TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
campersam9

We have a 2014 GMC Acadia and I will need sway protection. We travel all over the USA. We just got back from a 4 week trip with a pop up. When I pulled a 33' travel trailer with my 3/4 ton truck I had a Hensley Arrow hitch it was the best. But for the Acadia it would kill it. I was reading about bull cams but know nothing about it. We have seen deadly crashes with RV's and we saw a very bad one in Texas. I do not want a cheap one just to get by with but one that will work when needed. This trailer is a 2007 3124KS and I am not sure I can pull it. My pop up was 3000 lbs and you never knew it was back there. Plus I will only go 65 MPH max that is it. Tires are not made for speed! I have to say I have gotten more information from this Owners page than anywhere! The Company is no help at all.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

With the rated 5200lbs capacity, you should be good. Just determine or weigh for tongue weight. Be informed, be safe.

RV

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
MisterP

Not to question the poster, but am I the only one who thinks a class five receiver on an Acadia is a bit strange?

There is a tag on the receiver that states the receiver capacity with and without a WDH, or in some cases that a WDH is not recommended. Along with vehicle tow capacity etc. already discussed, this should be another factor in the decision process.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Campersam -

I'm not quite sure where you are going with some of this, so let me throw out some comments. Take them for what they are worth.

The Acadia is rated to tow 5200 pounds "when properly equipped". This should be sufficient, but not generous, for towing any TM. You will find it to be marginal but do-able in steep high altitude terrain such as the Rockies or high Sierras.

The term "when properly equipped" means different things to different manufacturers. It certainly means a weight distributing hitch, a 7-wire electrical harness and connector, and an electric brake controller. It usually means an auxiliary transmission cooler (in addition to the standard transmission cooler), sometimes an engine oil cooler, a heavy-duty engine cooling system, sometimes a specific rear-end ratio, and sometimes a special suspension package. The manufacturers don't like to lay out these details, and usually hide them behind an asterisk in the specs list. But if you hunt long enough, you can find them. And you should. Apparently the Acadia meets these needs if you buy the optional V92 towing package.

The Acadia's tow rating is not based on the new towing standard, SAE J-207. Vehicle manufacturers are gradually (and reluctantly) adopting the standard, and GMC's pickups are rated according to the standard. I'm sure the Acadia will be a year or two - but not yet.

I don't think you really mean a Class 5 hitch. That is a monster, and it won't fit your vehicle. You need a Class III or Class III/IV hitch. Some Class IIIs are rated at 3500 pounds, some higher, so choose carefully.

You probably do not need sway control. TMs are specifically built not to sway - that's why a TM has such a high hitch weight. I don't know more than one or two people who use anti-sway - but of course anti-sway will do no harm. You might read the sway control tutorial in the TM technical library (first forum in the list).

The Hensley Arrow is a wonderful hitch. But very expensive, and by most accounts much heavier than a more common chain-lift hitch (which is very heavy to start with). Don't forget that this weight increases the tongue weight that your vehicle has to carry. Most, but not all, TM owners use a standard chain-lift WDH from Reese, Curt, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, or a number of manufacturers who all seem to make similar hitches.

I have no idea what a bull cam is.

Keep the questions coming. The members of TMO have an enormous amount of collective experience.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
campersam9

It is a class 3/5 and I had an easy time putting the hitch on.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just an aside but the Class IV hitch on my GC is higher than most add-ons because it fits into and is in line with the "frame rails" (monocoque channels). A few years ago I was rearended by a F-150 that folded its front end around my receiver and deployed both air bags. My tailgate was dented but still sealed , worked properly, and the vehicle drove straight. The F*rd had to be towed.

I am a great believer in factory towing packages and really takes a build sheet to see all of the changes. Do know that my trans rarely reaches 180F even when towing on a hot day because can read on the dash. Staying in lockup makes a real difference.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #17
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Not to question the poster, but am I the only one who thinks a class five receiver on an Acadia is a bit strange?
Yes, I question.
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #18
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Naw, a fifth wheel in an Acadia would be strange. Finding a 2" ball/adapter for a 2.5" receiver would just be hard. Maybe it was used for GMC commercials.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by campersam9 View Post
It is a class 3/5 and I had an easy time putting the hitch on.
I've never heard of a Class 3/5 hitch. Can you tell me who makes it? How big is the shank (the solid steel piece that goes into the hitch recever on your vehicle)? A Class 3 hitch has a 2 x 2 shank. A Class 5 hitch has a 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 shank. Perhaps there is an adapter of some kind?

I try to learn something every day.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #20
campersam9

Yes you are correct! I purchased a Curt MFG # 13424 and it is a class 3 hitch. Last night I had some pain killers due to my health problem. I am sorry for the miss on the hitch. But I have to say it was easy to install on the car. It is hidden and it worked very well. I purchased everything from Curt I do not like mix and match.