TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
bhollister

Default Floor Replacement in 2619

I just finished replacing the floor in my 2002 2619 with vinyl sheet flooring. It was a time consuming project, but not difficult to do. See photos at: http://picasaweb.google.com/HoustonH...rReplacement02. The basic steps were:

1. Remove the quarter round trim surrounding the flooring.
2. Remove the carpeting, z-strips, and staples that held the carpet down.
3. Remove the vinyl flooring, door strip, staples and adhesive. The adhesive was removed with mineral spirits, and lots of rags.
4. Flatten all screw holes. Fill and smooth the screw holes with floor patch material.
5. Under the previously carpeted areas, there were gaps in the aluminum sheet metal that covers the plywood underlayment. Fill and smooth these gaps with floor patch material.
6. After a final cleaning of the floor, construct a posterboard template of the floorspace by placing posterboard edges along the perimeter of the floor. Fill in the entire floorspace with posterboard using masking tape to join all pieces into one removeable template.
7. Unroll the vinyl sheeting, and place the template on top. Trace the outline of your template onto the vinyl sheeting.
8. Using heavy duty scissors, cut out the vinyl sheeting, cutting your actual vinyl sheeting 1/8 inch inside your line. (actual cutout should be slightly smaller than your template - 1/8 inch from each edge.)
9. Carefully layout your vinyl sheeting on the floor, and check for fit. Cut adjustments as required to fit.
10. Carefully remove the vinyl sheeting from the trailer, and mix flooring adhesive.
11. Using a knotched trowel (small knotches) cover 1/2 of floor with floor adhesive.
12. Lay flooring in place, and smooth out flooring. Repeat with other 1/2 of floor.
13. After rolling out bubbles and allowing to dry, replace moulding with new moulding.
14. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
zemmels

Wow that looks great! I am also a proud 2619 owner...I would love to upgrade our flooring (take out the carpeting!)...Question how did you figure out the dimensions?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
bhollister

That was the fun part! I actually created a paper template by placing posterboard sheets on the floor, lining up the edges of the posterboard along the perimiter of the trailer floor, and taping it all together with masking tape. I would use small pieces of posterboard in corners and tight spots. See the picture below for my template. It was a very accurate process, surprisingly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Template.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1895  
Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Very nice! Looks GREAT!
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
SneakyFrog

Nice job! We basically have the same TV and TM; just purchased the 2004 TM last week, got the hitch and are planning on our first trip this weekend. My calculations are passing muster with the specs of the Sienna, so I can't wait to see how it performs.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default New Floor

Very, nice! I like the bathroom area - it's a tight place to work. We also have a 2002 2619, and did a replacement floor, with laminate. The factory does use a lot of staples, don't they!
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Beautiful job! I hope to get up the enthusiasm to replace our carpet someday.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
bhollister

Thanks all. Yes, the factory does use a lot of staples. I didn't replace any of them to make sure the vinyl flooring has room to expand and contract with temperature changes. I nailed the moulding into vertical walls everywhere I could.

By the way, I have enough vinyl sheeting, floor leveler and adhesive to do another TM. Because of the standard dimensions of vinyl sheeting, I had to buy twice what I really needed. If anyone in the Houston area is interested in an inexpensive way to do this job, I'd be happy to sell my remaining materials at cost. This way you could avoid buying twice what you would need too. Otherwise, I've got everything I need to do this again several years down the road!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
zemmels

Default Does the bathroom have a sub floor?

It appears in our TM that bathroom there is a 1/4 plywood subfloor. Did you run into this? Thank you for the template hint!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
bhollister

You're welcome! I did also have a plywood subfloor in the bathroom. This created a 'step up' from the rest of the floor, and a challenge when it came to fitting the moulding. However, the procedure for laying down the new vinyl was the same. I did use a separate piece of vinyl for the bathroom floor. I'd be happy to describe what I did there in more detail if you wish.