TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
krusen

Default Height required to open a 2720 in the garage?

I'm a prospective TM owner considering a 2009 2720, but would like to know the height requirements for opening a TM in the garage. I currently have a Coleman popup that I keep opened in the garage for those spontaneous camping sessions with the kids, and seeing that I can't open up a TM door to toss in the cooler without having the camper set up I'm even more keen to make sure that I can load this new toy in the garage. Some of the concerns that I've read on this board are that the newer TM's all have the lift kit, and that the A/C units are now mounted on the higher shell. So if anyone can help me determine the overall height needed to expand one of these units I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'm currently at 107" (8'11") floor to ceiling, which I think would clear without the A/C.

The specs on the website for a 2010 show 101 1/2" open without the roof A/C (add another 14.25" for a low profile A/C), but I don't know if there's any extra height required during opening for things to swing into place.

TIA.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusen View Post
I'm currently at 107" (8'11") floor to ceiling, which I think would clear without the A/C, but I would like to find a way to keep A/C for our midwest summers.

The specs on the website for a 2010 show 101 1/2" open without the roof A/C (add another 14.25" for a low profile A/C), but I don't know if there's any extra height required during opening for things to swing into place.
The TM max height is when it is fully open. But it sounds like you're about a foot short. I have a 10' ceiling and my TM just clears it by a couple of inches.

On a 2009 model, I don't think you can locate the A/C anywhere but on the top. You may just have to pull it out into the driveway for those impromptu "camping trips."
Old 05-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
krusen

Thanks for the feedback. Would it be fair to assume that you have a roof mount A/C? I'm going to open another thread in a more appropriate forum to see if there are alternate A/C mounting options.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusen View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Would it be fair to assume that you have a roof mount A/C?
yep.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
lnussbau

I presume you've also allowed a little over 24 feet in length for the TM when open, and the the garage door rails, etc. won't be in the way.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnussbau View Post
I presume you've also allowed a little over 24 feet in length for the TM when open, and the the garage door rails, etc. won't be in the way.
Yep. The previous owner and builder of this home had a ski boat and wanted to store it inside during the winter, so one of the garage doors (and rails) is 10' high and that side of the garage is 30' long. Made it convenient to store our TM inside and opened up.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
krusen

Well I'm no longer a prospective buyer, I'm now the proud owner of a 2007 2619. And yes, I can confirm that I've got the bay depth to make it happen, but I've not got enough ceiling height. I'm 10" short with the A/C and I'm also 2" short of fitting in the vent domes. So even if I move the A/C inside the trailer, my ceiling is still too short. I guess I'll focus on making it as easy as possible to put it up outside.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Bluegrass

Congratulations! Pulling it out to the driveway to open up is pretty minor compared to the convenience of storing it at home and being able to load quickly and be on your way. Keep us posted on your first trip.

Keith
Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Georgew6

Is your garage under a room, or something, keeping you from raising the ceiling? I have more knowledge than I want of how mine is constructed because a water pipe is in the attic and froze (twice now) causing extensive damage in the house and garage, but now I know how flimsy the ceiling is and it would be easy to take it apart. Just wondering. My problem now is that I think my Toyota Highlander is not sufficient to pull anything. :-(
Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgew6 View Post
Is your garage under a room, or something, keeping you from raising the ceiling? I have more knowledge than I want of how mine is constructed because a water pipe is in the attic and froze (twice now) causing extensive damage in the house and garage, but now I know how flimsy the ceiling is and it would be easy to take it apart. Just wondering. My problem now is that I think my Toyota Highlander is not sufficient to pull anything. :-(
Depends on where you live, honestly. I use a Sienna with a 2720SL, and many others have similar setups without issue. Then again, I live in the flat midwest, so I can get away with it. Were I in more mountainous terrain, I'd not try it.

A Highlander with tow package will be at least as good as a Sienna at towing, probably better, so if you're a plains-dweller like me, don't fret If you're coastal, on the other hand, then a new TV might be a thought.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2720 open height