TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Martin

Default TM insurance

We just bought a used 2619 TM and I was surprised when our State Farm insurance rep told us that yearly insurance for just the detached trailer would be $369 a year. I was told the trailer is insured by our car insurance as long as it is attached to the car. If we do not intend to store valuables inside the trailer when it is parked in a campground and, though we are leaving on a long cross-country trip and have never trailer camped before, we do not intend to do a lot of dry camping until our feet are good and wet with the basics.
I would very much appreciate hearing from some of you long time TM owners as to whether you think separate trailer insurance makes good financial sense and if so why?

Thanks,

Marty
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I wouldn't be without insurance especially since our insurance is RV Specific with worst case scenario being that I would receive at minimum what I paid for it new.

I also have more than normal content coverage since we always carry the electronic gadgets etc.

We use Gilbert & have since we purchased the TM in 08.

When it comes to my toys I prefer full coverage since I am by no stretch of the imagination Rich unless you talk to Obama that is.

Also we don't cut insurance off when in storage just in case something happens at our house such as Tree falling etc.

Insurance is & always has been something I have just in case. I also fully insured our new to us boat so that I could replace the boat if it is a total loss.

Oh one more thing TMs seem to total very easy even when damage doesn't appear that bad.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
smokey45

We Bought are thru geico insurance it was $160 a year.
smokey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 AM   #4

I also have Gilbert and if my TM is totaled I get my original purchase price.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

I guess my point would be don't just look at price also look at the quality of coverage for the money. Also it is important to figure out what risk you are willing to take. If I was rich I probably would self insure the TM since I am not I have very comprehensive coverage for the TM & contents. We spent quite a few dollars on outfitting the TM when we first purchased. You may be surprised what it cost to replace all contents such as dishes, towels etc etc.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There has been lots of discussion this topic in the past couple years. Use the Search tool on the word "insurance" to bring it up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
cochise

We are in Arizona and we got our Elkmont covered by GEICO and pay $ 208.00 annual. But we picked some extra coverage such a towing in case of a mishap. I don't think the premium is too bad. But it pays to shop around.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

We priced insurance from our auto insurance carrier about 3 years ago. The camper has full coverage as long as it is attached to the TV....If we wanted comprehensive coverage for the rest of the time, the cost was $200 Mo (which included several other assets).

My wife and I discussed it and we decided to set up a separate account with our bank. We have an automatic transfer of $250 per month going into that account. The account now has just over $8K in it.

When we got our new dog, we checked on health insurance. We do the same thing with that and we are pooling the $ in the same account. This is untouchable funds to be used only in the event of a loss.

Works for us. However, we don't have any loan to consider and we bought our TM used. If we can stay loss free for another year, we have the entire TM covered but we will continue our habit.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

We had a standalone policy for the trailer that cost $230 per year (most of it is in the comprehensive coverage) from Progressive. We're with Geico now, and the cost is still $230, but the rest of the vehicle policy is more than $230 less than where we were (250 deductable).

I suspect that good insurance on a TM is important because dents are so hard to fix.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Martin

Default To insure or not to insure...

Happy holidays to everyone and thank you for your replies. My Dad always told me that insurance was a good thing and money well spent. It looks like all of you agree. We did insure the trailer with our car carrier, Farmers, for $365 a year. Looks perhaps like we could get a better rate with a different insurer, depending on coverage. Will check into that when the next premium comes due.
I have another question I'd like to ask you all. We are new to trailering and have been on the road for three weeks now, currently in Mohave in the California desert. We just went through that huge rainstorm that blew in from Hawaii and dumped for several days. we waited out the storm in Palm Springs but didn't escape the deluge. Many roads got washed out there and our trail manor sprang several leaks, most notably around the exhaust fan housing and the inside bracket anchoring an antenna leg. I bought some 100 percent exterior silicone for roof patch repair but I noticed that there is rubber molding around these vents on the rooftop. Should the molding be replaced or do you think the addition of caulking around them with silicone is a good idea?
Also we have been experiencing heavy condensation on the inside of the trailer during inclement weather. water beads around the roof and window seams and on the metal walls at each end of the trailer. Is this normal?
Otherwise we are settling in to our new trailer and enjoying it very much. We have already cooked some nice meals in the oven, which works great, as do the other appliances. We are using swimming noodles to seal in the warmth at nights, which are cold during the winter even in the desert. Any other keeping warm tricks we should look into?