TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2003, 02:26 AM   #1

Default WEIGHT ON 1990 M23?

Hi! does anyone know the "Dry Weight of a 1990 M23 Trailmanor?
We would appreciate the info if you know it!

Thanks!
k.c.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re: WEIGHT ON 1990 M23?

Dear KC

I have a collection of old Trailmanor brochures way back to 1989. According to the brochure, the approximate dry weight of the 23M is 2355, and the tongue weight is 280 if you have the standard equipment. Hope this helps. If you have any more questions about the 23M, I can look them up in the book for you. ??? ???

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:21 AM   #3

Dear Bob,

Thanks so much for the information! ;D

We are considering a used 1990 M23 Trailmanor and the dealer told us that the dry weight was 2100 lbs & the tongue was 275 (1075 lbs for extra cargo). Does this sound right to you, since your information says 2355.
Our Previa van has a Super Charge 4 cylindar engine that can tow up to a total of 3500 (rear wheel drive).

We really want a Trailmanor & we have a buyer this weekend for our hardsided tent trailer that we used once (it was a breeze to pull, about 1800 lbs).
We did put a transmission cooler just for reassurance & peace of mind.

Do you have any suggestions on what to look for and what kind of questions to ask regarding this model?

We are thinking of checking out the trailmanor dealer just to see what they have but think they will be too expensive, even for a used one.

Also do you think we really need a sway bar or distributor hitch, since weight is such an issuie. We don't want to max our van out.

Thanks so much!
k.c.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:00 AM   #4
camperboy

You say that your Previa is rear wheel drive, which I doubt. I would expect that van to be FWD. Also, is it a turbocharge or a supercharge?

Anyhow, the previa is going to have soft rear suspension. A weight distributing hitch w/ built in sway control is a VERY good idea. It will make the ride more comfortable, the rig easier to drive, better traction (no light front end from weight being cantilevered off), and it will be safer.

With a 4 cyl your can will most likely work really hard to move the TM down the road. I have seen lots of people towing with V-6 powered vans, but can't recall a 4. Maybe see if you can take it for a "test tow". Remember, you won't be passing much.

I tow with a 1990 M-26 (today's 3023) with a 4.0 V-6 Ranger and don't think I'd want much less to tow it, and more importantly to stop it. My trailer brakes failed coming down the east side of Wolf Creek pass in Colorado this past summer. Went real slow in 1st gear and took a LONG distance to stop at the first safe place.

Good luck with everything, I think the TM is a great trailer.
Camperboy

I apologize, my facts were not straight. The Previa is RWD or AWD. I still suggest a weight distributing hitch w/ sway control. Also, there are some on this board that tow with the Honda Oddesey (SP?) which also has a rating of 3500 lbs. Perhaps thier posts would be interesting.
Camperboy
Old 02-13-2003, 08:14 AM   #5

The Toyota Previa is the only mini van, at least to date, that has "rear" wheel drive. It is a Supercharged, NOT turbo. It is an excellent van.
Can pull just as well as a six cylinder mini van.

My only concern was the added weight from a sway bar, etc.

Thanks for your imput ;D
k.c.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Any chance you can weigh the TM before you buy?  There have been a lot of threads on weight here, and the general concensus seems to be that TMs get heavy real fast.

Dry weight is a very optimistic number.  Does the unit have any factory options - awning, spare tire (yes, it was an option until this year), TV antenna, etc?  They are not included in the dry weight.  Does it have any options added by a previous owner?  They are not included either, of course. Dry weight also assumes, obviously, that the propane, fresh water, gray and black tanks are empty.  Do you plan to travel with all of them empty?  Finally, there is your "stuff".  Microwave, TV, tools, clothes, food, bedding, etc.  I have been unable to get our "stuff" below about 350 pounds, and there are only two of us.

The specified dry weight of my 2720SL is 2680 pounds.  Before our last trip, I hooked it up and weighed it, and the weight-on-wheels, not including the tongue weight being carried by the tow vehicle, was 3340 pounds.  This was with propane and TV aboard, water tanks empty, and without our microwave, food, or clothes.  When I added the microwave, food, and clothes, I'm sure it came up to around 3450.  It adds up surprisingly fast.

Bottom line - you are going to be real close to the 3500 pound limit on your tow vehicle, and that's not a good situation.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 10:20 AM   #7

Thanks Bill!

It doesn't have an awning, but does have an antena (which we don't really need). Is it easy to remove?
I have a microwave but don't plan to bring it camping.(we plan to take a trip to Yosemite in June and no hookups).
I won't be taking much but food, clothes, bedding, but your right all the "stuff" adds up.
Our friend is going to go and "scrutinize" the trailer for us tomorrow (it's in another state and he happens to be there!)  Unfortunately, he is not a Trailmanor fan, so we are prepared to hear alittle bit of "knit picking" and are prepared.
He's is going to try and find out the "true" weight, if he can.
I know this propably sounds crazy... but how hard is it to remove the oven?  It must weigh a lot! I can believe I would use it that much out in the wild?
What do you think?
I really like the Trailmanor and this seems "perfect"!

Hey, Do you know is the M23 (1990) means that its closing measurements is 23 closed or 23 feet open?

If anyone knows that would be very helpful!

Old 02-13-2003, 10:25 AM   #8

Thanks Bill!

It doesn't have an awning, but does have an antena (which we don't really need). Is the antena easy to remove?
I have a microwave but don't plan to bring it camping.(we plan to take a trip to Yosemite in June and no hookups). I cooked on our 3 burner stove and it worked out just fine.

I won't be taking much but food, clothes, bedding, but your right all the "stuff" adds up.
Our friend is going to go and "scrutinize" the trailer for us tomorrow (it's in another state and he happens to be there!)  Unfortunately, he is not a Trailmanor fan, so we are prepared to hear alittle bit of "knit picking" and are prepared.
He's is going to try and find out the "true" weight, if he can.
I know this propably sounds crazy... but how hard is it to remove the oven?  It must weigh a lot!
I can't believe I would use it that much out in the wild?
What do you think?
I really like the Trailmanor and this one seems seems "perfect"!

Hey, Do you know if the M23 (1990) means that its closing measurements is 23 closed or 23 feet open?

If anyone knows and can let me know I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks for everyones help and imput!
k.c. ;D
Old 02-13-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Dear KC

I got my 1990 TM book out and here are the stats on the trailer. Length closed: 20' 0", length open: 23'11"Dry weight standard equipment:2355 lbs., tongue weight (dry) 280 lbs., approximate load capacity: 1561 lbs. According to the brochure for 1990, the only options were the following:spare tire and carrier and cover, privacy curtains, rear window awning,roof vent with 12 volt lights, awning, and tv antenna. So these are the only items that would increase the weight of the trailer. I would sooner go with the weights that I just gave to you over the weight from the dealer. If you plan on keeping your tow vehicle, you might want to get a hitch on the vehicle that you would use to tow something heavier than your popup. Once you have the hitch, you could hook up the Trailmanor and give it a try to see what it is like empty. That sure will tell the story before you invest in the Trailmanor. The hitch can always be used, and you will not be out a lot of money. ???

If you have any other questions, just let me know. ???

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #10

Thanks Bob!

Your a wealth of information! ;D ;D ;D

k.c.