TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Interesting article on trailer accidents and safety

There was an interesting article in the Los Angeles Times a week or two ago about what can happen when you trailer gets out of control, and what you can do to prevent that from happening. At least in California, you can go to jail if you didn't do your homework in towing properly.

A worthwhile read:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,4802876.story

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks for posting that. It's sad to read, but brings to attention the need to be extremely careful about hitching up. The article mentioned the NHTSA towing safety publication, and I found it (but haven't read it yet):

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...ipment/towing/
Old 12-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

on the hitch ball, but with the locking lever still up. Fortunately I was only going a few hundred yards, and I had attached the safety chains, so nothing much could have happened. But the thought that I could be so absent-minded as to do this scared me badly, and I instituted two habits to make sure it never happens again.

1. I use a safety clip, and I NEVER move the rig unless the safety clip is installed. This isn't so much to keep the coupler closed - I'm not sure it could ever pop open. It is to make sure the coupler is fully closed in the first place. The safety clip won't go into the hole unless it is fully closed.

2. I always, without fail, ask my wife to review the entire hookup before we pull out. She has it memorized and checks for every detail.

Bill
Attached Images

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I check the coupling every time I stop.

One of my fears is that if I stop for lunch, someone changes something when I am not looking as a joke.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
Thanks for posting that. It's sad to read, but brings to attention the need to be extremely careful about hitching up. The article mentioned the NHTSA towing safety publication, and I found it (but haven't read it yet):

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...ipment/towing/
I ordered the free book. After I read it I will give it to my brother, he tows a Montana FW.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
mtnguy

Like Bill, I left the locking lever undone 1 time on my utility trailer....but thankfully for a short haul between the "winter" and "summer" storage lots in the subdivision I used to live in. But I now use the "storage" coupler padlock as my in transit coupler pin. After removing the padlock, I now try to remember to place it in the floor board of my truck while hooking up, so that it is in the way (and where I can see it), and a reminder for me to make sure the coupler is down and padlocked for travel. I do several walk arounds, just to make sure everything is a go.

And as for the padlocking in transit, I am just giving theives a little more trouble, but maybe enough that they will go elsewhere. I had a friend hauling a load of ATVs on a borrowed trailer coming back from a hunting trip to Oregon, and someone unhooked the trailer and took it with the ATVs while the guys were sleeping in a motel near Denver. Even though I seldom leave the TV, TM combination unattended, I am not going to give a thief any opportunity.

Chap
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I use a padlock pin to lock the locking level on the tongue, but unless you also use a coupler locking pin as well on your hitch, it doesn't do any good. Unless you have both, it won't slow the thief down at all.

Interesting how that article seemed to imply that the most common cause of a trailer coming lose is failure to use a proper size ball.

Dave
Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I use a padlock pin to lock the locking level on the tongue, but unless you also use a coupler locking pin as well on your hitch, it doesn't do any good.

Dave
Dave, I use a hitch pin lock also. But with all of that, they would probably just steal the truck, also.

Chap
Old 12-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I check the coupling every time I stop.

One of my fears is that if I stop for lunch, someone changes something when I am not looking as a joke.
Wayne, good buddy, you and I are alike in that thinking. Another reason for the padlock for the coupler. And I always do a walk around at stops comparing tire and bearing temps against the other, lose electrical and emergency brake connections, etc.....regardless if they are accidental or caused by a jokester.

Chap
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The way I see it, you'd have to be a fool to steal a Trailmanor. They are so peculiar looking and uncommon that everyone's eyes are glued to it when it rides down the street. It stands out like a sore thumb. But I guess this assumes that the thief is smart....

Dave