TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Toyota T-100 Towing Capacity

We're just ending our Chevy 1500 V8 Silverado truck lease and turning in our Nash 22 H Model trailer because the Chevy has been replaced by a smaller SUV and I can't tow the Nash with my Toyota T-100 truck. I thought for sure I could tow any of the Trailmanor trailers with my 5,000 pound/500 tongue T-100 towing capabilities claimed by the manufacturer--but posts here and elsewhere sometimes tell me I can't. I attend geology field trips sometimes 3 times per month and the comfort of a trailer is really rewarding. The TM is just about the same weight as any of the undesirable soft sided pop-up tent trailers with a shower--so the decision to buy a TM is easy. Living in Southern California, there is always a pass like the Grapevine or Cajon to consider. I would greatly appreciate any experience from anyone towing with a 4x4 T-100 before I plop down the money on something I can't tow.  My 96 T-100 does have the V6 with the larger engine introduced in 95.

Thanks!

Joan
Old 06-19-2003, 01:30 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Toyota T-100 Towing Capacity

Just looking at the numbers, I would assume (dangerous, I know) that you could tow anything up to a 3023 safely, taking into account load and dry weight.  I can't comment on the issue of axle capacity that you have raised in other posts, but is there something else I'm missing?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:15 AM   #3
efelker

Joan:

Check the T-100 specs because that was a "full-size" truck.  There are folks on this forum towing with min-vans and surely the T-100 should have that capability.  Even a 4-runner with V-6 and tow package will do 5000 lbs.  Does the T-100 have a tow package (transmission cooler) and Class III hitch receiver?  Agree with F.J, anything up to and including the 3023 should work with the T-100.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

Thanks very much for the encouragement.   ;D  I know the specs say I can tow one, but the horror stories of other T-100 owners, from other boards, makes me think the T-100 (comparible the 4-Runner V6) combined with a TM is going to leave me at the bottom of any significant hill.   ???  I'll absolutly need hitch and towing package modifications.  

Thank you very much.  Anyone have any nightmare experiences out there or is it time to 'write the check'?

Joan
Old 06-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #5
efelker

Joan:

I've gone to a lot of those other sites as well (RVUSA and Open Roads).  I've even seen comments about towing TMs there.  My take is the best advice you'll get will be right here -- these TM Owners are knowledgeable and really helpful.  

Those other sites tend to be a lot of RV "purists" and not the "special-niche" kind of folks you'll find here.  And to a purist, unless you're towing with a dual-wheeled, 6000 hp, ####### Diesel, with a $10,000 Hensley hitch pulling your 85' fifth wheel with walk-in refrigerator, spa, fireplace, and recreation room in the basement -- well you just ain't camping.  Here you'll find folks that appreciate fine engineering and thrift -- and from what I've seen -- they won't steer you wrong.

Me -- I'm just a novice -- don't even own one yet, but I recognize the quality of the advice you'll find in this forum.