TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
fallsrider

Default 48" front beds

I'm wondering if any of you sleep as a couple on the front bed that the TM web site shows as 48" x 78"? Our DS has autism, and needs to be restrained in bed at night, even though he is almost 6. It seems to me that the rear bed would make more sense for installing some type of gate since there is a wardrobe and bathroom blocking most of the opening to the rear bed.

A standard twin size mattress is 39" wide, and a full, or double, is 54" wide. So apparently TMs have a front bed that is slightly less than a full.

Do any of you sleep this way? Just wondering what our options are. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We don't have a front bed, but it would seem that installing some sort of gate up there would not be too challenging if you are even reasonably handy. I know that doesn't answer your question, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thought I replied to this post last week but the site was having issues and lost the history. I also would recommend the rear bed for your son and some type of temporary fencing between the wardrobe and bath wall. Please remember that the emergency exit procedure for the rear bed is to tilt the bed up and climb down below the TM. With you sleeping in front and your son in the rear, with the kitchen and electrical components in the middle, it's important to know what to do.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
ThePair
TrailManor Master

What model TM do you have? We have a 2720SL, and the front bed (folded out couch) is not at all that comfortable for two adults. Been there, tried that. The couch doesn't sit level, and one side is shorter than the other. All depends on how big the two adults are, I suppose, but we're not at all big and it wasn't good. For kids it's fine. That being said, closing off the back is likely easier than the front (much smaller opening), as you've already noted. The front could be doable, especially if you got some kind of child gate like you would use for a wide hallway, you could likely fashion brackets for the barrier.

As to the escape in the back, the newer (2009+) models have an escape window in the back, not just the "lift the bed" escape route.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
fallsrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
What model TM do you have? We have a 2720SL, and the front bed (folded out couch) is not at all that comfortable for two adults. Been there, tried that. The couch doesn't sit level, and one side is shorter than the other. All depends on how big the two adults are, I suppose, but we're not at all big and it wasn't good. For kids it's fine. That being said, closing off the back is likely easier than the front (much smaller opening), as you've already noted. The front could be doable, especially if you got some kind of child gate like you would use for a wide hallway, you could likely fashion brackets for the barrier.

As to the escape in the back, the newer (2009+) models have an escape window in the back, not just the "lift the bed" escape route.
BTW, how does your Sienna handle your 2720? We have an '04 Sienna, and am wondering whether it can handle a 2518 or 2619. I'm pretty conservative in towing. I don't like pushing things too much.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsrider View Post
BTW, how does your Sienna handle your 2720? We have an '04 Sienna, and am wondering whether it can handle a 2518 or 2619. I'm pretty conservative in towing. I don't like pushing things too much.
Depends on where you're going. 2004 is the same engine/etc as mine (2006). I go only on the flats in the Midwest (Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois/Indiana). For this area, the Sienna is pretty awesome. Great cargo space, no issues with towing. Very comfortable with this set up (good power, long wheelbase, enough capacity to tow TM + "stuff"), especially if you're looking at the 25-26 models.

If you're planning on towing in mountains or elevation, however, you'll probably benefit from something with more horsepower.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Laura FM

I also tried to respond last week when the site was having problems. I sent a PM but not sure if it went through.

It looks like you are planning to buy one? Consider the 2417, because the smaller bed is blocked by the (optional) toilet. OTOH, I am not sure if any of the bathrooms on the TM are structural enough to anchor a bathroom.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
fallsrider

I apologize for those of you who did reply last week. I posted this message then, then when I went the next day to look for any replies, my message was not there. I don't know what happened to it.

@Laura FM - I did not receive a PM. The problems you all spoke about must have meant the PM didn't make it through, as well. BTW, we can't afford a 2417. They are too new and out of our budget.

@ShrimpBurrito - I think you are right, but I was thinking that it would be nicer to have our DS in the back so that we could play cards, other games, etc., after he goes to bed around 8:00, if there was rain or other inclement weather. We would be less likely to disturb him.

@rvcycleguy - good call on the emergency exit. I was not aware of that. It doesn't matter where the exit is, though. My DS could not get out on his own anyway. But in an emergency, I would need to consider how I might get him out.

@ThePair - we don't have a TM yet. But I'm trying to figure out if one would work for us. I really like the concept. But we would only be interested in a model with a front bed. A slide model would not work for us.

If we could comfortably sleep on a front bed, then an older 2518 or a 2619 would work for us. Or even a 2720.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

I see no problem for two adults sleeping in the front bed. I think your plan to put your son to sleep while you still have the front living space after hours is a good idea. Good luck on our search for a TM.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I also tried to reply last week, that is when I found out the board was acting weird.

My wife and I sleep comfortably in the front bed, in fact I would say better than at home due to the relaxing camping effect. She's petite but I am above average size. At home we have a regular double bed so we're not used to the wide open spaces anyway. The TM bed does seem a little smaller than the bed at home.

When we had a small popup, our son was a chronic faller-out-of-bedder. I made a folding two-bar rail out of PVC pipe with two legs that extended under the mattress to hold it. He broke it a few times but it was inexpensive to fix. By the time we got the TM, he had grown out of this issue, but something like that would work very well between the wardrobe and bathroom at the rear bed.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote