TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Mike_M

Default Upper Door with Wood Rot

I just bought a 2006 TM 2720 and when I was putting it away for only the 2nd time, I had the bottom aluminum frame of the upper door come off revealing rotten wood.

I have searched the forums and found many older posts about restoring and fixing wood rotting problems from TMs built in the 1990s. I also read the posts regarding fixing latches when they pull out of the shells.

But my question relates to the door specifically. Is it hard to take off? If not, then the repair will be much easier.

Also is the door prone to wood rot? It seems to me (haven't had time to investigate yet), that water must be coming from the top of the door and making its way down and pooling (there is an aluminum frame that was holding it all together).

Do I need to be worried that the rest of the wood on my new TM is rotten?

My final question is in regard to the closing procedure. When I put my foot in the stirrup to latch it, I have nothing to hold onto to keep my balance. What I grabbed onto last night was the bottom of the top door (I was closing the front shell). When I grabbed it, the aluminum frame came off revealing the rotten wood. Obviously this needs fixing, but I'm wondering what you guys hold onto when stepping up on the stirrup.

Thanks for all your help. This forum has been invaluable.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
clown9644

I think the door is about the last place to have wood in any area that could rot. I have a 2004 and it has the same issue and the water comes in at the bottom of the aluminum frame which is not caulked (at least not on mine. I did not remove mine, just removed the bottom aluminum and put in a new piece of treated wood and caulked.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
I'm wondering what you guys hold onto when stepping up on the stirrup.
I have always put both hands on the edge of the roof and pull down with my hands while stepping down on the stirrup.

Yim
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
MariaG

We took it off, I don't remember it being difficult. I don't think there are specific instructions on my blog, but there are some pics of the door repair. Click on the link below in my signature, hope this helps!

And for the stirrup, I do the same as Tim, hold onto the roof - or one of the kids shoulders if they're nearby.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
I have always put both hands on the edge of the roof and pull down with my hands while stepping down on the stirrup.

Yim
One caution: If the stirrup is wet or slippery, be careful not to let your foot slip off and catch the power cord on the curb side that runs up the support. It will pull it loose from the bottom frame.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
clown9644

I have problems using the stirrup, big feet and bad knees being the 2 most prominent. My solution was a piece of pipe, a length of chain that fits through that pipe and connects to the stirrup using 2 s hooks, whole thing about $10. I connect to the stirrup with the S hooks and now have a lower thing to step onto with a bigger opening for my big shoe to get into. I have a better center of gravity, can step more down (not good english I know) on it and it closes easier for me. I do try to always grasp the roofl, never ever the doors or the awning.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown9644 View Post
I have problems using the stirrup, big feet and bad knees being the 2 most prominent. My solution was a piece of pipe, a length of chain that fits through that pipe and connects to the stirrup using 2 s hooks, whole thing about $10. I connect to the stirrup with the S hooks and now have a lower thing to step onto with a bigger opening for my big shoe to get into. I have a better center of gravity, can step more down (not good english I know) on it and it closes easier for me. I do try to always grasp the roofl, never ever the doors or the awning.
That is the best solution I have heard actually implemented. Do you have pics of it, I have been thinking of doing something like this that would help my wife close the TM easier in-case something happens to me on a trip.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
clown9644

Sorry, I guess I need more education on how to add pictures, but here are two of the stirrup attachment with notes:

The pipe is 8 inches long of 1.2 inch galvanized pipe

The chain is 28 inches long, sized to fit through the pipe

The S hooks are about 1 1/2 inches long

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...1&d=1335042234

It makes it much easier for me to close the unit down!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2249.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	7218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2247.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	7219  
Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Many years ago, we had a member that devised a slightly different approach. He used a longer piece of pipe (maybe 24 or 30 inches?) He attached a big S-hook to one end of the pipe, to go over the stirrup, and put the other end of the pipe on the ground. I think the whole thing was a bit more stable - less likely to toss you off as you step on it, and it lets you step away from the trailer a couple inches.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown9644 View Post
Sorry, I guess I need more education on how to add pictures, but here are two of the stirrup attachment with notes:

The pipe is 8 inches long of 1.2 inch galvanized pipe

The chain is 28 inches long, sized to fit through the pipe

The S hooks are about 1 1/2 inches long

It makes it much easier for me to close the unit down!
Dave
I like that approach, looks like it could really help with a little better leverage.

Thanks for posting the instructions.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote