TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
trailbiker

Default Trailer Dolley

I am in the process of storing our trailer for the winter. Our trailer will just fit into the garage and I am looking for some advice. I am considering getting a trailer dolly. The garage is in an alley and backing the trailer into the garage would be a real challenge. I don't think I would be able to push it into the garage using the small wheel that came with the tongue jack. Do anyone have any experience with this?
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Some of us have the Harbor Freight dolly (~$60) and it works well for helping to maneuver the TM into tight spaces. But it will only work if you're pushing on flat ground. If there's any slope, you'll need some kind of power. I have a winch bolted to the floor of my garage, others have used a power caster (self-powered dolly).
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
rumbleweed

I used a harbor freight hand dolly for a year. It worked ok on level ground. When I changed where I stored TM to a slight incline I bought a power dolly. Expensive but well worth the price. I can put the TM in a tight space with one hand.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
T and C
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
I used a harbor freight hand dolly for a year. It worked ok on level ground. When I changed where I stored TM to a slight incline I bought a power dolly. Expensive but well worth the price. I can put the TM in a tight space with one hand.
I looked at two different brands of powered dollys at the Pomona RV show. The cheapest ones are around $1000. There seem to be two kinds: One kind has an on-board battery for power, the other you plug in somewhere.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
rumbleweed

I have the AC5 from the link below. Unless you need to move the TM somewhere where there is no Ac power, I would get the plug in version. The power cord is plenty long enough. The brake function is very handy if you are working on an incline and need to stop or slow down the TM> I rewired mine to use the TM battery rather than an aux battery for brake. Just simpler to use. The guy there was very easy to work with. I used mine yesterday and put the wheels in the exact spot as last time with one hand. The way I look at it, the cost of the dolly is much less than the doctor bill when I hurt my back trying to use my hand dolly.

http://powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html
Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
mbd4kids

If you are looking for a power caster, we have a Power Caster-2 for sale. We are looking to get ~500.00 for it. We bought it with our trailer from the previous owners for $700, but have only used it twice. I figure $100.00 /use is not a bargain, but don't need it. We are outside of Philadelphia, but our son is in Springfield MA, and comes home almost every weekend. Let me know if you are interested and we can send it up with him.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
RejoiceWay
Site Sponsor

Got a Park-it-360 - works great: http://parkit360.com/pricing/p360s/usa.html
Old 11-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
trailbiker

Default Trailer Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbd4kids View Post
If you are looking for a power caster, we have a Power Caster-2 for sale. We are looking to get ~500.00 for it. We bought it with our trailer from the previous owners for $700, but have only used it twice. I figure $100.00 /use is not a bargain, but don't need it. We are outside of Philadelphia, but our son is in Springfield MA, and comes home almost every weekend. Let me know if you are interested and we can send it up with him.
Thanks for the offer, the pavement in the alley in front of the garage is in bad shape with some gravel. There is a short slope up going into the garage. Did you have any experience using on similar conditions? I am curious if any members have to back into a tight space. I would have to back my trailer into the garage a angle to the garage. I wonder if I would be able to get it out when i am pulling forward. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would also like to thank the members of this great forum for the wealth of great information you all provide.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
rumbleweed

I park on a pad of CR-6 next to house and manauver around corner then to same two tire spots each time.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
mbd4kids

Trailbiker, we used the dolly on grass, which didn't get great traction, but worked. The previous owner who used it had a very steep incline on his driveway. One really nice feature is that it can pull or push. It might be the answer to your tight squeeze, and it does plug into the trailer brakes which is nice for safety
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote