TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2002, 12:19 PM   #1

Default Rear shell paint rubbed off - problem?

We've had the 2619 for a year and have spent about 30 nights in it. It's holding up pretty well, but I did notice something that might be unusual wear&tear, and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

On the top/side corners of the rear shell, where the aft end of the front shell touches it when the trailer is folded down, the paint is rubbed off to the bare metal on both sides. I could paint the spots, but it will probably just rub through again. I would *not* want it to rub through the metal itself.

Anyone else have this, or not have it? Either response would be informative.

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-05-2002, 01:01 AM   #2

Default Re: Rear shell paint rubbed off - problem?

We experienced that on our first season of camping.  The paint was wearing down to bare metal.  I sent a letter to the factory, detailing all the things that had gone wrong.  For this particular situation, they sent me some plastic strips to put on the roof where the front edge rubs the back roof.  Also, I adusted the black latches on the front half so that it doesn't pull down so tightly anymore, hopefully preventing further rubbing.  They sent enough of the strip so you could put it down the sides, too, but I didn't.  As everyone says, they are there to help!
Old 04-07-2002, 11:57 AM   #3

The paint wear is inevitable as the seals with the inevitable dust grinds through.  We have it also.

There really is no need to repaint the bare aluminum and I doubt you'll achieve a finish as durable as the original.

Looser at the latches may cause more freedom for rubbing along the sides but you can watch for this.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
Happytrails

Mine's got that as well, also had it on the inside as well on the ceiling where the aft section rubs the front. (In an old 1986). I doubt seriously that any damage would happen to the aluminum. When I bought my house, the previous owner left several cans of paint from various items around the house, one of em happened to be a spray can for an old washer and dryer that I replaced out......go figure, it's almost a spot on match for the interior paint......You can't EVEN tell in the light that gets in the trailer that anything's even been painted......sooooo I went ahead and painted over the part...... 8)