TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
sagbags1

Default Front slide is tilted down

I just purchased a used 2720sl and upon setting up we notice that the front
slide is tilting down. also the shelf behind the couch is also slanted. The torsion bars are straight up and down but the floor where the slide out couch is not flush with the floor. It also looks like the bottom front slide is too far out. the bottom slide is right against the propane tanks. Looks like the front top could go up a good 6 inches. Ken
Old 05-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Ken,

Would it be possible to attach a couple of photos? It almost sounds like you've pulled the slide out too far. The inside slide floor should not be flush with the trailer floor . . . it should be an inch or two higher. The other possibility is a problem with the support arms that swing out when you pull the slide out. There should be some spacers on a large pin (bolt) that keep the slide level as it is pulled out. Check to see that the two swing out support arms are moving out to support the front, bottom corners of the slide.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Maybe another clue for you....My 06 2720 SL has two pins on the inside that drop into collars when the slider is pulled out to the correct distance. There is also the lower supports on the outside beneath the slider that keep the slider from coming too far out. I second Commodor64 on the slider being an inch or two higher than the rest of the trailer floor.
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
sagbags1

Thanks alot guys. I did find where the bottom front slide was out to far. I did correct that but the top front Portion is still tilted downward when erect. The camper sets up easily and slides and pins all line up. If you look at the trailer from a side view, you can see that the back section is level, the middle section is level, but the top front section is tilted downward at the front about 6 inches. I wish I was set to take picture like someone suggested. I sure appreciated any suggestions. Ken in Michigan.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Leon has it right. Sagbags1 second post definitely indicates the need to adjust the front swing arms of the front shell. But 6 inches is a lot of sag. Check to see if there is a problem with the torsion bar support bracket. Follow the front swing arm (long rectangular, white metal box) down to the black torsion bar support bracket (attached to the bottom of the trailer). The bolts holding the bracket to the bottom of the trailer may have pulled out or caused the bottom of the trailer to bulge resulting in a space between the bracket and the trailer bottom. Perhaps someone else on the board has dealt with a similar problem and can post how it was repaired?
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Here's a similar problem discovered while the TM was in for routine maintenance at The Car Show in Colo Springs. The shell was separating from the frame and probably was very close to collapsing. The fix involved re-attaching the two pieces with some angle iron, screws, and paint to cover the mess. The good news is Trail Manor kicked in for half of the cost because of an apparent screwup at the factory (thanks to the Unrues at the Car Show). The corner was misaligned just enough for the screws that secure the corner together either missed entirely, or did not catch well enough for a permanent bond. Failure scenarios included the frame cracking behind the torsion bar to a collapse when either raising or lowering the front shell. Neither is covered by the limited lifetime warranty.
R_W

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
rotor_wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
sagbags1

Thanks for the posts. I looked at my tm today and I was exaggerating a little on the 6 in tilt. It's closer to 3 inches.I checked all the bolts and they appear to be their. Jane says she will never sleep on the couch after hearing the word collapsing. It really doesn't affect the way it sets up or down but I believe I will plan a trip to tenn. this summer to see if the factory can fix this.I did notice the 2 bars that run the width of the trailer under the front are crossed. Had other campers look at it today. They want me to put a 2x8 under the top section and use a jack to lift front section up. The word collapsing keeps coming to mind. ken
Old 05-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

My slide was still aligned properly even though the side of the trailer was trying to separate from the frame. This is more likely what Commodore47 is experiencing. At least the photos look similar. The collapse would not be the slide, but the left front side since there would no longer be support from the frame. It would most likely happen on set up or take-down. Without photos, it sounds more like your slide is either extended too far, off the track, or both. Mine popped off once when I was a little too aggressive when pulling it out. It looked to be about 2 inches worth of tilt. I also believe the torsion bars are crossed.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
rotor_wash
Site Sponsor

Each swing arm is attached to one end of a torsion bar and the it travels beneath the trailer to an attaching point on the opposite side. When you adjust the torsion, you are actually adjusting the bolt on the opposite side where you want results. If the bars do not cross, they have to be in very close proximity as the swing arms are directly across from each other. Additionally, even though the shells may be extended, there will still be at least a little force on the bars. They will not just "slip" in and out if they are adjusted properly.

2002 3124KS
2007 Tahoe
Solar
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
sagbags1

COLLAPSING-CRASHING DOWN. My wife says I shouldn't have been so cheap and bought a new tm. Jane says she is upping our life insurance tomorrow.
I did see the clamps under the trailer. I will try what leon said this weekend
when we go up north. I was relieved to see that rotor wash had 2 inches of tilt. I don't know why, but I was. I really appreciate everyones help. We will be camping in it for the first time this weekend. I parked the tm at the park earlier this week right next to the showers so I won't have to deal with the tm bathroom this week.this website really has a wealth of info. in it.