TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Default Seeking Kitchen Sink Faucet Replacement Unit and Advice

The kitchen sink in our 2001 2619 is leaking water into the cabinet whenever either of the knobs on the faucet is turned on. I'm afraid it's finally time to bite the bullet and replace it.

Does anyone have a part number for a replacement sink faucet? Or one that is available from a big box store that fits?

And how does the faucet connect to the pipes? I can actually reach the connections, but I cannot see them. I can feel what seems to be a knurled knob. When I was trying this, the water was turned on in the trailer, so I did not try to loosen them.

Thanks!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I think this is the faucet:

https://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-D.../dp/B00HYIDXCI

As to how to replace it, I'd remove the sink trap, the wood divider between the 2 cabinet doors (4 easy screws), and then try to reach up there with your hand to unscrew the supply lines. They are plastic nuts, but not hex nuts, but rater, I think, having just 2 "wings" that protrude from 2 sides (but not a wing nut). After you do that, there are 2 large plastic nuts that can also usually be unscrewed by hand that fasten the faucet to the sink. Stick a mirror and flashlight up there to see what you're working with.

A basin wrench can help if you get in a bind, but I've never found them super easy to use.

Since you don't have a fresh water tank (I don't think) under the sink, it should be easier than if it were (like mine).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:16 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think Dave has the right faucet. But before removing it, I would try a quick and easy fix. Since the unit leaks only when the faucets are ON, the connections to the water pipes themselves are probably OK. It would be strange to have both of them go bad at the same time.

Since the leak happens when EITHER of the faucets is turned on, the problem is most likely not in the faucet valves themselves. It is more likely in the base of the spout, where the spout swivels. So remove the knurled nut at the base of the spout. This should let you pull the entire spout straight up and out of the faucet body. You should be able to see one or more rubber or plastic seals. If you are lucky, when you remove the seals, you will find a small piece of grit or other junk that is making it impossible for the seals to actually seal. If you are less lucky, you will find a seal that is squashed/ripped/torn or otherwise deformed. If this is the case, take the bad seal to a hardware store or big box store. You can probably buy a replacement for about a buck.

If the problem doesn't turn out to be a bad spout seal, the next thing to examine is the valves themselves. Most of these faucets have a removable core / cartridge in the valve, and the core / cartridge has a couple rubber washers or gaskets. First, turn off the water supply, of course. Then open the drain valves under the trailer, then turn on the faucets, and allow them to back-drain.

Next, pop off the round "H" and "C" medallions. You will find a screw, probably with a Phillips head, that holds each knob on. Remove the screws and the knobs. This should expose a nut of some kind that holds the core tightly inside the valve body. Remove the nut and pull out the core. Examine the seals, and look for grit. If you are not lucky (again) and spot a bigger problem, take the entire core to the store. You will probably have to buy an entire new core, for 3 or 4 bucks.

Either of these approaches is a whole lot simpler than removing and replacing the entire faucet assembly. Cheaper, too. Let us know.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I've been trying to find a leak on ours too. I'll be interested to find out where yours leaks from as well. I suspect ours only leaks when we use the fresh water holding tank. Do you notice any difference whether you use the city vs holding tank for fresh water?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Larry -

I can't imagine how the source of water (city vs pumped from the tank) could cause a leak. The only difference should be the pressure from each source. If either one were really high, I suppose it could cause a selective leak. Can you find a way to check it?

If I read correctly, Bill Miller's leak occurs only when he has one of the faucets turned on. Is your situation the same? Or does it leak all the time?

Maybe the vibration from the pump travels up the pipe and causes an intermittent leak? Does your leak even when the pump is not running?

Bill
Old 01-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
The kitchen sink in our 2001 2619 is leaking ... Does anyone have a part number for ... one that is available from a big box store that fits?
Bill -

From an installation point of view, this faucet is a standard design. Any faucet from a big box store should fit, provided that:
1. It has two pipes, one coming down from each valve.
2. It has 8-inch hole spacing between the two pipes.
3. The height from the deck to the top of the arch is no higher than the current faucet's height.

In addition, you might check the fittings on the new faucet, just to be sure they are the same as the fittings on the old one, so they mate with whatever is on the pipes. But they are pretty much standard.

To ease re-installation, you might consider getting a pair of the 8-12 inch flexible hoses with the braided wire cover. You can attach these to the faucet pipes before you insert the new faucet into the sink deck. The only caution is to be sure that when the installation is done, the hoses slope uniformly downhill, with no low spots to trap water (I know, it never freezes in Houston).

Bill
Old 01-23-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Larry -

I can't imagine how the source of water (city vs pumped from the tank) could cause a leak. The only difference should be the pressure from each source. If either one were really high, I suppose it could cause a selective leak. Can you find a way to check it?

If I read correctly, Bill Miller's leak occurs only when he has one of the faucets turned on. Is your situation the same? Or does it leak all the time?

Maybe the vibration from the pump travels up the pipe and causes an intermittent leak? Does your leak even when the pump is not running?

Bill
This is one of those leaks that only leak when the cupboard door is closed.

(The one time I want an emoji, and I can't find one banging its head against a wall)

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the great advice and info.

I think Bill is spot on about the base of the spout being an issue, and if the faucet is difficult to remove, I may go the repair route. But it's old and has green corrosion at the base of the spout, and has leaked from the knobs in the past. I believe I replaced the washers then.

Since I can reach the connections, even without taking out the divider (which would definitely help) I'm going to try and get it out. I believe what I am feeling is the hose connection nuts and then above them the nuts that hold the faucet on. I'm going to do some mirror and camera work to confirm before I try loosening anything.

Thanks to ShrimpBurrito for the link to the faucet. It certainly looks exactly like the one we have now!

It will be a while before I attempt this. I don't get the trailer out of the garage lightly! I'll take it out a couple of days early before our next trip, which is currently TBD.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
[email protected]

My. 2009 2619 had a single handle faucet that was plugged up
I (with lots of effort) was able to remove it and fix and put it back together
Not much room but must be easier than the 2720
Tsrister@yahoo.con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I did manage to complete this task. It was easier than I thought it would be.

I took the right-hand door off of the undersink cabinet. Then I could sit on the floor facing the rear of the trailer and reach in with my right hand. I could remove both the hose couplers and the faucet retention nuts with my hand.

The faucet recommended above was an exact drop-in replacement - thanks again for that. Getting the faucet retention nuts started on the threaded pipes "in the blind" was the only difficult part of the replacement. Once I got that, I just tightened everything hand tight. I then hooked up water in the trailer and let it sit for hours - no leaks. I then let the faucet run for 30 minutes - no leaks.

Thanks again for the help and advice.