Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Safety chains - choices, choices, choices

Howdy folks -

The safety chains on my TM are now almost all covered with rust, so upon reading a very unpleasant article in the LA Times about trailer accidents, I am inspired to replace them. As I took a closer look at them, I really was surprised at how small they are. Identically sized chain at the hardware store (although not sold as safety chain for trailers) said the max load was 750 lbs. I realize the chains don't have to be strong enough to lift the trailer off the ground, and thus don't need to have a 3,500 lb capacity, but 750 lbs just doesn't seem like alot to sustain a violent separation of the trailer. But I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I don't know. The 3/8" bolt seemed a little thin also...granted it's grade 5, but still. Could be bigger and grade 8. I admit I'm a fan of slight overkill.

Anyway, the store also had a pair of cables that had a 5,000 lb rating. But according to the package, the 2 chains are designed to be connected independently from each other, unlike the OEM chain which just has the middle link bolted to the tongue. The cable is maybe 3/8" in diameter, maybe a little bigger with a steel ring inside the loop designed to be attached to the trailer. I could get a long grade 8 bolt and bolt the loops to where the chain was attached, but then they wouldn't be connected independently.

I believe new TM's are outfitted with cables instead of chains. How/where are they connected on the tongue?

Also, because I use a WDH, the tongue is further from the vehicle that it would be without the WDH, making the point at which the chains cross now forward of the tongue. This makes the cross useless in preventing the tongue from hitting the ground in case the trailer separated. Moving the trailer closer is obviously not an option, so I presume my only other option is to mount the cables or a new chain further back from where the chain is currently mounted. What do you guys think?

BTW, that article is recommended reading:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4802876.story

Many thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote