TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Camper One

Default How hot is your roof heater ???

I tried my Carrier electric roof heater twice now and I am very dissatisfied with its ability to heat the trailer. I can feel the air coming out is very...just slightly warm-ish.

I removed the plastic grille and verified that the passages are clear and I cleaned the heater coil and ran it without the grille installed. The air blows real strong and I can reach in (near the sticker that says "do not operate unit with grille removed ") and I can touch the heater coil and it is indeed hot however it is not glowing red hot.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Our previous camper had the heat strip in the roof a/c. It was referred to as a "chill chaser" and was not intended to be a full blown heater.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

In 40 degree outside temps ours will run you out of the camper in about an hour. We don't use it very often.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
Joseph

Default 500 watts

Mine too was billed as a "chill chaser". Does not seem to chase them very far... It too is only "warmish". But 500 watts is not very much. And according the paperwork I have on the unit 500 watts is what it is supposed to be. Your average hair dryer on low is about the same. Snuggles with the DW works a lot better...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
rumbleweed

look at the label on the heater unit. If it is 500watts like most of them it will not heat the TM just take the chill off
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I have used the heater strip but it was noisey. We got a radiant oil heater. Silent and efficient. Combined with an electric blanket we are good at any campground with hookups. No hook ups means breaking out the down for sleeping and propane in the morning
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
moaboy

I used a thermometer once to compare how much it actually heated the air compared to the temp inside the TM. It was either 40 or 50 degrees.
So if the TM is 50 degree inside it will blow out air that is aprox 90-100 degrees "hot."
I have found it is best for providing "gray noise" while maintaining a comfortable temp if it is not below 50 out. It also helps circulate any heated air that rises if you are using a ceramic or other heater including the furnace.
That is why the call it a " heat strip" and not a furnace...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We don't camp when it's all that cold out, but the roof heater has been more than enough for our needs when it is chilly (50's). So much so, that I've taken to no longer carrying a portable heater when we go out. Why take up the space and weight (however small!) if the roof heater is always there, already there, and works.

Doubt I'd use it for colder weather camping, but for our current needs it suffices. If we run it at night, I don't put it on max heat, it gets too warm.

Now, we have the low profile Carrier that is no longer produced, and I also got the upgraded heat strip from Carrier (under warrantee, there was a recall on the original strip for fire hazard). The upgrade, it seems, was of a lower wattage than the original, but it is still sufficient for us.

Since it clearly depends on the model you have, I'd try it and see -- with a backup plan, naturally, until you are sure. I happened to have several small portable heaters we no longer use in the house, so taking one or leaving one was simple, I didn't go out and buy something just to toss it in the closet. I've done that for a lot of other things But not the heater...
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
Camper One

I did a Google search on my heater unit and found out that the heater coil was under a voluntary recall by the manufacturer so they sent me a new heater coil.

Ill let you know the results after it is installed
Old 12-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper One View Post
I did a Google search on my heater unit and found out that the heater coil was under a voluntary recall by the manufacturer so they sent me a new heater coil.

Ill let you know the results after it is installed
That's the one, yep. Easy enough install if you have the proper screwdriver(s).
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote