TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #41
Coulters4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Well, I'm biased but that will make a nice tow package for your 2619. Pleanty of torque and trans is same one I have. Do you have a dash readout of the trans temperature ? If not you might want to add a transmission oil cooler and a lower (180F) opening thermostat.

I have airlifts for my '12 GC but never installed, just do not need them and no WDH since I do not want to add any load to the trailer axle.
No I don't have a dash readout for tranny temp. I will look into the transmission oil cooler though, thank you for the insight.
Coulters4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #42
stormpeakco

Quote:
In the early '80s I toured the Rockies and Cascades with a single port Westphalia. Taught patience. Going up is only a small percentage of the drive.

Looks like Coulter54's Jeep is rated for about a ton more than mine. Suspect it will have no problem (though might be a bit thirsty).
Nice. Looking at several late 80s VW-Westy-Weekenders for use as a townie/pet transport vehicle (& for quick one day mtb rides and nearby ski/skin trips when alone or with the pup-when the Wife says, no way).
Yup, even before retirement I drive patiently.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #43
Carolina Camper

Post More questions about tow vehicle choices :D

Greetings all! I have been lurking for quite some time, but just couldn't pass up this thread. TexasCamper your timing couldn't have been more perfect.

We have been researching SUVs for a future TM 3124. We finally settled on a Grand Cherokee (unfortunately Ford let us down with the Explorer capability, as discussed earlier), when my DH started asking questions about "where would we put the generator and the fuel?" He has grand plans for occasional dry camping with our TM and I don't have a good answer for him. From searching the threads it looks like some folks put their generator in their rear storage, but what about fuel? Any suggestions on how to combine an SUV, TM, and generators safely?

When we were narrowing the field of vehicles we decided against a pickup for the very reasons Padgett mentioned. Our TV will mainly be an around town and road trip vehicle with occasional towing. I have extensive experience towing a large/tall horse trailer over the years with several F150s. Will there be a significant difference in towing characteristics going to both a smaller and lighter TV and trailer? How do you deal with the visibility issues with a vehicle that is narrower and lower than the trailer? I found and read the thread on rear view cameras, but a number of states require mirrors that give you visibility for at least 200 ft behind the vehicle. Any recommendations on equipment or other threads to review would be appreciated!
Carolina Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #44
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

For us, the SUV of choice is our 2005 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8. We use the Dodge Ram 'cause we can haul more junk!

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #45
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Interesting how many here like the Grand Cherokee in its various forms. For me it was the technologically most advance six of the time and that a new one with the factory towing package could be bought for under 30 large OTD. I also like big sixes.

Gasoline is an issue. So far I have been travelling with an empty and ventilated 5 gal container (good for 3-4 nights of AC) and fill near the stopping place. I plan to install a removable carrier on the tongue in front of the propane bottles (have to remove for the slide).

Visibility: I have a pair of strap on extension mirrors from Amazon that let me see straight back along the sides & am working the rear view camera for what is immediately behind.

A normal wireless camera just does not have the range to be reliable. I have a wifi system that will try as soon as I am done with the generator shootout (pretty much just need to consolidate the information) and shut it down. This has a seperate antenna I plan to mount on the leg of one of the solar cells.

If that does not work, I'll be forced to use a wired system but feel I need to be able to see what is hiding directly behind the trailer.

Also the wireless TPMS has been delayed but is also in the works.

But for me the big thing has been finishing up the "Hot Weather Dry Camping" aka "Sahara" package. I need AC and coffee in the morning.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #46
Carolina Camper

Thanks much for the feedback and ideas! We have been tent campers for years, but are total newbies to TTs. I had seen references on some threads about attachable mirrors. One more thing on my list for more research.

We just spent the weekend in the tent. There is no better motivator to upgrade our TV and buy the TM of our dreams than temps in the low 90s and 91% humidity at 0630! Not to mention having to boil water for instant coffee!! LOL
Old 07-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #47
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I have a pair of these. They store in the spare tire comparment when not towing.

ps I use a Keurig.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #48
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulters4 View Post
The information is sometimes overwhelming. I recently purchased a 2008, TM2619. Wanted to make sure my TV, 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 L v8 with factory tow package will be enough to handle the TM on trips through the Rockies. Also would it be a good idea to add spring assist airbags to vehicle. It is my wife's everyday driver and I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. Thanks for any info.
I have no experience with your particular motor, but my Ford Explorers (2002, then 2007) both had a 4.7 L V-8 and factory tow packages, and they were adequate but not generous in the high Rockies and Sierras. I monitored transmission temp. They were both rated about 6800 pounds in those pre-J208 days.

Please do not add air bags. They level the vehicle, but do not take weight off the rear suspension (which will be overloaded) or replace the missing weight that has been removed from the front suspension.

Take a look at the relevant articles in the TM Technical Library (Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #49
Carolina Camper

Quote:
I have a pair of these. They store in the spare tire comparment when not towing.

ps I use a Keurig.
Thanks for the mirror advice. Based on a comment on one of the threads, I was looking at the McKesh towing mirrors, but they are WAY more expensive.

PS I'll see your Keurig and raise you one! LOL (I have to have one at work since I'm not functional until after my second cup )
Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #50
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

While I recently purchased a pair of mirrors that Padgett linked to, I had previously purchased suction-cup mirrors. After using both types, I prefer the suction-cup mirrors. They don't vibrate as much, and I can see just as much as the dual-strapon mirrors. (There is a convex mirror for the passenger side.)

If you put them on properly (clean mirror, breathe on the suction cup for some moisture), they stay on for over 500 miles. If you don't put them on right, they drop off. The strap keeps them on the mirror mount, but you need to pull over quickly and put them on correctly.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote