TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
ericluvskim04

Default Bike rack

Hello,
I read a thread or two a few months back about adding a bike rack receiver. I have the rack but I need to have the receiver hitch installed. I read where some people have taken their unit back to the dealer to have it installed. Is this the only place to have it safely installed? Could U-Haul install one or don't they carry the right receiver? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
MidwestDave

Red face Bicycle Hitch

Hi Eric, I would think any fabrication shop or shop specializing in hitches would be able to do the job. We were just thinking about that today for our 2720. I don't think it would be nessary to got to the factory unless you were planning a trip in that area. I have a friend who did some work for me who owns a fabrication shop here in Northwestern Illinois and I know he would be capable of a job like that. Good luck, let us know how you come out on this!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
larsdennert

You definately need someone who knows their stuff. The bumper is very thin and needs to be reenforced.

Not shown here is the plating I welded in on the storage compartment. Even bikes are heavy enough to cause trouble bouncing around back there.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
rooksroost

Default Hitch

Eric,
We have a 2006 2720 with the storage bumper, not the square box. Can't remember what a 05 has. I picked up a hitch at the factory which was ready to install except for the 4 mounting holes. Took maybe 30 minutes to drill and install.
We then went out on a 5000 mile trip this summer and all was fine.
If you need photos we're out on the road and have hi-speed!
Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
FightinIrish

I just did the same thing on our 04 2720. Haven't received the cargo carrier I ordered for it yet but looking forward to it.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
ericluvskim04

All,
Thanks for the infomation. I called Adam at trailmanor and he said the rack would cost $215.00. I am debating on weather to get it now or next season. I only have a few more camping trips left this season and I have done without the rack thus far. Thanks again.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Scott O

Eric: Your TV looks a lot like a truck! There are many much more satisfactory ways to carry a bike in the truck bed than on the rear of the TM. As a bicyclist, I find the worst place to carry my bikes is on the rear of the vehicle. It is much too dirty and I like to see them so I can be sure they didn't fall off! Any decent bike shop will have a variety of mounts by Yakima, Tule, or others which work well with the truck. And if the bike is carried vertically it really doesn't take up much room. The best and least expensive is a simple fork mount (which assumes you can easily get your front wheel off).
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
mtnguy

Eric,

I carry my bikes on some old Yak racks (gutter mounts that I had on another vehicle) mounted on top of the rails of my Trac Racs. The bicycles don't take up any room in the bed, and I can still cover the bed with a tonneau cover, and carry my canoe overhead on the Trac Racs. I had to fabricate a couple of brackets to make the system work, but it turned out to be very functional. You can see 1 of the bikes in my avatar above.

PM me if you are interested in further details.

Chap
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
AstroBruce

I carry 3 bikes on the front of my truck with a front receiver.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
Eric: Your TV looks a lot like a truck! There are many much more satisfactory ways to carry a bike in the truck bed than on the rear of the TM. As a bicyclist, I find the worst place to carry my bikes is on the rear of the vehicle. It is much too dirty and I like to see them so I can be sure they didn't fall off!
My son races downhill mountain bikes. He doesn't like to mount his bikes on the roof of his car because they get too dirty. He prefers them on the back of his car. If he only takes one bike then it goes inside his Subaru WRX.

My 2005 TM 2720 has the newer style rear bumper with storage space for the shore power cord and the sewer hoses and fittings. I have the factory hitch receiver, which is welded on. I have never used it in the three yeas we have been camping. I ordered it because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I have watched many bicycles bounce around on the back of various trailers etc. and I don't think I like that idea at all.

When DS goes with us, his bikes go in the bed of the truck. At 40+ pounds each, I could only put one on the back of the TM anyway because the hitch receiver is limited to 100 pounds. Two downhill mountain bikes and the bike rack would exceed 100 pounds for sure.