TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM   #51
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Actually have three, an original K-55 that works fine and need for custom grinds, son gave me a 2.0 K-450 for Christmas, and a K-10 Mini for the trailer. Going to work meant upstairs.

Strap on mirrors work fine for me with straps tight. Jeep mirrors are about the tallest/fattest they will fit. Takes a little getting used to because the strap ons are facing straight back along the TM's sides while the regular mirrors are covering the blind spots in ajoining lanes. (and drivers side has a convex inset for a really wide sweep.

The big thing is that the TM is 91" (7'7") wide along the side. My stock mirrors are 84" (7') tip to tip. With the extensons it is 99" (8'3") so if adjusted properly I can see straight back with the outer 4" of each extension mirror. Is also handy for checking clearances, if the mirrors fit so will the TM (including awning and patio lights.

ps I have the Fit System 3791 which is "extra large".
Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #52
Carolina Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
While I recently purchased a pair of mirrors that Padgett linked to, I had previously purchased suction-cup mirrors. After using both types, I prefer the suction-cup mirrors. They don't vibrate as much, and I can see just as much as the dual-strapon mirrors. (There is a convex mirror for the passenger side.)

If you put them on properly (clean mirror, breathe on the suction cup for some moisture), they stay on for over 500 miles. If you don't put them on right, they drop off. The strap keeps them on the mirror mount, but you need to pull over quickly and put them on correctly.
LTC,

Thanks for another great option and a very reasonable price! I had some extension mirrors that were clamp-on with first pickup, but I never liked them because they jiggled so much.
Carolina Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #53
Carolina Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Actually have three, an original K-55 that works fine and need for custom grinds, son gave me a 2.0 K-450 for Christmas, and a K-10 Mini for the trailer. Going to work meant upstairs.

Strap on mirrors work fine for me with straps tight. Jeep mirrors are about the tallest/fattest they will fit. Takes a little getting used to because the strap ons are facing straight back along the TM's sides while the regular mirrors are covering the blind spots in ajoining lanes. (and drivers side has a convex inset for a really wide sweep.

The big thing is that the TM is 91" (7'7") wide along the side. My stock mirrors are 84" (7') tip to tip. With the extensons it is 99" (8'3") so if adjusted properly I can see straight back with the outer 4" of each extension mirror. Is also handy for checking clearances, if the mirrors fit so will the TM (including awning and patio lights.

ps I have the Fit System 3791 which is "extra large".
ROFL I guess you answered the question I didn't ask...I can use my K-10 mini in the TM. We are a three machine household too, the K-70 in the kitchen, a K-60 I use at work (that my DH stood in line for 8 hours to get "free") and our mini that we take on our annual Disney pilgrimage.

I love the idea of using the mirrors as a width indicator. My trucks have always been as wide or wider than my horse trailer so I knew if they fit the trailer would too. I have been concerned about towing with a narrower and shorter TV.

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas! I have added them to my list and the links to my bookmarks.
Carolina Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #54
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
While I recently purchased a pair of mirrors that Padgett linked to, I had previously purchased suction-cup mirrors. After using both types, I prefer the suction-cup mirrors. They don't vibrate as much, and I can see just as much as the dual-strapon mirrors. (There is a convex mirror for the passenger side.)

If you put them on properly (clean mirror, breathe on the suction cup for some moisture), they stay on for over 500 miles. If you don't put them on right, they drop off. The strap keeps them on the mirror mount, but you need to pull over quickly and put them on correctly.
+1.
like them as well and use a small bungee cord around the mirror to make them so they never fall off until the bungee is removed.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:15 PM   #55
Padgett
TrailManor Master

That is why I installed the 1KW inverter: so can make coffee while the AC is going & dry camping. Takes about 16 minutes for the Solar to restore the batteries.

Next major project will be to pull the converter board from the WFO (going to keep the AC and DC load panels and replace with a Xantrex Freedom HF system (not sure if 1000 or 1800 but leaning to 1800 - has a remote display). It can transfer from AC to Battery in less than 30 milliseconds so if AC starts and demand is too high, can auto-dedicate generator to AC. Am working toward a totally integrated and redundant system. Is said it is so fast a TV won't even flicker.

While dry camping in April I had both a bad battery and a gen that would not start the AC when most needed. Swore that would never happen again.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 PM   #56
TexasCamper

Default What I ended up with

Sorry for delay in posting my "results"....but family and health issues first delayed purchase of TV and then delayed camping.
The "other uses and needs" for the TV grew, so fuel efficiency became more important.

And then since this TV would be mostly used by my DW, she became the primary shopper and I became the sounding board.
We ended up with a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder with the tow package. It provides more tow capacity than our former TV (Chrysler Town & Country), so excited about that. But it does have a CVT so I was/am curious how that will behave.
We finally got to try out the towing during our spring break. We hauled from Houston to southeast AZ. No high elevations or steep grades in the trip.
But we did notice a stronger more effective pickup vs. the T&C minivan.

For our lower-demand towing, this vehicle is doing well.
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #57
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

One of you first questions was you could not see where a suv had a 2K tow capability and once you added the tow package it went to 5K.

I can see why the increase with my highlander, which meets the SAE tow standards, including the dam dam test.

Here is what I see the tow prep package includes: Additional trans cooler (very large double stacked, I would estimate at 25K to 35K btu), larger radiator, Water cooled oil cooler, more higher performance electric radiator fans.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #58
Popupbenji

Smile My highly reccomendation

I going to suggest a Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 this engine has the perfect ratio of fuel mileage and power I have an 2008 LTZ also owned and 02 and 07 with the same engine.I would highly reccomend looking up the engine and technology it has on saving fuel ....good luck
Popupbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #59
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Think most of us have the best TV for our needs.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #60
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Personal desision and preference
If it is adequate .......

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote