TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Beach Boy

Default Wood In Older TM's

I have been looking today at some old archived TM webpages. I noticed that the "Construction" page in the 1990's is the same wording as to today (see 1999 page below).

I have read that TM's newer than 2003 have no wood in them. Where is the wood in older TM's?

Compare our countertop to theirs:

We looked at everything to make sure we're building the strongest, lightest trailer available. Even our countertops are specially built to save weight without compromising strength. TrailManor's lightweight laminated countertops cost more to build but are only half the weight of particle board.
Typical trailer countertops are made of heavy particle board that can swell with moisture. We don't use particle board or chipboard anywhere in the trailer.
————————————————————————
Innovative wall construction saves hundres of pounds:

TrailManor walls and roof are built using a special laminated construction of polystyrene insulation with aluminum on both sides. Our special lightweight walls are better insulated than conventional travel trailers. It's more expensive to build a trailer this way, but it cuts hundres of pounds from the overall weight,
making towing easier.
————————————————————————
Our floors give you a solid foundation to stand on:

Our 3" floors feature a special laminated construction that is stronger, more durable, lighter, and better insulated than other trailer floors made from particle board or plywood. That helps keep the weight of the whole trailer low for easy towing, yet gives you a floor you can count on. And our insulation means you stay more confortable year-round, and use less
energy to do it.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I have been looking today at some old archived TM webpages. I noticed that the "Construction" page in the 1990's is the same wording as to today (see 1999 page below).

I have read that TM's newer than 2003 have no wood in them. Where is the wood in older TM's?

Compare our countertop to theirs:

We looked at everything to make sure we're building the strongest, lightest trailer available. Even our countertops are specially built to save weight without compromising strength. TrailManor's lightweight laminated countertops cost more to build but are only half the weight of particle board.
Typical trailer countertops are made of heavy particle board that can swell with moisture. We don't use particle board or chipboard anywhere in the trailer.
————————————————————————
Innovative wall construction saves hundres of pounds:

TrailManor walls and roof are built using a special laminated construction of polystyrene insulation with aluminum on both sides. Our special lightweight walls are better insulated than conventional travel trailers. It's more expensive to build a trailer this way, but it cuts hundres of pounds from the overall weight,
making towing easier.
————————————————————————
Our floors give you a solid foundation to stand on:

Our 3" floors feature a special laminated construction that is stronger, more durable, lighter, and better insulated than other trailer floors made from particle board or plywood. That helps keep the weight of the whole trailer low for easy towing, yet gives you a floor you can count on. And our insulation means you stay more confortable year-round, and use less
energy to do it.
It's a misnomer that the TM has no wood in it anymore.

The framing in the roofs, boxes and floors was mostly replaced by square aluminum tubing in 2003 (before 2003 the framing was very light pine, soaked in resin ,,,,,very strong). However, there is still some wood in the construction in certain critical areas (not sure about 2009- 2011). There is also a thin layer of (door-skin) plywood between the aluminum sheeting and the framing, at least in the floors (not sure about the walls but I don't think so).
Old 12-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
MariaG

You can see where a lot of the framing wood in older TM's is on my repair blog. The address is in my signature, below. We hope to finish a bit more restoration this spring and paint the outside!
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default wood in TM

Our 2011 2720SL uses some 1x1 framing in the cabinet area.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote