TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default TM vs Aliner style

Good morning. I currently have a fibreglass Bigfoot, 19' trailer. Though I do quite like it, I have been considering moving to a pop-up type of trailer - hard-side Aliner (or similar style) or a TM. I am not a camper per se. I am in BC and my family is all in Ontario, so my trips tend to be in the ballpark of 5000 miles, round-trip. I have 2 small dogs that travel with me, so I require a "motel room on wheels". No where to board them, hard to find someone to stay at the house with them for 2-3 weeks so that I could fly.

The Bigfoot is a nice trailer, but with the price of gas these days - and it isn't likely to go down much, even when the Russian gas embargo is over - I am looking for something with a lower profile with less wind resistance while towing (the BF is like towing a 3000 lb sheet of plywood and my gas mileage goes from roughly 21 mpg to ~ 12 mpg). My TV is a 2006 4Runner SR5. Love the truck and it does tow the BF quite nicely - just sucks gas with the BF. I would love to be able to get the mileage up to closer to 16-18 mpg. I am not an aggressive driver and tend to keep my highway speeds to around 55 mph when towing.

I have never been in a TM, hadn't even heard of one until a couple of weeks ago when I started my search - not particularly common up here in Canada I think) but I am leaning toward starting a serious hunt for one.

I travel solo with 2 small dogs (sometimes a friend comes along for the ride, but I am mainly on my own). Can anyone give me some comparisons (good and bad) between the A-frame style and the TM? Noise? Temp control? Condensation? Potential for leaks? etc. I am willing to travel (to a certain degree) to see and pick up a good used TM if that looks like it would be a much better fit than the Aliner. Already think I would prefer the TM - more space in the same comparative trailer length, an actual toilet which, at my age, is a necessity - I don't want a port-a-potty in the middle of the floor, especially when I have someone else in the trailer with me (though I would convert it to a dry toilet like I did in the BF)

Thanks for the help.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Though I have never owned an A-liner, I've been in one many times. They're very small compared to a Trailmanor. Being so small, I expect it would be much easier to keep warm or cool, but I also have not had issue with doing that in a Trailmanor, except when it is super hot (say, >95-100 F). But again, it is very small -- fine if you're using it almost entirely just to sleep in, but if you're wanting to hang out inside for any extended period, it will be very tight.

Perhaps most importantly, since you say your priority is consuming less gas, even though you probably will save some gas in having an A-liner vs. a TM, my sense is that it is unlikely to be a significant amount. But, an A-liner forum would be a good spot to give you some actual numbers.

For reference, with my Toyota Sequoia (with a 4.8L V8), my highway fuel economy goes from 18-19 MPG to about 12-13 MPG when towing the TM (which is about 4,000 lbs when fully loaded).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Thanks Dave. I am looking at a smaller TM - since it's just me and the pups, and we're used to the 19' Bigfoot with roughly 14' of floor space (it's cozy), something along the line of the 2518 line (similar size used) would be fine. So going by your mileage, I think I could keep it to about the 15-16 mpg range or better, which would be acceptable.
I'm heading over to look into an A-liner forum as well. It's work in progress here and still deciding if I want to make a swap in trailers. I think it might be worth it.
Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:48 AM   #4
Ramblin' Rec

We pull our 2720 with a 2005 4Runner V8 Sport, which is full-time 4WD. We get about 14 mpg, so if you get a smaller trailer, or don't have FT 4WD, or have a smaller engine, you'll probably do a bit better. My husband says he doesn't feel this trailer being towed, as opposed to the box-like TT we had before.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:33 AM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb Hi. I use an almost identical Tow Vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
The Bigfoot is a nice trailer, but with the price of gas these days - and it isn't likely to go down much, even when the Russian gas embargo is over - I am looking for something with a lower profile with less wind resistance while towing (the BF is like towing a 3000 lb sheet of plywood and my gas mileage goes from roughly 21 mpg to ~ 12 mpg). My TV is a 2006 4Runner SR5. Love the truck and it does tow the BF quite nicely - just sucks gas with the BF. I would love to be able to get the mileage up to closer to 16-18 mpg. I am not an aggressive driver and tend to keep my highway speeds to around 55 mph when towing.
My TV is also a 6-cylinder 4runner, from the same 'generation' of 4Runner technology. (A 2007 'Sport' V6). My average gas mileage in daily driving is only 18, mostly due to living in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. Towing my TM-2619, in trips to and through the mountains, I usually get about 15 mpg. I am also a pretty aggressive driver, and I tow at higher highway speeds than you do.

With a 2619 or 2720, you'll probably see the same percentage of mileage loss that I do, rather than my lower number. My loss in towing is about 18%, getting 82% as many miles per tank. If you're now getting 21 MPG, that would be about 17.2 MPG while towing my Trailer in your terrain, with your less aggressive driving style.

My 2619 is a custom-built heavy-weight, it's more like a "short" model 3124 in many respects. Unless a 2720 owner adds a lot of solar panels or a bike rack, a 2720 will almost always weigh less than my 2619.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #6
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

As a former sales rep of A liners and other travel trailers...Here are my 2 cents. Aliners are small compact and lightweight, and almost perfect for a solo camper or a couple using a very lightweight tow vehicle. They are easy to set up with one person and are warm and comfortable... That being said, there are some serious downsides. THEY ARE SMALL the interior doesn't provide much room at all. Most don't have a real toilet (Some come equipped with a porta-potty) And there is very little storage room, and you have to get their biggest model to get a "shower". TM's shortcoming can be their difficulty of opening with one person. But you get. Fully functioning bathroom, a real bed! and plenty of interior room and storage.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Deb -

I'll say right up front that I love TrailManors - I now own my third one since 2002. But Kory makes a good point about ease of opening. The Trail Manor videos suggest that you can open one with little more than a gentle tug. And apparently some owners actually achieve this. But I have never been one of them, no matter how much I fiddle. And enough owners report the same thing that I suggest you be wary.

If I understand correctly, you describe yourself as a girl of a certain age, who will be traveling alone. If you show up at a campground after dark, or in the rain, and need to go hunting for someone to help you open your rig, you won't be happy. At very least, if you find a TM that you like, you should be sure to open and close it a couple times to be sure it is manageable.

I've never opened an A-Liner, so I have no idea how easy or hard it is. But I would suggest the same thing - try it before you buy it. Again as Kory suggested, a TM and an A-Liner are so different that it is hard to compare them in any meaningful way. And just to cloud the issue, I'll ask if you have considered a small upright trailer? Even something like a 17-foot Casita with toilet and shower would be better than an A-Liner in many important ways.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Deb, like everyone here, I love my TM. I would suggest renting an Aliner for a couple of days to see if it would fit your needs. I've rented one years ago and they're compact. The fridge is much smaller, counter space is minimal. I still had my porta-potti and used it on that trip. I checked out the 2417 TM, and at that time they didn't come with a toilet, but you could add that option. I did NOT like the set up, that felt worse than the aliner. I went with the 2619 and love it. Yes, opening can be a pain, I would love a slightly larger fridge and I ended up replacing the recirc toilet, but for me, it works.
I wish you good hunting on a camper.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
I would love a slightly larger fridge and I ended up replacing the recirc toilet, but for me, it works.
A larger fridge is doable...
Old 05-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #10
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Default Aliner easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Deb -

I'll say right up front that I love TrailManors - I now own my third one since 2002. But Kory makes a good point about ease of opening. The Trail Manor videos suggest that you can open one with little more than a gentle tug. And apparently some owners actually achieve this. But I have never been one of them, no matter how much I fiddle. And enough owners report the same thing that I suggest you be wary.

If I understand correctly, you describe yourself as a girl of a certain age, who will be traveling alone. If you show up at a campground after dark, or in the rain, and need to go hunting for someone to help you open your rig, you won't be happy. At very least, if you find a TM that you like, you should be sure to open and close it a couple times to be sure it is manageable.

I've never opened an A-Liner, so I have no idea how easy or hard it is. But I would suggest the same thing - try it before you buy it. Again as Kory suggested, a TM and an A-Liner are so different that it is hard to compare them in any meaningful way. And just to cloud the issue, I'll ask if you have considered a small upright trailer? Even something like a 17-foot Casita with toilet and shower would be better than an A-Liner in many important ways.

Bill
The Aliner IS easier to open with one person. (The TM I have with a rooftop AC makes it possible for one person, but it isn't what I'd call easy. The DW can do it by herself but it's hard). For me, the fully functional bathroom and a REAL bed place the TM over the Aliner ANYDAY. I'm going to adjust my torsion bars this weekend and see if I can get some better lift characteristics, I'm also looking into some mechanical advantage for lifting the front cap.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote