TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
bigjoe

Default help

Hi all

Well I just picked up my mini 19 today. It has sway bar/ sway distribution... My TV is a 2007 Kia Sorrento 4x4 can tow 5,000 lbs. So I am under the limit. My concern is when I turn I hear noise coming from about the front to center of vehicle when I turn. ALso when I lower the Jack to unhook it does not. just stays hooked on ? Need help / suggestions

Thanks
Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I am not sure where you are getting the noise from TV or TM. I am also not sure what you are talking about when you say “book” and “in book”. If you are talking about the ball not hooking onto the trailer you sometimes have to jostle things a bit to get the lock to engage. Hope you are not driving around if it isn’t locked on.

My first thought was if you have WDH the noise could be coming from your bars being synched up too tight. I had some problem with this but could tell from the noise where it was coming from. I actually needed lighter bars. I am not sure if this helps, maybe someone else will chime in.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Lesherp is right. We need some clarification on what you are asking. Can you review and redo? Perhaps your phone's auto-correct has run wild.

You also need to distinguish between "sway bar" and the "springbars" that are part of the weight distribution hitch. They are not the same. If you can give us a manufacturer and model number of the part you are talking about, we can take it from there.

Thanks.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
bigjoe

Hi Guys

Sorry for my phone's auto correct did go wild.... Now on the computer... I found the noise and it was the sway bar seem to be tight, so that issue is taken care of.... Now if I can unhook I will be ok.

Joe

Note: Any of you guys have a sway bar on yours? I heard you don't really need it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Maybe a picture of your coupling might help.

My 2720 uses a 2" ball. I do not really like the lock mechanism, it is not easy to lock/unlock. It is a little late here on the right coast but note that when full unlocked you can fit a finger under the cover.

Also after hitching I generally move forward a few feet and do a quick stop. If the hitch is not fully locked down it goes "clunk". Having a safety pin through the hole helps also.

ps may be teaching how to such eggs but to unhitch just jacking a bit doesn't work. I need to go up about 2" more and then the TV pops free.

pps I just use a hitch with no extra bars or springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hitchunlock.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	11571  
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Check out this post for how to get unhooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuyork View Post
Hi Guys
Now if I can unhook I will be ok.
Joe
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14357

If that doesn't work, the name of the thread is "help, I can't get uncoupled from my vehicle"

Believe me I have had every situation imaginable and the folks on here always have an answer.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Maybe a picture of your coupling might help.

My 2720 uses a 2" ball. I do not really like the lock mechanism, it is not easy to lock/unlock. It is a little late here on the right coast but note that when full unlocked you can fit a finger under the cover.

Also after hitching I generally move forward a few feet and do a quick stop. If the hitch is not fully locked down it goes "clunk". Having a safety pin through the hole helps also.

ps may be teaching how to such eggs but to unhitch just jacking a bit doesn't work. I need to go up about 2" more and then the TV pops free.

pps I just use a hitch with no extra bars or springs.
Thanks Padgett... I will see if I can take a pic tomorrow as I will be on the road first thing in the morning from GA to Branson, Mo.. then to Colorado... Will spend a couple of days in Branson so hopefully I can unhitch.. As I jack up the ball/ hitch wont uncouple....Maybe I need to work with it more...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #8
funpilot
TrailManor Master

I too have had similar problems. I usually resolve it by raising the tongue and jumping on the hitch and that sometimes works, or moving the truck back and forth a bit as others have noted, but it always has resulted in freeing it all up. I do hear a "clunk" when it releases ... Other times, it works like it is suppose to, so no clue as to why it is problematic and why it is not.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
bigjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=14357

If that doesn't work, the name of the thread is "help, I can't get uncoupled from my vehicle"

Believe me I have had every situation imaginable and the folks on here always have an answer.

Thanks BaileysMOM

Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
bigjoe

Thanks everyone for your tips... We will try it again tomorrow