TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #11
Wingedryder

Another 2 cents worth here....

My 2013 2720TM w/everything aboard but water tops at 3500# (maybe just a smidgeon more w/extra food??). We towed here in the Rocky Mtns. last summer w/my 3.5L 6cylinder MDX, rated for 3500# GVW towing capacity. We crossed the major passes with it twice and decided for both safety in traffic and to preserve our precious MDX's tranny, to move up to a V8 for a TV this year. We haven't towed with the 5.7L Hemi V8 as yet, but others in our mountainous region have reassured us it would be plenty adequate (7200# GVW w/AWD).

So, think it depends on the terrain you'll traverse and if you don't mind eating everyone else's dust. Our MDX didn't overheat, but the constant downshifts & higher revs to mount higher mountain passes made me cry for the strain on my beloved MDX. The Odyssey is a nice vehicle (I also have a Mazda mini-van that has been an excellent vehicle). However, though you'll probably get along, if planning on crossing mountain passes, you'll awfully soon wish you had more torque and power.
Again, just my '2 cents".
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #12
Frank M74

Smile

I notice that the original post didn't mention what engine and transmission he had in the mini van. I'm tow rated at 3500 lbs in a GMC Terrain with a V6 and a manual/automatic 6 speed transmission. I live in Arizona and go into the mountains regularly. It's just a matter of selecting the proper gear in manual mode when the cruise control will not hold anymore. I'm also considering one of the trailmanor 24xx or 27xx models.
Frank M74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #13
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Modern transmissions have lockup capability on all gears and being in a lower gear that is locked up rather than a higher on so into PE which usually unlocks the trans is a lot easier on everything.

My '12 Jeep can display the transmission temperature on the EVIC and I suspect that Jeeps and Dodges have had this capability since 2011 or so.

Coming back from South Florida on the turnpike at 65-67 mph on a 70F day and engine was sitting on 199-201F (195 thermostat), oil was steady at 195F and trans was 167F. These are reasonable numbers.

The nice thing about a TM is that the drag is very low (my 2720 is mostly in my GC windstream, this is a place where a van is good and a pickup with a topper can be a big help over an open bed).
Old 02-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

We came from a popup that dry was about 2500 lbs. Pulling with an old 01, 3.0 L, V6 sienna that delivered about 210 Hp. We never consider it an issue even on the back roads in the mountains where we saw north of 12% grades. At 14+% we slowed down a lot and that is the only place I wished I had more HP. On the interstate with the 7% or maybe it's 7.5% limit on grades, it was never an issue. A little slow down.

Moving to a 2720 with a dry weight around 2,950 and a slightly larger frontal area on the flat land, we saw no different in the mountains except at 6+% we saw about an additional 5 mph hit, peaking long inclines at about 55 mph. Transmission temp stayed below 210, monitored via the factory internal sensor on the hot output side, on the worst incline on a hot day. About the same as the popup.

Not sure of your popup size. But the Honda 3.5 delivers about 265-270 HP and the 2417 is several hundred lbs lighter than the 2720. It's closer to my heavy starcraft popup. I would not have a concern with it. But I would make sure I have a good trans cooler, rear air bags. The honda needs a power steering cooler or you will burn up the PS fluid and then the power steering pump. I think, I would get a 600 LBS WDH.

But on the steeper grades 6+% you will have a slow down.

PS I love the sienna as a TV and I was looking forward to steeping up to the newer model with the 3.5 - 280 HP. But the DW could not stand the seats in the new model. That is why we have highlander.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #15
Wingedryder

Smile

jenkinlb,

Towing capacity is also affected by elevation. Not knowing your location nor travel interests, I'd encourage you to verify not only your vehicle's GVWR for a trailer, but also GCWR (Gross Combined Wt. Rating of both tow & towed vehicle).

Here is why: A few rolling hills at lower elevations certainly won't matter, but traversing the Rockies you'll lose significant power and tow capacity as you ascend our higher passes. It's a 2% reduction in Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) for every 1,000 ft. increase in elevation, if memory serves me correctly. That's both tow vehicle AND trailer rating (whatever they might be combined). I'm sure your vehicle's owner's manual will state all tow ratings, as mine certainly do. I also assume your tow vehicle is equipped with "tow package" (extra coolers, fan, et al).

Living in Colorado and having realized the limited power of my 3.5L V6, 3500# GVWR while towing my new TM last year (3500# verified by scales) in the Rockies, I'll guarantee you'd be upgrading as soon as practical if you plan to continue to play in our mtns! Something to think hard about, if this could be your situation. Hope all goes well for you!
Wingedryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
moaboy

I did have a Honda dealer add Honda's stock trany cooler. My 2000 had a four speed, hp was around 210 with regular gas. Pulled fine. On some back country steep grades I just didn't push it too fast and of course did not have the elevation gain of out west.
My current tv is more in line to newer Ody's with 260 + hp and 6 speed trany. Both work well.
Ody's also have a long wheel base so very stable tv.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

"you'll lose significant power and tow capacity as you ascend our higher passes".

With one exception: a super or turbosupercharged engine can compensate to maintain the same chamber pressure at altitude. The problem then becomes that instead of 87 PON regular, I have seen 85 and less at altitude so you also need direct injection, either diesel or gas.

If towing a lot in the Rockies I'd probably have a Ford EcoBoost or a TD (and expect a new EB is less espensive to buy than a TD)