TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default Jack wheel problem

I had been using 4X4" blocks or one of those yellow cone things to rest the jack on for most of the time I've had my TM. When I went to the Pismo rally I decided to use the wheel that goes on the jack shaft. I put it on and put the pin in the hole. Then I clipped it on. When it was time to go I took the pin out, hitched up, and pulled the wheel off.

However, when I got home I put the wheel, pin and clip back on. Several weeks later I decided to take a short trip. when I raised the wheel off the ground I could not get the thing off!

I had to drive the pin out with a punch and a small sledge hammer!! Then I had to use the same hammer and a block of 2X4 to knock the wheel off the shaft. Now I am back to the blocks or the cone.

Any one else have this problem?

Tom M.

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't have any such problem - most likely because on mine, there is no pin or clip. Atwood calls mine a "twist-lock design". The wheel has a sleeved collar that simply slips onto the end of the jack shaft. Once on, I give the collar a short twist, which causes a dimple in the collar to slip over a groove in the shaft, locking it in position.

I think I see what you are describing here.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...400750340.html
Mine looks more like this one
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...ood/80552.html

Sounds like you have an "improved version"! Anyone else?

But the mention of "several weeks later" sounds like a bit of corrosion or rust developed in the close-fitting metal parts. Has it been wet? At any rate, use some fine sandpaper on the mating parts, and then touch them with a bit of white grease - not too much!!

Or one or more of the metal parts may have developed a burr. You'll need to touch that up, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Bluegrass

That is strange, Tom. I have the same type of wheel as yours. What puzzles me is that both the pin AND the sleeve were stuck.

Only think I can think of is to start with the sleeve. With the tongue either on your TV or a stand, try slipping the wheel back on until you get resistance and then see if you can find what is causing it.

Weird.

Keith
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Trail_Runner

Tom, I have nothing terribly constructive to add, but when I bought my TM used from another couple, they gave me the wheel and cautioned me not to use it unless I never wanted to take it off. I get the feeling they had the same problem as you and had opted for a 4x4 block ever since.

-Matt
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
rumbleweed

Is it possible that either the wheel mount or jack shaft is bent. On mine the wheel falls as soon as I pull the pin. Lower the front stabalizer jacks. Raise the tongue jack shaft about 1/2" slip a piece of cardboard under the jack then lower it again. Raise and check the impression it made in the cardboard for distortion. It is easy to hit the jack shaft and distort it on things like speed bumps.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
T and C
TrailManor Master

Folks,

First, thank you to everyone who replied to my post.

Second, I think I might have figured out what happened. When I returned home from the Pismo rally I positioned the TM in the driveway in a place where we could open it and not hit the roof edge on the house.

After getting the interior ready to close it, we folded it down. When up the
TM causes my wife's Camry to stick out over the sidewalk a foot or two. We do not like to do this, as it is inconsiderate of the neighbors. So, after folding it down, we attempted to push it back about 3 feet. However, the driveway has a slight incline, and we could not quite get the job done. With a third party we could have done it, but our neighbors weren't home.

My solution was to pull my older truck up to the front coupler of the TM. Then I put a 4x4 block of wood between the front bumper and the coupler and gave it a little push. Problem solved.

At least until I wanted to take the wheel off again. I suspect what happened was that my "solution" caused a considerable downward force on the jack shaft and wheel, jamming it in farther than it should go. Hence, the binding of the pin and wheel.

Next time I will just hook up the trailer to the ball again. After all the huffing and grunting, plus the "solution" I used, that would have been quicker anyway.

Live and learn,

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote