TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Killman

Default Visit the TM Plant

We are thinking/planning on purchasing a Trailmanor next year. We do not have a dealer nearby so we really do not have an opportunity to compare the different TM's side by side. Our thought right now is to drive to Tennessee to take the plant tour and then buy something once we are there.
Does this sound like a good idea?? Can you buy directly from the plant? Do they have all of the trailers set up where you can compare all of them?

If anyone knows the answer to some or all of these questions I would appreciate it!

thanks.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Larry,
My dealer in CA told us that we could not buy directly from the Factory but that the Factory could make arrangements with a local (to the Factory) dealer for the sale. Someone else will have to comment on the likelihood of the Factory having the TM you want available to "tow-away" on the day of your visit.
Good Luck,
Mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Larry -

I don't think you can drive up to a Ford assembly plant and drive away in a new Ford. They are a manufacturing operation, not a retail facility. Maybe TM can accomodate you, but when I was at the plant, I sure didn't see any retail space. It wouldn't hurt to email Ed and ask. But whatever you do, don't surprise anyone. Meaning don't just show up and say "I want that one!" Buying from a dealer near the factory is fine, but you should make sure he will have what you want, when you want it. By the way, I think you'll enjoy the factory tour, and you will really enjoy the area. Assuming it is not winter, be sure to spend a day (or more, nice campsites) at Norris Dam State Park. And make sure you meet Ed Lytle - he is a great guy and you will deal with him for anything that requires factory input or attention.

Having said that, if you have never seen a TM, it is very much worth your while to see a couple or three before you try to make up your mind. Your profile says you are from KC, Kansas. It might be worth your while to make the journey to either of the dealers in Mo (I know, each is a couple hundred miles from you), just to look at a couple. Alternatively, the entire midwest is RV territory, so although you might not have a dealer close by, you might be able to find an RV show in Kansas City where one of them is strutting his stuff.

The reason I think it is wise to see a couple TMs, even if the one you want isn't there, is that all TMs are basically the same. The floor plans are a little different, but the appliances are pretty much the same, the bathrooms are the same, the A/C and awning are at the same place, the shells open the same way, the bed(s) are at the ends, the door is at the center and enters into the kitchen, there is a living room at one end, etc. The layouts/floorplans are pretty similar, though not identical. But once you have gotten acquainted with the basic concepts, it won't be hard to visualize the differences when you look at the floorplans on the TM website. And people on this board will be glad to help you with model-specific questions.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Killman

Mark, Bill,
Thank you for your comments. I assumed that the plant would not sell direct and that we would tour the plant, make up our minds and then probably go to a dealer near the plant. I probably should have clarified that a little better!
My thought for doing it this way is 1)I'd like to see exactly how they are made. 2) Because we would have to drive a ways to get to a dealer, we might as well go straight to the source! and 3) After we buy one we would probably spend a week on vacation in Tennessee to test it out and have the dealer we buy it from fix whatever problems we might encounter before our trip back home. Basically it is a way to through a vacation in at the same time!!!

TM's don't seem to be in big supply or demand around here. I keep looking for them when we camp as well as any for sale in the paper/internet. We didn't know anything about TM's this past March and hadn't planned on trading in our pop-up so we never even thought about going to the local RV show. I do have that on my calendar for next March though. I do hope that Trailmanor is represented, but we will just have to wait and see!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #5
Hondo

I don't think that you can buy one at the dealer. We went there last month and saw a "new" one that had been returned from a dealer that had gone out of business. They would not even give us a price, which I understand. No dealer could compete with the factory. They did have 20 to 30 Trailmanors ready for shipment. They do not have a showroom.
We went for much the same reason to look at the different sizes. They offered to show us anything in stock and were very patient with our questions. I recommend the tour. However, I doubt that they always have every model in stock. About 80% of Trailmanors are 2619s or 2720s. I guess that they are more popular because of weight, garage space, and price. If you go to the RV for sale sites at the top of this forum's home page, you will find dealers with models and prices listed. You might find a big dealer like the ones in Ohio and Colorado that have the Trailmanors you like in stock at a location much closer to home. I agree with Bill that the kitchen-bathroom module is the same except for extra counter and storage space in the larger units, and the ends of the units will make the difference. Good luck with your search.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
coulter

Springfield Mo rv show is Sept 8-10th and there has been aTrailmanor there the last three shows.. no way to see all the models but at least you could check out the function part, etc. and Springfield's not too far from KC.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #7
BLAZER

I would suggest not buying from a dealer near the factory in Tenn. My buddy lives in Tenn and goes out of state to buy furniture, cars, appliances, etc....the Tenn taxes will eat you alive. 9.5 % I believe. Go to the trail manor website and find a dealer on your trip route on your way back home. Remember too, depending on your tow vehicle, you'll need a WDH and brake controller setup.
If you do decide to get one and stay in Tenn, Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is only about 1 hr from the factory. We stayed in the Creekside campground right off main drag in Pigeon forge and it was very nice. Not real big, only about 100 sites, but clean, and fairly reasonible ( $30 per night for 4 people)
Old 07-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
Magdefrau

I look for discount products. I would had rather bought a new TM from the factory, but they were quick to tell me that they would not sell from the factory. With a smile. I suppose the dealerships they rely on could become undercut quickly. The mark up at the dealership is..... alot. The next step was the used market, we found the discount price there. However, I was told the factory warranty will not carry over to the second owner. But that's OK, because it's a good product and the risk isn't high that the TM will have a major failure. The used market is very taste driven. My taste was for a new looking; clean, shining, no scratches or dents, tears. Not used much if any. It was luck to come across....and it was 7k discount of the price of a new rigg. Some scratches. No warrenty. One tire went flat before we got home, value stem failure. But the deal was good.
The taste in the used market could be anything. You have to know what you want and know the prices. RV sells is a buyer's market. There are so many for sell you the buyer can have what you want for the price you want. Walk away from any thing else.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #9
Bill & Lisa

Magdefrau,
Can you please provide more info on your comment that the factory will not stand behind the product if you are not the original owner. Everything else I have read and heard from talking to people directly has lead me to believe just the opposite. Your situtation may be unique but would like to hear what has lead you to that conclusion since I always seek out views on both sides of an issue when I can find them.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Magdefrau

Did I hear wrong? I was told by the dealer that although our TM would still be under factory warranty, as the second owners it would not apply. It would be neat if this is not the case. I have always felt like this point is the down side of buying used units. I really would be surprized if they get many warranty claims. My last post read badly the second time, I change wording. Company does stand by its product new or used I'm sure.