TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
RayandCarolyn

I purchased my 3124KB from The Car Show in Jan this year that had a regular hitch and they had a welder they work with make the swing hitch for me using C channel. This mod gives me 21" to walk around the front of the trailer.
Boondocker 1255 MBA 55 Amp 4-Stage Converter
2015 F-150 XLT 2.7 EchoBoost FX4
Pro Series RB2 WDH
RayandCarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #12
moaboy

I would also add that you want to make the welds are done by an experienced welder. I had some welds made on a magnesium bike and they did a horrible job. Very sloppy work. My guess is some "trainee" with little experience did the weld. Learning experience for me in a number of ways, but primarily in that the weld broke.
So I'd want firm assurance that the welder knows what the h he is doing.
Good luck.
Bill do you know when TM switched from using the L to C frames?
Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I had my weld work done just before the company's change of ownership, and at that time made a pretty strong statement to the company about the problem with L- vs C-channels. But I never heard back from anyone. If they have made the change, that's a good thing and will prevent many owner complaints. But I have no knowledge one way or the other.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #14
kikeehn

Default Swing or removable hitch

Bill,
Since you are the man who knows TM and are such an asset to this forum would you go to the TM Faceook Page and search the photo gallery for the picture I saw and let me know if you come to the same conclusion as I did. The welds on the swing hitch look very professional and perfect fitting.
I don't want to mislead anyone since I am not really experienced on TM's.
Bill I will always yeald to your expertise.
kikeehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Kikeehn -

I went to Facebook, and I think this is the photo you are referring to. I'm not sure when the photo was taken, of course, though it is part of the 2013 gallery. But this photo shows two L-channels rather than a single C-channel. Although it is hard to see, the break between the L-channels is clear on the vertical face of the front assembly. This is where the weakness is - the vertical face can flex at this joint. A single C-channel would not flex.

Since the break is hard to see, I highlighted them in the second picture. The thick red lines show the ends of the L-channels, and the thin red line is the break between them.

Bill

I just spotted a photo of a true C-channel installation in post #12 of this thread - in picture 3. Thanks to KidKraz for the link.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7270
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Facebook swing hitch.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	11251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Facebook swing hitch annotated.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	11255  
Old 03-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
ArkyDoodle

hmmmmm......From Bill's pictures, it would seem to me if you were gonna have one retro-fitted (custom, after-the-fact), wouldn't it be handy to make the swing pin mechanism work from either side? The one in the picture pivots to the left...why couldn't the right side be built the same way, so that you could pull the left pin and swing it to the right?

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
kikeehn

Default Removable Hitch Retrofit

Bill,
I just talked to Matt Thacker at CustomRv Sales, and I yeald to your expertise,as I always should.
It is 2 L Channels welded together. Reasoning being they can't get a C Channel wide enough to use that will fit.
According to Matt most of the problems were with the hitch bracket on the non swing side with weak welds. From what Matt knows is that the problems with the Swing Hitch were mostly 2011 and before.

Matt's partner Scott is going to the New Factory next week and one of the things he's going to discuss is QC.

To those who are looking to buy a TM, be patient because with the move from Tenn, and with the production of the new Rise there pretty backed up.

Again, Bill, YOU THE MAN Lol
Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 AM   #18
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
hmmmmm......From Bill's pictures, it would seem to me if you were gonna have one retro-fitted (custom, after-the-fact), wouldn't it be handy to make the swing pin mechanism work from either side? The one in the picture pivots to the left...why couldn't the right side be built the same way, so that you could pull the left pin and swing it to the right?
Before we had ours welded shut it swung to the right. Some with the L channel have a plate welded between the two L channels. Saw one this past weekend that way, it also swung to the right.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikeehn View Post
Bill,
I just talked to Matt Thacker at CustomRv Sales. It is 2 L Channels welded together. Reasoning being they can't get a C Channel wide enough to use that will fit.
Kikeehn -

I have great respect for Matt. If he says "Not Available", I believe him. However, on my rig, and in the picture we discussed above, the two L-channels have not been welded together. If they were welded together, even by drawing a bead for a few inches in the center of their length, I believe that the assembly would not be able to flex, and the problem would be solved.

But I am not a welder.

Bill
Old 03-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #20
kikeehn

Default Swing or Removeable Hitch

Bill
I took a real closer look at the pictures of the swing hitch, and I think I see what you mean.
The 2 L Channels aren't welded together in the center, there welded each seprartly onto the frame of the detachable part of the hitch, and it looks like they have very little service to attach too, which can also aid in the flexing.
I think your right in that a separate bead of weld between the 2 L Channels would definitely stop the flexing.
When I talk to Matt again I'll suggest that to him, and see what he thinks about him having that done before he delivers a TM or perhaps even suggesting that to be done at the plant.
Since we live in Mesa and you in Scottsdale we need to get together for coffee or mayby something stronger.
Kerry