TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Randy

Default Shattered Window

I went out today to start getting our TM ready for our next trip and found the front curb side window completely shattered. I suspect it may have happened on our last trip two weeks ago. I removed the window but I am now wondering if a glass shop would be able to repair the window or do I need to order a new window from TM? Any suggestions or experienced input would be appreciated.

The next thought came to mind – what would I do if this happened while we were on the road? What would be a simple temporary fix that would allow us to get home to make a permanent repair? Any thoughts or idea?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I went out today to start getting our TM ready for our next trip and found the front curb side window completely shattered. I removed the window but I am now wondering if a glass shop would be able to repair the window or do I need to order a new window from TM?
Randy
I've never had to replace a window in the TM, but generally speaking I think a glass shop should be able to replace the glass window for you. You might have to remove the frame and bring it to the glass shop. I don't have our TM close by, so I don't know what's involved in removing the window/frame.

I would guess their price would be much cheaper than ordering from the factory (??). A glass shop will be able to match the type glass (tempered or laminated), and thickness, that was originally in the window.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Freedom

One of the windows on our TM had been broken when we bought it. It had been replaced with plexiglass. It worked well, but I replaced it with a new window.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Default Window Replacment

A glass shop would be able to help you if you are on the road. Plexi would be my choice in that case. I would then look into ordering a replacement from a RV repair shop. A glass shop would have to order tempered glass, and that is not cut in their shop. With the radius that has to be on it to fit the frame, you will spend as much, or more then ordering a factory window, and it may not fit as well......how did I arrive at this thinking??? I owned a glass shop.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Randy

Chuck, Thank you for the insight. The factory does not stock windows for older units. The order time for a new window is a couple of weeks. I gave up on the glass shop - never got any kind of response from even though they had the window for almost a week. So, in order to start our vacation this week I am going to try and cut a piece of plexiglass and make a tempory repair while I wait for a new window from the factory.

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
bebotx

I had a window shatter last year - I think a rock hit it on I-45 on the way home from the Jimmy Buffet concert.

I removed the window and took it to a local glass shop, and it was about $48 and 48 hours to have them replace the broken glass with the same kind of glass that was originally in there.

It was a simple job to remove and reinstall the window; just lots of unscrewing and rescrewing screws, and new caulk. I also had to remove the curtains and valance to get to the window screws.

I wasn't happy about it costing $48, but the time for an alternative just wasn't available. Luckily, it hasn't leaked and we've been in some fierce storms since then.

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Found the curb side bedroom window crazed today. The TM was parked in the yard and the only thing I can possibly relate it to is something thrown by the lawn mower. Didn't find any object in the area that looked suspect.

The local dealer said to remove the window and take it to a local glass shop. They will make a template of the glass and send it off to get a new piece of tempered glass made. Don't know what the cost will be.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
Found the curb side bedroom window crazed today. The TM was parked in the yard and the only thing I can possibly relate it to is something thrown by the lawn mower. Didn't find any object in the area that looked suspect.

The local dealer said to remove the window and take it to a local glass shop. They will make a template of the glass and send it off to get a new piece of tempered glass made. Don't know what the cost will be.
Mike
Probably not as much as you may think. I'm guessing..................$150.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As Harvey says, tempered glass is quite expensive, partly because it cannot be cut on site. If your wallet complains, you might consider "normal" window glass, which your glass guy can cut while you wait. You would want to cover the the inside, and probably both sides, with a peel-and-stick sheet of sun-shade plastic, to contain any fragments if the window breaks.

Another option is plexiglass. Cheap, easy to cut. It can be scratched, of course, but the TM windows are reasonably well protected.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

The local TM dealer (RV inspection station) said that plexiglass replacements and, by extension, 'normal' window glass replacements are not acceptable for RV windows in the state of Louisiana.

I removed the window and dropped it off at the glass shop this morning. They will make a template and send it off by snail mail to a shop where a new tempered window glass can be made. Turnaround time is 7 - 12 days.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote