TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #1
Ramlover

Default New RAM REBEL with WDH

Hello all... I'm new on here and have been readind thread after thread but can't seem to find the answers to the questions that I have. So here goes.

We own a 2005 2720 TM... we are looking to upgrade the TV to the new RAM REBEL... for those that don't know its a new truck due to come out in summer 2015. For the purpose of this thread its identical to hemi v8 RAM 1500 with 3.2-3.91 gears (unsure which way to go at the moment). Question is weather to use a WDH that we own or not? I read on here that the WDH should not be used with trucks due to weight of truck being shifted to the TM axle which may cause tire blow outs... then other threads I'm reading say the opposite that without the WDH on trucks that sway becomes an issue and the use of a wDH will not have any effect on the TM axle or tires...

So what should I do...? To use the WHD or not to use WDH?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I've towed mine both ways and I prefer to tow with my WDH. My suggestion is that when you get your new TV, try it with, then without and see which way you prefer. To me, the trailer feels more connected, I've never experienced sway with or without my WDH and have never had tire problems, but plan on buying new tires when they get 3 to 4 years old.

Good luck and welcome to the TM Forum.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Ramlover

Thanks for the quick reply... my main concern her is not to exceed my TM GVWR which correct me if I'm wrong is only #3500 empty its #3200 so that only leaves #300 which I believe we use up when its fully loaded. So wouldn't the WDH add to the weight being transfered to the TM from the truck?
Old 02-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Welcome to the forum. I seem to be confused some, are talking about exceeding the Trailmanor weight or this new truck? I have a Ram with the V8 Hemi engine and am not even near my max limit for towing. I have never had any issue with sway when towing even on a windy day going over bridges.
If you do go with the V8 make sure you get the tow package. I can tell you when I tow my 2619, going up hills or mountains I have no problems maintaining 60 mph or more.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Yes, but it also adds to the front axle of the TV. It levels the load and keeps your headlights from blinding oncoming motorists. My TM weighs 3,800 to 3,900 lbs when fully loaded for camping and that is over the axle's 3,500 rating, but have not heard of many Dexter axle failures. I have upgraded my wheels and tires, cause that's where you hear the most common failure lies.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
Ramlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Yes, but it also adds to the front axle of the TV. It levels the load and keeps your headlights from blinding oncoming motorists. My TM weighs 3,800 to 3,900 lbs when fully loaded for camping and that is over the axle's 3,500 rating, but have not heard of many Dexter axle failures. I have upgraded my wheels and tires, cause that's where you hear the most common failure lies.
Oh now that's something I didn't think of... I have the 14" tires... did you have to raise the TM to 15" to do the upgrade? Also I hope you don't mind but can you share the types of tires you are using? Much appreciated...
Old 02-20-2015, 01:09 AM   #7
Ramlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
Welcome to the forum. I seem to be confused some, are talking about exceeding the Trailmanor weight or this new truck? I have a Ram with the V8 Hemi engine and am not even near my max limit for towing. I have never had any issue with sway when towing even on a windy day going over bridges.
If you do go with the V8 make sure you get the tow package. I can tell you when I tow my 2619, going up hills or mountains I have no problems maintaining 60 mph or more.
How do you like the truck? How does it toe? Do you use a WDH?

Okthe topic in this thread is more about how the WDH affects weigh distribution to the TM however lets talk about the poi t you bring up.

Thanks for the input... actually I spent quite a it of time on the RAM web site studying this... they actually have a pretty cool tool you could use. Since you mention it... I think yiu may ne surprised as I was with the limited maximum payload weight capacity of the trucks... that's where you may be coming close after weight of passangers and equipment in the back. Max payload is only 1650 with a v8 when toeing. Now you are correct the maximum toeing capacity is much higher. But while towing this too is reduced...

Check out this link. Set the express 1500 with crew cab and 5'7" bed 4x4 and look down to the 5.7 v8 hemi now click on the open towing and payload calculator. Move the slidebar to see how adding payload reduces toeing capacity. Now payload is maxed at only 1454 lbs and towing is maxed at 10150. However you don't get to the max towing capacity if you are loading the truck. I found this tool interesting in that payload is not that much at all when you think about a truck.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
Ramlover

Here is the link to the RAM web. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide
Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #9
Terryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramlover View Post
Hello all... I'm new on here and have been readind thread after thread but can't seem to find the answers to the questions that I have. So here goes.

We own a 2005 2720 TM... we are looking to upgrade the TV to the new RAM REBEL... for those that don't know its a new truck due to come out in summer 2015. For the purpose of this thread its identical to hemi v8 RAM 1500 with 3.2-3.91 gears (unsure which way to go at the moment). Question is weather to use a WDH that we own or not? I read on here that the WDH should not be used with trucks due to weight of truck being shifted to the TM axle which may cause tire blow outs... then other threads I'm reading say the opposite that without the WDH on trucks that sway becomes an issue and the use of a wDH will not have any effect on the TM axle or tires...

So what should I do...? To use the WHD or not to use WDH?
I don't see any advantage to not using a WDH. Using one even if you have no sway problems only helps with weight distribution of the over all rig.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Getting back to the original question, I'd go with the lowest (numerically) axle available because the 8 speed automagic has a granny (4.71:1) first gear so 3.2 or even a 3.06 should be fine even on the steepest hills with the old torque monster hemi and should help cure its thirst for high octane (last time I looked it needed 89 PON).

Mine came with 215x75x14s and I replaced with 205x75x15 LRDs on 6" wheels. These are only slightly taller and run at 65 psi. You need to watch the clearance at the top of the wheel well on the street side though. It is only plastic but may rub without a lift kit. Curb side has not been an issue but I run the TM light (little cargo and less than a 1/2 tank of water).

I have never felt a need for a WDH but do have the factory towing package.