TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Kevin Krause

Unhappy Financing Troubles

I am just beginning to search for financing to purchase a 2003 TM 2720. I contacted an RV financing firm (name withheld for now) to try to get some money to close the deal. I provided them with information about the trailer including non-standard options. I received an email today saying the trailer is worth $5,200. My research indicates it is worth much more than that and the seller is asking over twice as much.

Two theories: TMs are more expensive initially and in resale because of the lightweight construction methods and towability. All my research indicates they hold their value very well. I think the company lacks information on TMs so they are using an industry standard, which results in way undervaluing used TMs. I expect this situation will repeat itself.

The second theory has to do with the ongoing credit crisis. Banks are worried about getting into bad deals, so they intentially undervalue the collateral and loan out less money so less is at risk. That makes only those really qualified able to close the deal, ideally those that can put down 50% or more.

All theories aside, what do I do now? I will keep pursuing options, but I expect this may become a trend due to one or both theories above. Does anyone know any financing options that would be actually aware of the value of used Trailmanors? I have previously visited the closest TM dealer (about and hour and a half away), and I may contact them to see if they will help me finance my purchase. Any other ideas?