TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #1
Stephene1219

Default Back-up Camera Install Issues

I was connecting the back-up camera to the license plate light. It only has two wires. Black and White. I connected the red camera light to the black wire which I thought was power and the white camera wire to the white wire. The white wire is supposed to be connected to ground or negative. The camera is not getting power. Any ideas
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:44 PM   #2
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
I was connecting the back-up camera to the license plate light. It only has two wires. Black and White. I connected the red camera light to the black wire which I thought was power and the white camera wire to the white wire. The white wire is supposed to be connected to ground or negative. The camera is not getting power. Any ideas
Does the license plate light still come on, or is both camera and light not getting power?
Old 02-23-2022, 02:21 PM   #3
Stephene1219

License plat light comes on.

THe monitor in the truck just gives me a message "No Signal"

I tested it before I hooked it up and it worked great .
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephene1219 View Post
The camera is not getting power.
How have you confirmed that it is "not getting power"? The hookup is very simple, I believe you have the right polarity, and the license light comes on, so I'm not sure how the camera could not be getting power. Are you sure your connections are good? Is there a fuse on the camera body or in one of the wires to the camera?

"No Signal" reports are often due to the fact that the camera has to send its signal through the metal of the trailer body, plus the metal of the truck body. As you know, metal is a shield for radio waves. Can you set the the camera on the roof of the TM temporarily, and see if that works? Distance is a factor as well - the camera signals are quite weak, and don't travel very far. When you tested it, how far apart were they? Was the camera powered through the license plate light, or somewhere else? Was the receiver/display mounted at the same place in the truck that it is now?

Finally, can you tell us the make and model of the camera setup? Perhaps someone on the Forum has experience with it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote