TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlover View Post
Oh now that's something I didn't think of... I have the 14" tires... did you have to raise the TM to 15" to do the upgrade? Also I hope you don't mind but can you share the types of tires you are using? Much appreciated...
I replaced my 215/75/14-C's with 215/75/15-D Maxxis 8008. Did not need to install lift kit and had plenty of clearance (2 1/2 in.), but I think my '07-2720 has an axle with more angle than others. I keep tire pressure at 60 psi, cause there is less hard bounce and vibration in the TM.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlover View Post
Question is weather to use a WDH that we own or not? I read on here that the WDH should not be used with trucks due to weight of truck being shifted to the TM axle which may cause tire blow outs...
Despite what has been said or implied here, a WDH does not transfer any truck weight to the TM. What a WDH does is move some of the TM hitch weight - already included in the TM numbers - to the TM axle, and some more of the hitch weight to the front axle of the truck.

In theoretical discussions, a WDH moves 1/3 of the hitch weight to the TM axle, and 1/3 to the truck front axle, leaving the remaining 1/3 on the hitch. So if you have a 450 pound hitch weight, it moves 150 pounds of it to the TM axle and another 150 pounds to the truck front axle. I don't think it ever works out to that nice even 3-way split, but it moves things nicely in that direction.

When it is posted that a WDH moves weight onto the TM axle, what is meant is that without a WDH, the truck rear axle would carry that first 150 pounds, unburdening the TM axle by that amount. And when you use a WDH, it puts that 150 pounds back on the TM axle. But remember that the 150 pounds is already included in the TM gross weight that you mentioned, so it is not an "increase", and it certainly doesn't move truck weight onto the TM axle.

As for sway, a pure WDH has no effect on sway, and will neither increase nor decrease the tendency to sway. You can purchase a WDH with integral sway control, but most of us agree that it is not needed unless you load your TM in a strange manner. (Recent reports suggest that the new 2922 model may be an exception.) For a recent discussion of sway versus weight distribution, see posts 16 and 17 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...d.php?p=118414

BTW, I think the Rebel, like most new trucks, has a built-in sway control as part of the built-in brake controller, which makes the question moot.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
funpilot
TrailManor Master

My WDH (BlueOx Swaypro) moved nothing to the front axle. Does that mean it was installed wrong?
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Bill is entirely correct, a WDH does not add or change any weight (other than that of the WDH itself) .

What it does is to add force vectors. Think to a bow. Strung or unstrung the weight is the same but a good English longbow takes a strong man to string and all of the force is within by the bow with an equal and opposite at each tip. A wound spring.

A WDH acts a lot like a strung bow. except the arm lengths are different so the effect on each end is different and translated to a rotating moment on both the TM (all on the single axle) and the TV (to unload the rear and load the front). Since the arm is shorter to the rear axle than the front of the TV, the effect is felt more at the rear and less at the front.

Now if the arms were straight then I would agree there would ne no anti-sway effect but they are not (the tongue forms an "A") and as the angle between the TV and TM changes, so will the force (why going over a bump can be interesting) so there will probably be some dampning effect but how much I cannot say.

Anyone who wants to discuss the physics involved can contact me offline, I imagine most lost interest at "force vectors".

ps this is all conjecture, I have never had a WDH (though my TM came with mounts).
Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
funpilot
TrailManor Master

Just got off the phone with Swaypro. They think I have the wrong size sway bars that also help distribute weight. Mine are for heavier tongue weight than I have.
Dometic 1110 Compressor Refrigerator
BlueOx SwayPro Hitch
2.5 inch lift kit
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Yada Wireless backup camera
funpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 PM   #16
Ramlover

Wow a lot of great infor here and answers my question. Bill thank you for correcting my thinking and others. I can see that the weight of the tongue is transfered to the front axle of the TV insead of the rear but admit that I still picture some possible additional weight of the tongue or even the tongue plus the TM being transfered to the front axle when driving on uneven street or going over bump in the road. Perhaps that weight os neglegable but o do see that no weight transfers to the TM.

I will get the truck and see if the WDH is even needed and perhaps just get a sway control bar? Anyone use one towing a TM? Perhaps its all overkill?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Ramlover, I love my truck and have had no issues with towing the TM. I see where you're going with your question and concern. I have never weighed my truck loaded and with the TM connected, so I can't say for sure where I stand on payload verses towing weight. I don't use a WDH and have had zero problems with the rig. I did have to change out my original straight hitch. I had a hitch with a 3-4" rise and it leveled the trailer out almost perfectly with my truck. As you mentioned, try it without the WDH and go from there.

The Rebel is a great looking truck, but I think when I get a replacement in a couple of years I will stick with the big horn version than the Rebel. My personal preference is to spend my money on the more useful bells and whistles, but I will admit I might take one for a spin when it comes time for my new truck. Might even be a bit jealous when I see one cruising around town. Good luck with the pending purchase and have fun and safe travels.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Here is the difference between my 2006 and your 2007. I chose 205x75r15 LRD rather than 215 or 225 for this reason & still there is occasional rubbing on excursions

I have another plastic wheel well liner and one of my projects is to remove the original liner ad see if I can reshape the opening for a little more clearance. Think another inch would be enough, right now just have almost a finger on the street side and almost two on the curb side with a 1/2 tank of water and empty thetford and gray.

About the only other thing I could do would be to relocate the battery (70 lbs) from the far street side rear to the curb side but think reworking the wheel well will be enough since I do not drive on ungraded dirt roads.

Personally would rather radius the wheel well than add a lift kit.

Also think the ecoboost-type engine is the future of towing particularly if planning at altitude but Jeep/Ram may not get that until 2016 (a direct injection turbo Pentastar is in the works).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	streetsideclear.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	11178  
Old 02-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #19
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I will get the truck and see if the WDH is even needed and perhaps just get a sway control bar? Anyone use one towing a TM? Perhaps its all overkill?
The Andersen No Sway Hitch will certainly stop any sway and does have the added benefit of weight distribution. There are only a couple of us on the forum that use this brand, but it sure has worked well for me and is one of the most precisely manufactured items I've ever purchased.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 AM   #20
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
I chose 205x75r15 LRD rather than 215 or 225 for this reason & still there is occasional rubbing on excursions ... I have another plastic wheel well liner and one of my projects is to remove the original liner ad see if I can reshape the opening for a little more clearance.
I have always wondered - and perhaps this is the direction you are headed. In my 2002 TM, the plastic wheel well liner was screwed to the floor inside the TM. Would it be possible to take a strip of 1x2 and build a rim around the opening? Screw the 1x2 rim to the floor, and the plastic liner to the top of the rim. This would raise the liner by almost an inch, and prevent scuffing as the tire moves up and down.

Of course it does nothing if your tire is scuffing on the sides of the opening, as opposed to the underside of the wheelwell liner. But I don't think that is an issue. Wasn't for me, at any rate.

I never tried this, but I always wondered. Seems easy. A little paint on the 1x2, a little caulk, and it should be resistant to road grime.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote