TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
Randy

Question Duo-Therm Electric Heater

Has anyone had any experience installing the optional electric heater in the Duo-Therm Brisk Air roof top air conditioner? How difficult was the job? How effective was the heater?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have not done it. When we bought our '02 TM, I asked about it. The dealer said not to bother. It is a small heater, only enough to take a bit of chill off the air. You have to run the A/C fan with it, and the fan is noisy even on low. A small electric cube heater is better.

I think that others on this board disagree, so YMMV. But if you expect furnace-style performance out of the thing, you'll be disappointed.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
hal

I installed the electrical heater in the air conditioner on a camp trailer a few years ago. It was easy to do, practically snaps or screws in place. But, was it worth it? In my opinion it wasn't. For the unit to dispel heat, the air conditioner fan needs to be running. The fan pulls air through so quickly in such a great volume that the heat unit does little for comfort. In fact, if the outdoor temperature is cooler than is comfortable, the fan will lower the inside air temperature. If the outside temperature is comfortably warm, most likely the inside temperature will be the same.

This heater does not have the capacity to "warm up" the entire trailer. I know of one owner that had the TM with the air conditioner installed over the rear bed. He spoke favorably of the heat strip for use during the night. But then, one of the reasons for installing the AC near the kitchen was to eliminate the direct noise as much as possible.

The little box heat chasers are much more effective.

Hal
Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Bill & Lisa

Default Box Heaters

Bill & I winter camp, always have. Even in our pop-up (starcraft) we choose to use the ceramic type heaters instead of the heat pump in the AC unit. They just kick butt! Already this winter we've been out in freezing temps and have been as snug as can be inside the TM. We do use two heaters as the rear of the TM is definitely a separate climate zone--much like a two story house. We even power the second heater directly from the pole, and not run it through the TM's grid.

One hint though--a few pieces of pipe wrap cut to length to fit up between the bed pan and the sides of the TM do a great job cutting down that edge-of-the-bed cold draft! Be sure to tag your draft dodgers with a long-ish piece of ribbon or string so you remember to remove them before you try to slide the beds in.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
Randy

Thank you for the helpful advice on this topic. I have decided not to install the electric heater in the air conditioner and instead buy a small ceramic heater. Cheaper and easier.

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote