TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
FightinIrish

Default Which converter? Opinions and history

I am researching the replacement of my stock Magnatek 6300 series converter/charger. There have been several posts of the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series and the WF8955 from BestConverter.com. Anyone partial to either or are they both comparable and is it just a matter of preference? How about the installs of either. I'd rather not have to take it somewhere to get it installed.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
FightinIrish

Anyone here ?????
Old 10-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #3
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default PD9245C from Progressive Dynamics

I just replaced my Magnatek 6300 with a PD9245C. That is the one with the charging wizard.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd9245c_2.html
I don't recommend that for the non-electrical/non-mechanical. person. I removed the 6300 and removed all the internal mechanisms perserving
the case. I needed it to mount the cover in the TM. I had to cut holes in the case for the PD9245C to fit. It is a bit too tall.
I also had to figure out the wiring, since the diagram provided in the docs did not match the actual wiring of the TM.
All in all, I got it working and it does fine and is very quiet.
I advise checking the appends by KSBASS. He had good luck with the PD9260C. I believe it fits the case much better.

The reason for the replacement was that the old converted/charger was overcharging the battery. I now have a new battery and new charging system. I'm planning a cross country trip and need the battery fresh while dry camping. No fun dry camping with a dead battery.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Smile Both will do the job....

Both will auto-magically implement "trickle" charge when the battery voltage indicates "almost" fully charged. I leave my factory-supplied WFCO plugged in all the time, and it's worked out great.

BUT: the PD "charging wizard" adds a periodic anti-sulfonation high-voltage cycle while trickle-charging, this is a nice upgrade above and beyond the WFCO capabilities. From other Internet message boards, there seems to be much less factory support from WFCO to end users, and there seem to be more people with unsolved problems and questions about their WFCOs. PD-owning posters seem happier.

IIRC, you're buying just the converter with PD, so all your $$$ are going into the converter/charger. The WFCO comes with integrated distribution panel, which may or may not be to your liking.

The WFCO is now standard equipment form the factory, so Ed (and everyone else) know a lot about matching it up with TM wiring. And it's become "the new standard" on lots of Trailers from other brands, too, it's no longer quite the undocumented mystery it was when I got my TM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 AM   #5
FightinIrish

I did just purchase for 40 bucks a desulfanator. I unhooked the battery from the TM charger/converter and hooked up the desulfanator to see what happens. It seems I couldn't charge the battery more than about 13.2 volts. Water levels have been fine as I have been around boat batteries for years and am used to checking water levels frequently.