TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Question How to add second set of speakers

I am putting in a radio and would like a second set of speakers. I see that some have done this and I am wondering where you ran the wires and where you put the speakers. I am thinking of having them in boxes so they can be used as front speakers for the TV I plan on mounting on the shower wall and also taken outside if I want some sounds out there.

I would like to know what others have done as many of you seem very innovative. I am really not sure where to run the wires so they will not be in the way.
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
PopBeavers

My exterior speakers are plugged into the radio at would normally be the rear speakers. The interior TM speakers are plugged into the front speaker wires.

I ran some wire from the stereo to the back of the fridge, where they are easily accessible by opening the rear vents behind the fridge on the outside of the TM when it is popped open. These wires have 1/4 inch phono jacks.

I have about 20 feet of wire, with the same jacks. I slide the 20 foot wire through the holes in the fridge vent, plug them in, and then close up fir vent panel. The connection is inside, out of the weather.

I have a pair of speakers that I got cheap at a garage sale. I can place them outside anywhere my wires will reach. This is normally on the curb side of the TM, on the ground, just under the TM in case it rains.

If I wanted ot go further I would just need to add more wire.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Remember that, like a noisy generator, outside speakers won't make you popular at a crowded campground. Use them carefully. Of course, if you boondock 40 miles from nowhere, as Wayne does, that's a different story.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Remember that, like a noisy generator, outside speakers won't make you popular at a crowded campground. Use them carefully. Of course, if you boondock 40 miles from nowhere, as Wayne does, that's a different story.

Bill
I would never use my exterior speakers at all in an RV park. Everyone is too close together, like a drive in theater (remember those).

I will use them quietly in a forest service campground, where people are spread out. I can use the fade control to control the difference between indoor volume and outdoor volume.

When camping at a mountain bike race, it is very noisy anyway so I let my son the racer do pretty much what he wanted and no one cared. The other teenagers would come over to listen and the adults just either didn't care, or were happy to get rid of their kid for awhile.