TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #1
Janet H
Site Team

Default Right sidebar coming soon

In the next few days you'll see a layout change to the forum home page - a new right side bar with a recent posts feed.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

NICE. My only ask is to keep the site mobile friendly. It’s pretty rare that I get to sit down and crack open a laptop computer…
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Not a fan of the side bar. I use a mini iPad normally to read the forum site, so things are already small. To adapt, cause I'm older. I up the web page to 115%. In doing that, the page is easier for me to read, but the side bar is now only half visible, which doesn't make it as usable as it was intended. I know I can click the up arrow at the top rt to hide it somewhat, but seeing half a bar is an unneeded distraction. I checked the site on my cell and with that at a higher setting, 150% the side bar is basically gone, so its a none issue on my phone. Is it possible to enable folks to hide the side bar, without causing too much work or reprogramming. I hate causing work if its just a me thing.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
Ramblin' Rec

Also not a fan, and also on a tablet. I just click on "New Posts" when I want to see the latest posts. Which is most of the time. So for me, it's redundant and in the way.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default It needs some kind of "close" or shrink" control.

I am not personally affected, because I only view the TMO forum on a 4K Television "monitor". But this issue occurs in many applications, such as word processors, which often contain right-side "panels" of substantial width. In the case of Word Processors (such as LibreOffice), the contents of these right-side "panels" often provide for additional format controls. But they consume A LOT of horizontal space, and the vertical bar which separates the right panel from the man content is almost universally provided with a tool to show/hide the right panel content.

In TMO forum, the badly designed-panel provides a vertical shrink tool, but the "emptied" panel still wastes the entire panel area with full-width "panel menu bar" with only one menu item on the left, the vertical show/hid control on the right of the menu bar.

ONE 'FIXED' Design (more complex, not recommended):

If the only menu item will always be "Recent Threads", then it's left side label ">>" should be converted into a control. Clicking the control (or swiping it to the right, for the cases of the User viewing and controlling from a touchscreen) WILL shrink the menu bar to be only a small control on the right side, viewed as "<<".

When the right panel's title bar has been shrunk to that small round/square icon, the main "left panel" content width should expand to fill nearly all of the current right panel's width - leaving only a narrow column, containing the control re-enable the "Recent Threads" Panel.

A BETTER "FIXED" UI Design (simple, solves all issues expressed by other persons):

Simply convert the current panel menu's "double-Up" control to be an "X" control, closing the panel and allowing the main content panel to be expanded to the full width of the parent element. (The sidebar would completely vanish.). In order to allow a user to re-enable display of the "Recent Threads" sidebar panel, it can just be added as another menu item within the "Quick Links" menu.

A DIFFERENT AND NEW COMPLAINT:
The fact that the panel contains only 12 thread items, AND is not scrollable, is a separate "problem". The list of Threads should be made scrollable for a much larger number of entries, and it should probably be more tall (maybe 60-80% of the height of the parent element, if fixed... and maybe further enhanced by adding a size control for the panel, in it's bottom right corner.)

These two changes only involved relatively simple HTML/CSS/JS, and I feel that the panel should be enhanced in this way as well.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #6
Janet H
Site Team

Today there is an option available for a mobile view. (no right side bar and simpler navigation)

You'll need to login to the full site and then scroll down to the lower left corner and select the mobile view. If decide you don't want to use the mobile view - scroll the bottom of the page (center) to select "return to full site"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobileskin.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	21065

The mobile skin looks like this and most Menu items are under the "hamburger menu" in the top right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobileskin_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	21066
Old 06-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default 'Moble View' unfortunately removes other information as well.

In particular, the "Last Post" column within the main panel.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:27 AM   #8
Janet H
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
In particular, the "Last Post" column within the main panel.
The mobile view is limited but it's also very fast. In the coming months we'll be moving to new software (Xenforo) and that should alleviate many of these issues. In the meantime we're making do with aging software
Old 06-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Janet, that's what I do with my aging body....
Couldn't help myself.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote