TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
SPribnow

Default Tow Vehicle Choice - Tundra or GX470

I just purchased a 2619 Trailmanor and own two vehicles that could serve as the tow vehicle. The first is a 2006 Toyota Tundra crew cab. The second is a 2005 Lexus GX470 SUV. Both appear to be capable of towing the TM. Is it just personal preference as to which one should serve primarily as the tow vehicle, or would one be superior? I need to pick up the TM soon and would like to wire only one of the two vehicles with the brake controller. Thanks
Old 08-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
brulaz

My guess is that the Tundra Crew has a longer wheel base than the Lexus and would be a better tow vehicle for that reason alone. I'm assuming both have the tow capacity for the trailer and sufficient payload capacity for the trailer's tongue weight (up to 720# without a WDH), passengers and cargo.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
SPribnow

Yes, they can both tow about 6500 lbs. The wheelbase of the Lexus is shorter. The Lexus has an air suspension if that is important. The TM comes with a weight distributing anti-sway hitch. Best I can tell, either would be a good tow vehicle, but I thought I would ask others who are more experienced.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
rumbleweed

You don't mention the size of your camping family ( kids and pets) but if the crew cab fits the family, I would choose that. Once you get going, you are going to have external grills, water containers, leveling blocks, possibly a waste water tote and many other things you may want to take along. It is best to add as little as possible of this weight to the TM so the bed of the Tundra will be much more practical in my opinion. A quick look at the Lexas specs I could not find mention of a aux trans cooler. A must for mountainous areas but certainly nice even on relatively flat terrain. Although both vehicles should work, I think you will be more comfortable and relaxed towing with the Tundra.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
You don't mention the size of your camping family ( kids and pets) but if the crew cab fits the family, I would choose that. Once you get going, you are going to have external grills, water containers, leveling blocks, possibly a waste water tote and many other things you may want to take along. It is best to add as little as possible of this weight to the TM so the bed of the Tundra will be much more practical in my opinion. A quick look at the Lexas specs I could not find mention of a aux trans cooler. A must for mountainous areas but certainly nice even on relatively flat terrain. Although both vehicles should work, I think you will be more comfortable and relaxed towing with the Tundra.
^^ What he said ^^
Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
SPribnow

Thanks. It is just 4 of us most of the time so the Tundra is sufficient for carrying everyone. The back of the Tundra is open so I will probably also need some kind of lockable cover in case of rain. The back of the Lexus is not large but it does provide covered lockable storage.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Bob&Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPribnow View Post
The back of the Tundra is open so I will probably also need some kind of lockable cover in case of rain. The back of the Lexus is not large but it does provide covered lockable storage.
I got a folding hard bed cover made by Extang - it doesn't physically lock but when the latches underneath are secured and the tailgate is locked, there is no way to get into the truck bed. Think it was around $700 installed. And, if I need to, it is very easy to remove completely and reinstall.

We wanted the folding cover as we intend to move up to a fifth wheel in the next couple of years.

Regards,

Bob
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

FWIW, I really agree with Bob / Rumbleweed, and HarveyRV, about choosing the Tundra over the Lexus. I have a good friend in AZ who has a 3326, and tows it with a Tundra. My envy of his cargo space knows no bounds. He started off with a lockable spring-loaded hard tonneau cover - at the campsite he just raised it, and had access to more storage space I could imagine. Eventually he decided he wanted space for taller stuff, things that wouldn't fit under the tonneau, and replaced the tonneau cover with a cap. Now he can climb in there with his stuff - a great advantage when it is raining, or when the thing he wants is at the front and hard to get at.

With the third row seats folded down, my Explorer has lots of space in the wayback - but nothing like his.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default GX470 is only a Sequoia, with leather...

and a WAY nicer-to-open rear hatch.

Yes they both work really well; but if you ever challenge yourself on nasty, unpaved mountain roads -- you'll want to be using the Tundra.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
M&M Hokie

Here is my solution for a now-you-see it, now-you-don't tonneau for my Tundra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 007.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	4917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Forum Pictures 011.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	4918