TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
MissingTheNW2001

Post Assistance with Buying Decision

We are comtemplating buying a TM for our family. My wife and have two children and one on the way (due 11/05). We love camping and the outdoors, but tent camping has proven a bit too taxing with all the setup and take down etc. The last straw was our May trip to Cades Cove in GSMNP when it rained the entire weekend. Not cool to be in a tent all weekend with two boys (7,3), an Airdale and a pregnant wife. She was a trooper, but I think we're ready for a change.

We made a trip today to the largest RV dealer in Charlotte to look at PU campers. Wow, what a disappontment. They only sell Fleetwood and while they did have quite a few models, just trying getting a salesperson worth a darn proved to be our first challenge. Secondly, we never really received a demonstration of the Fleetwood's features and benefits. So much for sales 101. Finally, our own investigation was very disappointing. I had done some research over the internet and narrowed it down to a few models. We had thought maybe we could settle for something a little less expensive than a TM. After this visit, I'm leaning more toward a TM. But before I make a $$ commitment of that magnitude, I have a few questions for anyone kind enough to share your knowledge and experience.

1. Can you speak to TM's resale value?
2. Any trouble with TM leaking etc? (I mentiond the TM today to the salesperson and he said he would not recommend one. Resale poor on it and the HiLo. He also mentioned leakage issues).
3. We will be storing camper away from home on an RV storage lot without overhead cover. Does this damage or weather the TM? I would hate to pay this kind of money and have seals etc going bad after a few years.
4. Have a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (4cyl). Contemplating buying a new truck, but awaiting the arrival of the 2006 Toyota Tundra (8/06). My Tacoma owners manual quotes a Gross Trailer Weight of 3,500 lbs. Dry weight of TM model 3023 is 2,915 lbs plus a some limited gear and I'm at 3,250 lbs. Horsepower wise, I think I'm OK there also as the PreRunner is geared pretty low. Not optimum, but workable until 8/06. Any thoughts?
5. The only dealer that pops up on TM webiste here for my zip is RV's 4 less in Greer SC. My first impression over the phone was a bit iffy? I would like to speak to a couple of other dealers as well. Saw where someone was kind enought to post a dealer list, but could not find out how to access the PDF file.
6. What's the average discont one can expect to negotiate off of MSRP?

Thanks for your time and assistance as we make this important decision.

Jeff and Sissy