TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2002, 07:52 AM   #1

Default Need advice on whether to buy a used 1991

Hello all, I am SO glad I finally found a forum such as this with Trailmanor info, believe me I have been looking for some time.

After 4 campers in 4 years the wife and I finally agreed that speedy travel and relative ease of setup were our two top camping priorities.

That left us with Aliner, Hi Lo and TrailManor as viable candidates. I have throughouly reserached Aliner and Hi Lo on other disucssion forums but just having found this, would appreicate any of your owner thoughts as to "why TrailManor" vs. the other two.

Second, clearly TrailManor is much more expensive, not saying it is not worth it. For that reason I went on rvtrader and found a used, 1991 Model 26 at a dealer between our home and my wife's daughters in WI, meaning we can get to it and back to with some regularity.

I am wondering, based on TrailManor quality, what type of shape could I expect a 1991 to be in? Assuming it had normal use. How many more years of use should I expect with no major problems such as structural problems, walls rotting (do walls rot in TrailManors) etc?

Are there any major service issues that would be likely to crop up in a '91? Any key things we should look at? (Going to see it in December)?

Finally, we are curious, how long does it REALLY take to lift up, open and set up a TrailManor? Plus in reverse. No cheery underestimates please, the real deal. Ease of setup is our key.

I will probably post a lot next week or so if you are all willing. Would really like to "get the whole scoop."

Thanks, Rick P/Jamestown ND
Old 11-26-2002, 10:29 AM   #2

Default Re: Need advice on whether to buy a used 1991

Hey Rick,
Old 11-26-2002, 10:37 AM   #3

Hey Rick,  let's try this response again...the dog tried to help me with the first one and forced me to hit the send key!

Just this last weekend I went to look at my first Trailmanor as I am most likely going to put down my deposit after the holiday.  The salesman had me put the TM up by myself and it took maybe 5-6 minutes with him showing me how. After a practice or two, I think 2-3 minutes is realistic (keeping in mind you may need to level first with the jacks as with any camper). A minute or two to turn on the gas, plug in your power line and water hose and buddy, you are camping.

I also looked at Aliners, and while ok for the niche they fill, I feel they were overpriced and offered very little room.

Hi-Lo's will be looked at next week but dollar for dollar, foot for foot, I think the TM will be hard to beat.

BTW, what part of WI do you visit? I am originally from Appleton until Uncle Sam got me used to the warm weather and I stayed in Texas after I retired 2 years ago.

Dave
Old 11-26-2002, 12:24 PM   #4

Grew up in Oshkosh; Dad still lives there, couple brothers in Milwaukee, Sister in Chicago.

Wife's daughter lives in Neenah.

I am in Jamestown, ND.

After doing this post I am taking some time to scroll around and read some old posts with similar questions on them.

One thing that is starting to scare me is I feel I am reading a lot about wall and roof problems with wood rot in these older models such as I am looking at (1991 M26).

I am NO handyman plus I fear I would not know enough to detect signs of these types of problems even when I go to look at this unit.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:48 AM   #5
Happytrails

Rick, what you need to do is look up in the pocket stops. These are the places the travel arms go up in the front and rear shells. See if what goes along the bottom is wood or aluminum. I'm not sure what year they started using aluminum, but if it is aluminum that runs along the bottom of the shells, you're A-OK. If it's wood, what you will want to do is remove a screw or two and see what it's condition looks like. If it's rusted, and missing threads, then most likely the wood will need to be replaced. These things have very little wood in the clam shells, just at the outter edges. For the most part they're simply made of a sheet of styrofoam sandwitched in between two sheets of aluminum. I had to replace all the wood in my front clam shell with aluminum, and even with all the bad wood in it, once it was set up, it NEVER leaked one drop of water! They do not have a conventional "frame" so to speak. The only wood and/or aluminum in them is where the wall meets the roof, and along the bottom, as well as rear edge, tho that wood doesn't matter. (I never bothered, nor had to replace that wood out....doesn't do much anyway). If it sets up just fine, I'd say it's good to go. When I opened mine up for the first time, the wood was so rotten, it opened up where there was 3 feet of sky between the front and rear sections! In other words, it'll be obvious if it's bad...lol. When you do set it up, there are 4 aluminum tubes with a hole in them that a pin from the shell goes into. Check to see if they line up pretty good once it's opened up. Once set up, the pins should be fairly close if not right on with where the holes in the aluminum tubes come up to meet them. You can see what I'm talking about by checking out my web page....it's pretty detailed, and there are pictures of the pins and the small aluminum tubes as well as everything else dealing with the structure on it. At any rate, it'll educate you pretty good before you go look at your 1991.   http://members.aol.com/br768 Hope this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 12-01-2002, 11:45 AM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Rick

Before you decide to buy the 1991 Trailmanor, you should try RVTraderOnLine.com. When you get into the site, just fill in the blanks to do a search on Trailmanors for sale. The easiest is to use ALL for RV Type, use 1991to 2003 for the year ,and then click on begin search. When I did it, there were about 42 Trailmanors listed. This will give you some kind of an idea for prices and options on The Trailmanors. Let me know what you found, and how it compared with the 1991 Trailmanor that you found.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:44 AM   #7
arknoah

Rick,

A couple of things to keep in mind about a Trailmanor of that age is that the velcro that holds the flaps down (to keep out the air when the unit is opened) may be in need of replacement.  There are several threads on this site that should help you figure out how to do that effectively.  You may also find some seals, such as in the toilet may be in need of replacement.  Neither of these two things should deter you from purchase.

It takes me about 4 minutes to set it up, separate from leveling the unit and without rushing.  I usually do this alone -- when my wife helps, it can be a minute or so shorter.  One of the reasons we picked the Trailmanor versius the Hi-Lo was the lower weight.  A second big reason is the space inside.  When a Hi-Lo or Tow-Lite are opened up, all they usually do is go up. Trailmanor has the advantage of opening out as well, so you actually have more living space inside.  Having said that, there is a new Hi-Lo model with a real side slide out, and that's gonna be hard to beat when it comes to interior space.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:29 AM   #8
PAUL_R

i just switched to a 29' 03 hi-lo with side out from a 2720 model. interior hi-lo space is huge.

but man, it is heavy!