TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Actual weight of my TM

One of our members wanted to put together a TM weight page. The idea was to collect some real-world scale-weighed weights, of TMs fully loaded for camping and ready to go. Part of each entry would be the TM model number, part would be a list of factory and aftermarket options on each TM, and part would be an assessment or summary of what personal stuff is included. The hope was to get us past the eternal confusion about dry weight, and the endless guessing about how much the food and water, etc, weighs.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
ED-n-KEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
One of our members wanted to put together a TM weight page. The idea was to collect some real-world scale-weighed weights, of TMs fully loaded for camping and ready to go. Part of each entry would be the TM model number, part would be a list of factory and aftermarket options on each TM, and part would be an assessment or summary of what personal stuff is included. The hope was to get us past the eternal confusion about dry weight, and the endless guessing about how much the food and water, etc, weighs.
I think this is a great idea. I would possibly include two columns...one for "empty/stored" and one for "loaded", with basic summary of load, as you suggest.
I think most owners will initially have "loaded" weights, but I would have the option to add the "empty/stored" weight when/if they get it. Personally, I would be very interested in the "empty/stored" weights just to have some solid numbers to compare to TM's published weights (what everyone seems to go by).
Since everyone camps differently, which in turn means everyone packs differently, the "empty" weight seems to be the more reliable platform to build from.
The combination of these two numbers should help the "3500 lb" members make more of a educated and safer decision.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
.... Personally, I would be very interested in the "empty/stored" weights just to have some solid numbers to compare to TM's published weights (what everyone seems to go by). ...
There is another weight published for each of the newer TMs. Look at the inside of the sink cabinet door. You will find a "wet weight" for your unit.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
There is another weight published for each of the newer TMs. Look at the inside of the sink cabinet door. You will find a "wet weight" for your unit.

Mike
My 2008 Has That...

Just for Reference....

I Have A 2720 Options Are Ac, Awning, Stove & Sink Hanging Cabinets, Swing Hitch, 40 Gal Water Tank, Amplified Tv Antenna, 17" Lcd Tv Screen As The Major Options.

The Sticker Shows The Following

GVWR - 4166 Lbs - Total Weight Allowed
UVW - 3095 Lbs - I'm Guessing That's With Options - But Dry Weight
Water - 332 Lbs - I Have A 40 Gallon Tank @ 8.3 Lbs / Gal.
LP - 45 Lbs - 2 20 Lb Tanks (10 Gallon) @ 4.5 Lbs / Gal.

This Should Leave Me With 694 Lbs Carring Capacity At Maximum Load

So The Dry Weight On The Trailmanor Site Listed At 2742 Lbs For A 2720 If You Are Adding Any Options You Are Probably At The 3000 LB Range Pretty Easy
Old 09-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Actual Weight of My TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
My 2008 Has That...

Just for Reference....

I Have A 2720 Options Are Ac, Awning, Stove & Sink Hanging Cabinets, Swing Hitch, 40 Gal Water Tank, Amplified Tv Antenna, 17" Lcd Tv Screen As The Major Options.

The Sticker Shows The Following

GVWR - 4166 Lbs - Total Weight Allowed
UVW - 3095 Lbs - I'm Guessing That's With Options - But Dry Weight
Water - 332 Lbs - I Have A 40 Gallon Tank @ 8.3 Lbs / Gal.
LP - 45 Lbs - 2 20 Lb Tanks (10 Gallon) @ 4.5 Lbs / Gal.

This Should Leave Me With 694 Lbs Carring Capacity At Maximum Load

So The Dry Weight On The Trailmanor Site Listed At 2742 Lbs For A 2720 If You Are Adding Any Options You Are Probably At The 3000 LB Range Pretty Easy
As Bill indicated, I might jump into this thread. I confess that I have been working on a way to gather and summarize the Real World weight information. I too have noticed the "internal" weight sticker information posted on my 2010 3326K. My stickers (inside and outside) clearly give the actual (maybe calculated) weight of my TM when it was shipped (Base Weight + combined weight of all ordered options). This is still a "Dry Weight" but clearly shows that options markedly subtract from the carrying capacity of the TM. Never-the-less, it is the "official" placard and gives the manufacturer's certified weight limits for that specific TM Model and Serial Number.

Of specific interest to me as I looked at my placard, was the knowledge that the Gross Trailer Weight for my 3326K remained identical to the advertised GTW even though TM increased the wheel size from 14" to 15". Apparently, the load carrying capacity of the tires or axles were not the limiting factor. I'm am definitely interested in the data "wmtire" is putting together.

What all of this tells me is: the sales brochure Base Weight really has little use to members trying to figure out what they can tow and it just makes the summary sheet larger. It does suggest, however, that most people will find their actual weight will come close to the GTW as stated in the brochure.

You will see this problem on the attached .pdf of the Excel spread sheet that I have together so far. The actual weights have come from reading information posted by the members that I have identified. The Base Weights have come from the TM 2010 web pages. I have also tried to identify some of the earlier TM models that are in circulation or may be still around.

The progress on this project is slow since neither Bill nor I know exactly how to get the actual weight data (other than maybe it will be contributed as a result of these posts) and how to limit the displayed data. The Base Weight information really has no bearing on the Real World Weight since almost every TM has options installed. The recent posts by "gocntry" and "mjlaupp" are good information and the post by "ED-n-KEL" suggest a summary structure that may work.

Once it is gathered, Bill could make it available in some prominent place on the site. I will continue to update it as new information is gathered.

Another difficulty is gathering all of the replies to this request in one place. Perhaps this thread will continue on just this subject for a while but more likely it will take a turn to another subject and be difficult to find using the site search engine.

I have titled this post "Actual Weight of My TM" to see if that can narrow the search. Another method could be the use of the PM tool.

I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TMweight.pdf (40.6 KB, 528 views)
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Jerry - very good information. Maybe more folks will contribute actual weights of their trailer so you can add to it.

If you want, add the following comments to my note - weight included two 6v batteries, full propane tanks, but empty water tanks and toilet. Also, I think the dry weight in 2003 was less than it is now. I think I have a brochure from 2003 so I'll check when I am home and if so will post here.

Thanks for putting this together!

Alan
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
PopBeavers

For my weight (actual 3380 on the axle, tongue/total estimated) I was loaded for bear. I do not normally have as much stuff as I did on that trip. I wanted to simulate the worst case scenario.

I posted the contents around July 2005. As I recall the following stuff was on the floor:

8 camping chairs
3 camping table
a free standing awning
Honda 2000 generator
2 Travasaks
several cases of water and drinks

plus some stuff I can not recall

40 gallon water tank was full
6 gallon water heater was full
toilet was charge
holding tank was empty
both propane cylinders wer full

fridge was full

I ran out of floor space. To make it heavier I would have needed heavier suff, because there was no room for more stuff.

We have been discussing weights off and on since I weiged it. I regret now not taking the bit of extra time to have weighed the tongue.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jerry -

You can pull my measured weights from here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3144

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I've attached my truck weight scale results from the only time I actually weighed the rig. There is one reading for the truck only and one for both. The TM was dry and unloaded except for propane.

W/o the trailer the axle weights were 2980/2960.
With the trailer, the axle weights were 2820/3080/2760.

I have a Reese WDH.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG.pdf (560.9 KB, 428 views)
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
ZekenSpider
TrailManor Master

Default Inside Weight Sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post

Mike
Mike;

I know that the sink cabinet door "wet weight" sticker is in my 2010 3326 and it appears to be in the 2008 2720 that "gocnty" has. Is it also in your 2005 3326K?

I'm wondering when TM started placing that sticker inside the sink cabinet door.

There is also a "Tire and Loading Information" sticker on the road side of my TM that says "The weight of cargo should never exceed 971# or 441 kgs. That's the exact same number that is the CCC listed on my sink cabinet door sticker.

As "gocnty" indicated, the sink cabinet door sticker contains:

1) The designed GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

2) The UVW (Usable Vehicle Weight) which they get after subtracting from the GVWR all of the optional equipment weights as ordered for that specific TM.

3) Finally after subtracting the propane and drinking water (ie 40# propane for two full tanks and 216# for a full 20 gallon water tank) they list the CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity). That is what's left available for the campers personal stuff, a charged toilet, greywater and maybe full water heater.

I'd like to get as much of that information as I can for the "Actual Weight " project. The GVWR is available from TM but the CCC is variable depending on options ordered and/or added.

Bottom line is, no one should exceed GVWR and I'm betting most everyone is running very close to it.

My GVWR is 5070# and with all my gear I have to run dry (except for propane) to stay at 5050#......and we haven't talked about the GCVWR as yet.

Jerry
ZekenSpider is offline   Reply With Quote