TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 PM   #11
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Nope it’s in the cabinet.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #12
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Copied and pasted from 8-04-2008 thread.

===========================

I did take pics but not a lot. I'll try to describe as I go here.

This pic is the inside of the cabinet. Note the pre-existing 110V outlet in the back right side of the cabinet.

I started by drilling 2, -1/4" pilot holes from the inside of the cabinet, 2" from the cabinet bottom. This gave me orientation to take measurements on the outside. Once my lines were drawn, I drilled a 2" hole with a hole saw to start my cut.

Once the hole was cut through the trailer wall, I went inside and cut the cabinet out. I left the bottom lip of the cabinet because that lifts the front of the AC to allow for drainage. I was then able to insert the AC from the inside.

When cutting the outside wall. I found that it cut very easily and it was very clear when I came to any framing. It was like hitting a brick wall with the fine tooth cutting blade. That told me where to stop and actually made the job easier than I expected.

I cut the wall outward until I hit the framing. This left me about 2" on the right (from the outside) and 5" on the left. There is a frame member on the left that I left in but there is still 3" of cabinet that can be opened up. I will Open the remaining 2" (leaving in the 1" frame member), if I feel the need for additional air flow.

The openings on the sides are for outside air intake to cool the condenser.

After I water-proof the cabinet and install the outside grilles, I will put 2 pieces of sheet aluminum (painted to match the trailer) on piano hinges so that they can be opened up while the AC is running. These will act as baffles (like the pieces of cardboard that you see in this pic) to keep the hot air that is exhausting from the back of the AC from being recirculated back into the cabinet.

Notice in this picture, I cut out the louvered vents on the side of the AC housing to allow for increased air flow.

I feel that the reason that so many people have issues with these side mount AC units is because the factory may not have allowed enough outside air flow for the condenser. There is also nothing to keep the hot exhaust from being recirculated back into the condenser. I'm a little surprised that they work at all, the way that they are installed.

The AC is working quite effectively with those cardboard baffles. Without them, it was struggling.

I will put 1, 15"x 18" grille behind the AC unit for the exhaust and 1, 15"x10" on either side of the AC for fresh air intake.

I'll post more pics when I'm finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Mod 001.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	20442  
Old 01-20-2022, 08:25 AM   #13
Wavery
TrailManor Master

This is a combo-unit. It says that it comes with a sleeve but it didn't. I wouldn't use it anyway. The way that I opened up that wall allows for sufficient fresh air to enter the cabinet and flow through the condenser.

I thought about putting a catchment tray in there and installing a drain. It has to many possibilities for problems such as you mentioned.

I have decided that a better option is to fiberglass the inside of the cabinet, thereby making the cabinet itself, "The tray". I will take the F/G all the way to the outer edge and even grind a couple of small notches in the outer wall (that will be sealed with F/G) to allow for water to just run down the side of the camper. After-all, the roof air just runs down the roof and down the side of the camper....

I'll post more pics as I go. I wasn't very good at taking pics at the 1st part of this project because I didn't know if there would be much interest.

===================================

I just finished waterproofing the cabinet bottom about 20 minutes ago. I outlined the area to be waterproofed with 1/4 round molding. Then I laid in a layer of 8oz fiberglass cloth, poured the F/G resin on it and brushed it in with a brush. The 1/4 round is used because F/G does not like to make right angle bends. It will just pull away from the surface as it hardens if you go more than a 45 degree bend. In areas where you can't make that bend, you just lay the glass cloth flat on one surface. Then cut another piece to lat flat on the other then fill the joint with resin.

After about an hour of dry time, I'll go out and trim of the excess cloth with a razor blade. By tomorrow morning that cabinet will be as waterproof as some bathtubs.

You'll notice that I left the outer edge flat so that water can just drain down the side of the camper. Just like the water drains down the roof on your camper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 001.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	20443   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 002.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	20444   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 003.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	20445   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 007.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	20446   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 003a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	20451  

Old 01-20-2022, 08:49 AM   #14
Wavery
TrailManor Master

=========Edited from 2008 post:===========
This is probably the most important part of this mod and where the TM factory failed in their installation for that A/C.

It is crucial that the hot exhaust air from the A/C condenser (the square mesh part on the very rear of the A/C) be separated from the air intake that is located on the sides of the A/C and actually inside the cabinet. I accomplished that with a wider opening than the factory opening and those wood dividers that ultimately separate the air-flow. Once the outer grille is installed, the hot air is directed out and down and the cooler (outside) air is directed into the cabinet from the side directed fins on the grille.

The factory installation has the air for cooling the condenser coming from inside the TrailManor, going through the condenser them being exhausted to the outside. What that does is create a vacuum inside the camper and that vacuum is filled from drawing hot outside air, into the camper. That actually defeats the concept of the entire idea of recirculating inside air through the evaporator side of the A/C. What this mod does it keep only cooled air inside the camper and recirculates only cooled air through the evaporative side of the A/C unit. This is how your A/C works in your home. The condensing unit is totally installed on the outside of the house and the hot air from the condensing unit is exhausted totally to the outside and the cool air from the evaporative side of the house is recirculated totally inside.

I hope that make sense.
============================

It's a warm day so the F/G set up pretty fast. I went ahead and finished it up.

I installed framing that also act as air separators behind the AC unit. They are screwed into the frame members of the body with "L" brackets. Then I used metal braces that screwed into the new braces and into the back of the AC unit. This will keep it from bouncing on the shelf and damaging it. This also holds the AC firmly in place.

Then it was time to install the outer grilles.

I'll attach the air deflectors by pop-riveting a piano hinge to the grilles. When the AC is not in use, the air deflectors will cover the 2 outer (air intake) grilles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 008.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	20447   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 009.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	20449   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cabnt fibreglass 008a.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	20450  
Old 01-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #15
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Not my circus, and not my monkeys... But great pix and explanation. Thanks for sharing!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #16
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Great to see these photos again. Am I missing the sheet aluminum that are mounted with piano hinges, swinging into place when the AC is in operation?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #17
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Wow that is fantastic. I do remember reading that post a while back but without pictures it’s kinda confusing but now it makes sense. Do you have details on the waterproofing?

If there’s room would it be worthwhile to add a couple fans pulling air through the condenser and pushing the hot air out the vent? I’m thinking like the radiator/condenser fan in your car.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:33 AM   #18
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Great to see these photos again. Am I missing the sheet aluminum that are mounted with piano hinges, swinging into place when the AC is in operation?

Dave
For some reason, I can't locate the pics of those baffles.

Pretty basic though. I just cut 2-pieces of white sheet aluminum to cover the side exhaust vents (on the outside grille). I used a piano hinge on each to attach the baffles to the grille and a simple lever on the outer side of the baffle to lock it in place while traveling. The whole purpose of those baffles is to keep rain water and debris out of the cabinet when the A/C is not in use.

There is no real need to cover the center part of the grille because the lovers point down and prevent most water intrusion. If a small amount of water does get in, it's not harmful because everything inside the cabinet (including the 2 vertical air separator pieces was covered with a coat of fiberglass (I used epoxy resin for ultimate water resistance).

EDIT...
Now that I look at the pics again, I remember that the outside grille is made up of 3-pieces.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:50 AM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I guess that I should include a picture of the inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Mod 005.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	20452  
Old 01-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Really nice job! Thanks - so many folks are interested in this.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote