TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Beach Boy

Default Storing Unit Extended

I see in some posts where some owners store their units extended. What are the advantages of storing extended? Any disadvantages?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Advantage: can enter the unit
Disadvantages: takes more space; cannot store in a garage

I think it's as simple as that.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I store completely setup because we like to be able to go in & tidy up, complete projects & sometimes camp in backyard etc etc. My wife also likes to just go sit in the TM for quiet time.

We have electric hooked up also & plenty of room to leave setup.

No negatives that I have found yet but lots of positives.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I see in some posts where some owners store their units extended. What are the advantages of storing extended? Any disadvantages?
We'd worry about falling branches (smaller, better supported target when it's folded), high winds working the supports and shell contact surfaces, inability to put a cover on it (keeps it clean and reduces the force and amount of rain getting on the roof), and, of course, the homeowners' association.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Beach Boy

Ah -- the evil homeowners' association, I understand. I have one of them. They are a coven of old witches.

One of the reasons that I am interested in a TM is that it appears that in the closed position that it can be easily covered. I had a 37' motorhome at one time. To haul a heavy cover to a slippery motorhome roof which is more than 20 feet off of the ground is not my cup of tea.

I wondered if storing extended had something to do with the seals or some other technical reason.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
YogiCorgi

Beach Boy,

I'm also interested in storing my TM extended with a cover and zippers so I can get in the door and check on things from time to time. My goal/plan is to find a high-quality cover that I can put on top of the TM while it's folded, then raise the TM with the cover already in place...no climbing on the roof to put the cover on. Once the TM is extended, I can finish installing/adjusting the cover along the sides of the TM.

I've had Adco covers in the past, but, for me, they don't hold up well...so I'm researching alternatives. If anyone stores their TM expanded with a cover, I would love feedback on this arrangement. In the mean time, here's a cover that I'm currently researching...any thoughts on this one?

http://www.rvcoversprotect.com/polyxtraveltrailer

This product is also sold by NorthernTool, but it's more expensive at that location.

Regards,
Bill
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
We store ours under one of those temporary carports, mostly to keep the oak leaves off which tend to stain stuff with our rain. No evil witches here our "subdivision" is called Lake Delancy Campsites. It was originally set up as hunt/fish camps.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
Beach Boy

Campgrounds are an exception to the HOA witches.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #9
MisterP

My TM is stored in a yard where we live, but I will not store it extended. They are too easy to break into when open. I also don't want someone trying to work their way into the trailer via the gap seals and doing damage. There is minimal risk here, but people have had stuff stolen from our yard and I don't want to take the risk.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Campgrounds are an exception to the HOA witches.
That is true but where we live you are subject to the county code enforcement cops. Campers are supposed to be enclosed, like in a barn. But then they won't let you build a house unless the building materials are stored in a building and you can't put the building on the property until the house is built. Building contractors are exempt from this rule. Its a good thing where we are at its four wheel drive to get in and out of, code enforcement doesn't have 4x4's yet

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote