TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
KParis

Wink Calculated weight and actual height of new 2011's

Hi,

Thanks to the help of so many of you, I am getting my new 2011 2619 Trailmanor is about two weeks. As usual, I am still concerned about the weight since the tow vehicle is probably going to be a Nissan Pathfinder with a wheelbase of 112.2 inches, a tow capacity of 6000 pounds and max. tongue weight of 600 pounds. Its GVWR is 6113 and its GCWR is 11,113. When I plug these figures into the Changin' Gears calculator, it gives me a maximum trailer weight of 3600 pounds (with a 10% safety factor). It also gives the maximum tongue rating of 540 pounds. Now I just want to make sure I have this right. The 3600 pounds is the max. trailer weight and this figure includes the tongue weight. 1. Right? I don't think it is taking the 3600 pounds max. weight rating they gave and adding the 540 tongue weight. That would go beyond the GVWR of the trailer (4023 I think of hand).

I am sure I will have more questions later if I can't find them in the forum. We are planning on taking a shake down run the middle of Oct. with other friends who have trailers (but not Trailmanors).

Here is a shocker: the height of the TM in the brochure with the low profile AC is supposed to be 78.75 inches. Well, it is 81 inches because a 2" lift kit is installed on these new TM's (at least the ones in the west). My garage door height is only 81". Whew!! But with your advise, I can release the pin of my auto door and get another 3" so I should be okay. As a last resort, air will come out of the tires (to be put back in once it is cozy in the garage). Hope I don't have to do that.

By the way, Custom RV in Anaheim is fabulous to work with (Gena and Matt). No question goes unanswered and they are VERY patient. They are delivering the TM to my door in Washington and training us on the spot because they have to go to another spot in WA to pick up a trailer. Very nice gesture on their part. I highly recommend them and no, I wasn't paid for this advertisement :-).

Thanks for all your help. Will post the weights, etc. if someone would like to know later.

Take care, Kathy Paris
Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
brulaz

Kathy, the Nissan ratings you quote are similar, just slightly lower than our Tacomas.

Our problem has not been exceeding the Tow Capacity, but exceeding the GVWR of the TV. If you subtract the "Curb Weight" of your Nissan from its GVWR, you will have its payload capacity. Adding more weight than your payload will cause the vehicle's GVWR to be exceeded.

With our Tacoma the payload is about 1000#. But after subtracting the weight of 2 people, and our hitch weight (420# with WDH, 620# without), there is very little weight capacity left for any gear. After adding our kayaks on top, only very little and very light weight stuff goes into the bed of our pickup.

EDIT: Not sure if I should add the weight of a tank of gas to the payload too ...
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KParis View Post
Hi,

Thanks to the help of so many of you, I am getting my new 2011 2619 Trailmanor is about two weeks. As usual, I am still concerned about the weight since the tow vehicle is probably going to be a Nissan Pathfinder with a wheelbase of 112.2 inches, a tow capacity of 6000 pounds and max. tongue weight of 600 pounds. Its GVWR is 6113 and its GCWR is 11,113. When I plug these figures into the Changin' Gears calculator, it gives me a maximum trailer weight of 3600 pounds (with a 10% safety factor). It also gives the maximum tongue rating of 540 pounds. Now I just want to make sure I have this right. The 3600 pounds is the max. trailer weight and this figure includes the tongue weight. 1. Right? I don't think it is taking the 3600 pounds max. weight rating they gave and adding the 540 tongue weight. That would go beyond the GVWR of the trailer (4023 I think of hand).

I am sure I will have more questions later if I can't find them in the forum. We are planning on taking a shake down run the middle of Oct. with other friends who have trailers (but not Trailmanors).

Here is a shocker: the height of the TM in the brochure with the low profile AC is supposed to be 78.75 inches. Well, it is 81 inches because a 2" lift kit is installed on these new TM's (at least the ones in the west). My garage door height is only 81". Whew!! But with your advise, I can release the pin of my auto door and get another 3" so I should be okay. As a last resort, air will come out of the tires (to be put back in once it is cozy in the garage). Hope I don't have to do that.

By the way, Custom RV in Anaheim is fabulous to work with (Gena and Matt). No question goes unanswered and they are VERY patient. They are delivering the TM to my door in Washington and training us on the spot because they have to go to another spot in WA to pick up a trailer. Very nice gesture on their part. I highly recommend them and no, I wasn't paid for this advertisement :-).

Thanks for all your help. Will post the weights, etc. if someone would like to know later.

Take care, Kathy Paris
Kathy,
There's an adjustment on your garage door opener that lets you increase or decrease the upward travel of your door. See if that will let you get the clearance you need without having to do it manually.

"The 3600 pounds is the max. trailer weight and this figure includes the tongue weight, Right?"
The tow capacity relates to the total weight of the trailer, tongue plus axle. The GCWR is applied to the total weight of the TV and trailer all hitched up. The gross weight of your vehicle will be the total of it's two axle weights when you're all hitched up. Weight limits are guidelines, not laws, and getting your rig set up the way you want it can be a process, not an event. Read your owners' manual carefully and pay first attention to what it says about towing. Use care to properly adjust your weight distributing hitch and brake controller. And use a spotter and an abundance of caution when you back up!

Looking forward to seeing your scale numbers.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KParis View Post
Hi,
By the way, Custom RV in Anaheim is fabulous to work with (Gena and Matt). No question goes unanswered and they are VERY patient.
I agree.

I had some work done just after Thanksgiving last year and was quite happy. This year I am having a bit more work done, and the over stove cabinet added, but I won't have to drive so far. Matt will be at the Pismo Rally next weekend.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I agree.

I had some work done just after Thanksgiving last year and was quite happy. This year I am having a bit more work done, and the over stove cabinet added, but I won't have to drive so far. Matt will be at the Pismo Rally next weekend.
I bought my 3023 at Custom RV in July 2010. They were very courteous and helpful. They answered all my questions and allowed me to spend time on three visits inspecting all their used Trailmanors. They carefully explained how things work. They told me all systems had been thouroughly checked out, the bearings repacked, and the propant tanks filled.

A week after we bought it the DW and I took it on a shake down cruise up to Big Bear Lake. We spent three nights. We enjoyed answering questions and showing off the trailer to the folks who came over to look at it. I guess this goes with the territory.

On the second morning the propane tanks began to make a "tink tink" noise. A few minutes later the fire under my tea kettle went out! Now two 10 minute sessions running the heater in the morning and a few kettles of tea water will not use up 20 lbs of propane!

I took both tanks into town to get them filled. Both were completely empty. I called Custom RV to complain. I was polite to them, but I complained that they had not filled the tanks. They said they had. They did not offer to reimburse me.

We used the trailer again in August for a 4 night trip to the San Jose area. Cooking, heating water, running the heater. Referigerator and hot water heater on AC power. No sweat, did not even have to switch tanks.

Now I'm worried. If they did not fill the tanks as they claimed, did they repack the wheel bearings as they also claimed?

BTW, I went into Premium RV in La Habra to order a J hook to put in my drill for the jacks and awning. When I asked if they knew what a Trailmanor is, they guy said, "Sure, we do repair work for Custom RV all the time." I thought, "Ah, they sub work out, so I'll just come here first."

Interesting, what?

T. Maddux

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post

BTW, I went into Premium RV in La Habra to order a J hook to put in my drill for the jacks and awning. When I asked if they knew what a Trailmanor is, they guy said, "Sure, we do repair work for Custom RV all the time." I thought, "Ah, they sub work out, so I'll just come here first."

T. Maddux
When my TM was still under factory warranty the frame cracked. The factory said I should just call any local welding shop with a portable welder. I could only find one, and their guy was out on disability, so it would be many months before they could fix it. The factory was willing to pay the cost.

My local dealer at the time was Dinuba RV. He could get it repaired, but I had no way to tow it there, about 100 miles. It could not safely be towed on the ground.

Dinuba RV cam down with their hauler and picked it up.

Back in Rio Vista they had it welded by a local shop, because they were not equipped to do frame welding, especially when it required a factory design change.

My point is they subbed it out.

Every dealer will sub out some of their work. Sometimes it takes special knowledge or special tools. Sometimes it is just a backlog.

Subbing out is no surprise, depending on what the reason was.

Custom RV has been known to perform modest repairs at the rally. I think it is great that they show up and perform shell adjustments on the spot. I have never taken advantage of that, but many have. I know that they do not sub that out.