Sons in law into service for the tight installation stuff. I like the idea of an integral black tank without the recirculation. Plus it utilizes the existing dump lines. Anyway, hope you find the unit you want. Deoending upon the year you get, you may end up with a cassette toilet, which I had in my last popup. Worked well. Cheers...
2001 Trailmanor 2720 (NTU 7/18/2015, owner #3)
***Now, 15" tires, lift kit, new torsion bars.
ka9nyn is offline   Reply With Quote