TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 PM   #1
madizzy8

Default Kitchen Faucet broke

While going thru the steps to disinfect our water tank, our faucet broke. Or blew up. We were running the pump with the faucet on to empty the tank and I heard a snap. Water started pouring from the back of the faucet. Did we do something to cause this? Regardless we are now trying to fix it.I realize we need a new faucet as it is not repairable as is. I read the thread about this. My question is this. Do we really need to pull the entire water heater just to change out a faucet? Are there any other tricks out there? I also read the idea about drilling holes outside to access the repair. Any thoughts on this? This should be a simple fix but it doesn't appear so. Thanks for any info.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have replaced my kitchen sink faucet, and I did not remove anything to do so. However, you do need to be somewhat of a contortionist to get your arm in past all the stuff in that cabinet and to the underside of the counter to unscrew it. The supply lines need to be unscrewed from the faucet, and then the faucet needs to be unscrewed from the sink. Both are large plastic nuts that can be loosened by hand. No wrench needed. It's not easy to get in there, but it is possible. Just take your time.

Wearing long sleeves might help protect your arms from getting scratched (although I didn't get scratched) might be helpful. Drinking several beers beforehand will definitely help.

I never even thought of it till now, but you might get some access to the hot water side of the faucet from the bathroom cabinet when the bathroom wall is setup, and maybe also in the gap to the left of the kitchen sink when the bathroom wall is closed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Also, the faucet is a common item -- I bought mine at a big box store, and I know others here have purchased theirs new as well. No need to get a used one.

This one looks like it might be it:
http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Faucet-DF.../dp/B00HYIDXCI

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
madizzy8

Thanks so much for the info. I never thought trying to reach it from the bathroom! I believe that the upper cabinet fell and hit the faucet and cracked it somewhere. We are going to try and just replace the spout part and see what happens as that appears to be the issue and that is where the water is pouring from. We were getting all set to get away from this no. calif. heat when this happened. The beers sound like a good idea but then who knows what else I might break. Ugh! Seems like one thing after another. We have had this trailer about 2 mos. and have yet to go anywhere. We have to keep fixing things. I thought these things were like gold. Maybe the last owner didn't keep up the repairs. Maybe someday.....we can actually get on the road.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
davlin
TrailManor Master

I looked at trying to "snake" my arm to the hot water side of the kitchen sink, and decided that I would tear up more stuff than I would fix. Hence my decision to remove the water heater. I see nothing wrong with Dave's idea(s) first. The less work, the better. Please make sure, however, that you have shore power disconnected when sticking your arm way back under that area. You won't be able to see where your arm is, and there are plenty of electrical snakes to watch out for.

If your faucet was like mine (made in China), I seriously doubt that you'll be able to find just the spout and cap, but if you could, that would save you a lot of work...assuming that's the only place it's leaking from.

If you do end up having to replace the whole thing, pay careful attention to the faucet height. Most "modern" faucets have heights that won't fit under your roof shell when it's closed.

And finally, it doesn't matter what brand of RV/boat/house/car you have, they ALL seem to need fixing, and often at the worst time possible.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

The Other Dave
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

it is the same think as you house , Lowes, home depot , even wally world will have a cheap one, it is called an 8 inch drill, ie. bathroom is a 4 inch drill , space between holes

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
. Drinking several beers beforehand will definitely help.
Dave
Now that's usually the time where I starting breaking things I didn't intend to.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I thought about changing out our kitchen faucet until I read that removing the water heater part and decided on the spot that we would do that when we are in your situation. Good luck!
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
madizzy8

Well, we got lucky regarding that faucet. Went to our local Home Depot and they had the exact set. Bought it, came home and screwed on just the spout part. Fit perfectly....done! No leaks. All for $17.95 and no contortion necessary.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
davlin
TrailManor Master

Great news! I wished that happened to me more often.
2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet, kitchen