TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
ottfour

Default Our First TM

Just purchased my first TM, a 2006 2720 this past weekend, after many, many years in a smaller fold-up. My family and I are looking forward to taking it out this coming weekend rain or shine. I am quite impressed with the set up and over all room of the TM. Currently I have it set up in the driveway learning the in and outs before we head out. Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
clown9644

Congratulations on your upgrade to the TM. You will be very happy. Though I am relatively new I have a total of about 30 days camping in my 2004 3023. Bear and I love the size. Some pointers:
1. Make sure to use the right black tank deodorizer in your Thetford
2. Try to use it for liquid used only, solids smell bad quicker.
3. If boondocking, remember to conserve water and battery
4. Did you flush and sanitize your water tanks, they may have some stuff growing in them if not used by previous owner?
5. Tire pressures are critical, check your tires and inflate to proper pressure.
6. Has anyone lubed the bearings, they will get hot if not lubed, if in doubt give them a squirt till you can do proper maintenance.
7. Brakes- do they work? Raise a wheel and spin, there should be drag and when someone puts on brake you should not be able to move the tire. Then you need to adjust brakes as per instructions of your controler.

Join this group for the $12. There is lots of good information on here, such as a manual written by owners as the manufacturers, sever different sites with all sorts of good information.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

I agree with clown9644 to join the forum as a full-fledged member. The $12 to access the full site was the best money I've spent on the trailer. We've had our new-to-us 2006 2720SL since July of last year and we've done a lot of work to make it ours! Went from D.C. to Yellowstone and back for our latest big trip with the TM. Boon docked and camped all along the way out and back. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed every night on such a long trip. I even camped at my parents place along the way.

There are lots of great ideas that I've borrowed all over the forum. There are a still a few mods I'll be adding soon. Congrats and enjoy your new TM!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
ottfour

Already instructed the family on no solids in the Thetford. I plan on flushing the water tanks but most likely not before our trip this weekend. Tires were new last year but I will check the pressure in them before pulling out,,,50lbs. psi sound correct? The wheel bearings were also done last year so should be good. Breaks were fine as far as I can tell when hooked to my prodigy controller. The TM was gone over by an rv dealership according to the previous owner and he was told that all was in excellent working condition. I have some minor repairs on some trim and molding to do, Winter project..... Can't wait to take her out...
How does one become a member?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottfour View Post
Already instructed the family on no solids in the Thetford. I plan on flushing the water tanks but most likely not before our trip this weekend. Tires were new last year but I will check the pressure in them before pulling out,,,50lbs. psi sound correct? The wheel bearings were also done last year so should be good. Breaks were fine as far as I can tell when hooked to my prodigy controller. The TM was gone over by an rv dealership according to the previous owner and he was told that all was in excellent working condition. I have some minor repairs on some trim and molding to do, Winter project..... Can't wait to take her out...
How does one become a member?
Welcome, I hope you enjoy your Trailmanor!

Tire pressure is dependent on the size of tires that you are running. TM customarily recommends the max pressure for the tires which you can find on the side of your tires.

To join look here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6107

Tim
Old 09-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

Does your 2006 have the lift kit installed? If not, highly recommend that mod. You would also move to 15" wheels. We decided to do this after having the camper our a few times and I love the extra clearance and reduced scraping when going in and out of driveways and gas stations.

Also, don't worry too much about solids if absolutely necessary. Just make sure you flush your tank out well when dumping. After an initial dump, I fill and dump the toilet twice to make sure it's clean. I purchased a back flow tank flusher, which I've only used one at the end of the season and everything looked pretty good.

Make sure you disinfect your freshwater hose(s) and freshwater tank before taking out for the first time.

One thing that really helped us was to 'camp' overnight in our driveway. It gave us a good idea of what we were missing. After tent camping for many years, it was amazing how many other 'things' you could use in a trailer!

If you have children with gadgets, power strips are a must.

Some disposable gloves for dumping are great to bring along as well.

There are some great people on the forum, if you can't find the answer using the search function, just ask!
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
ottfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpmd1 View Post
Does your 2006 have the lift kit installed? If not, highly recommend that mod. You would also move to 15" wheels. We decided to do this after having the camper our a few times and I love the extra clearance and reduced scraping when going in and out of driveways and gas stations.

Also, don't worry too much about solids if absolutely necessary. Just make sure you flush your tank out well when dumping. After an initial dump, I fill and dump the toilet twice to make sure it's clean. I purchased a back flow tank flusher, which I've only used one at the end of the season and everything looked pretty good.

Make sure you disinfect your freshwater hose(s) and freshwater tank before taking out for the first time.

One thing that really helped us was to 'camp' overnight in our driveway. It gave us a good idea of what we were missing. After tent camping for many years, it was amazing how many other 'things' you could use in a trailer!

If you have children with gadgets, power strips are a must.

Some disposable gloves for dumping are great to bring along as well.

There are some great people on the forum, if you can't find the answer using the search function, just ask!
There is no lift kit on it but I am running 15" tires. Lift kit is a good ideal. Add that to my growing Winter TM projects. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
rumbleweed

you might recheck the lift kit. If you do not have the newer axle, or a lift kit you could run into ckearance issues with 15" tires.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown9644 View Post
5. Tire pressures are critical, check your tires and inflate to proper pressure.
I would also add that you have the wheels balanced too. It is very important on the health of your TM to have tire balance checked at least annually.

I would also get a BAL leveler. It really makes it easy to level a TM.

Congratulations too...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ottfour

OK, I did it. I spent the $12 membership and am glad I did. I have to date gained more TM knowledge from this forum than anywhere else. Thanks to everyone for the informative information and I hope to be able to contribute soon myself.