TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default What's new from South Dakota?

Long ago, when I replaced my 2002 TM with one of the first 2006 units, a number of Forum people asked me “So what’s new in 2006?” Now the question is “What's new about the South Dakota TMs compared to the Tennessee and Nebraska units?” My wife and I took our new TM on a 2-night familiarization cruise, and found a lot to like. As a general observation, the trailer is a lot more refined. In specific, here is my list of the many good findings, and a few not-so-good points. These are my own perspective, and others will disagree. I welcome comments and additions from other owners of South Dakota units, as well as questions on individual items in the list. Red text was added after some more experience and consultation with the factory.

In no particular order:

Good points
5200 lb axle (up from 3500 pounds). No lift kit needed.
EZ-Lube hub is still here - Dexter and Lippert joined forces
Self-adjusting brakes are standard
Stabilizer jacks are 24 inch 5000 lb hex drive. Old ones were 20 inch 5000 pounds hook drive.
. They are no longer from LiftCo. I don't know yet if I am going to like them.
There are two passive ceiling vents, both off center (the single center-mount unit was a source of leaks)
Entry door latch/lock set is nicer than the old residential pair. Same key for latch and deadbolt.
New oven with sexy lights and piezo igniter on burners and oven
Towel bar in tub is gone
Tub rim is higher
Fit and finish are much improved (bathroom trim, etc)
Electric slide - I love it. In the event of a mechanical or electrical problem, the slide can be disconnected using a 9/16" wrench to remove a single bolt, and moved by hand. I don't know the details of how this is done, but it should be included in the updated Owner's Manual when it comes out.
Added electrical outlet and TV connector on kitchen sink apron. My 2006 did not have that, though I think some later models did.
Winegard TV panel with cigarette lighter plug is gone - replaced by quad USB charger panel.
New refrig (Dometic RM2354) is bigger (3.0 cu ft)
. Refrig mechanism in back has a second fan (automatic thermostat-controlled)
. On propane, the refrig has an auto-ignition system just like the water heater on gas.
. . No little meter, no hold-in button, no “snapper” spark lighter.
Kitchen sink is higher! I think this was changed in the last of the Tennessee units, but I hadn’t experienced it. I love it! No more sore back.
Drawers are on roller slides
Air conditioner condensate dumps overboard, instead of drooling across the roof and down the side.
All Lights Off switch near the entry door
Euro-style (concealed) hinges on the kitchen cabinets. Should help the door under the oven in particular.
. .[Wrong. The new hinges pull out under road vibration. TM has changed to a different hinge.]
Moved toilet ½ inch away from wall to hide black cord
Water heater outside switch is gone, inside switch added
. . Wrong. This was an experiment, which the factory determined was not successful. Outside switch has returned. More discussion in the Plumbing Forum.

I’m neutral on these changes
Living room chair is no longer included
Interior lights are LEDs - very white, very bright
Switch under bathroom wall (“All rear shell lights off”) no longer controls interior lights
. Review this after seeing how hot the bedroom ceiling light gets
Black diamond plate in front - I liked this more when I washed my TM for the first time!
Flashy 6-lug wheels
Mastertrack ST225/75R15 tires - 2540 lbs LR-D 8-PR - apparently a new tire, jury still out
Jack antenna vs crank-up Winegard - eliminates a source of leaks, but can’t be aimed.
New awning is nice, though I can't really compare it to the old one which I seldom used. The factory is checking out two possibles. Mine is a Girard.

Not-so-good points
Wiring for the backup lights is not carried through. The wires from the 7-pin Bargman are capped off behind the refrig.
The inside switch for water heater electric element is handy, but it makes it too easy to turn on the electric element while EMPTY.
. It really needs my automatic-turn-off circuit.
. Wrong. The outside switch has returned
Water heater is electric or gas only - no choice of BOTH
. Wrong. The labels on the control plate are wrong and misleading. BOTH is a possible mode.
New entry steps are very hard to fold. There is a trick to it.
Entry door shape (my opinion only). I disliked it less as I got used to it.
I may be the only person in the world to dislike the Marinco plug on the power cord, but I do. I plan to remove it.
. The original mouse-hole approach was terrible, but ...
. A hard-wired connection, with the cord coiled in, and deployed from, the bumper compartment, was easier/better
Porch light on utility side is gone
The kitchen cabinet doors have a new handle, which is hard to grip. The door latches are stiff, making it hard to open a door - esp with wet hands.
I would have liked an extra-cost option for Goodyear Endurance tires

The factory is experimenting with these - they may go away
The water heater has a bypass kit installed. As in the past, it serves no needed function.
The air conditioner includes the built-in Chill Chaser heat strip.

Comment: Until the build process includes aligning the walls, I still worry about potential damage caused by forcibly aligning the upper and lower halves of the entry door by using a window sash lock. Discussed in https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=19943

Workmanship
Overall, workmanship is improved over previous units. There a few workmanship issues that will be improved with experience. None of them is particularly important.

Finally, I’d like to thank Paul Wipf at the factory, along with Jacob Waldner, Bob, and Cleo, as they worked with me to answer a thousand questions. These are top-notch people.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Thank you for this Bill. While I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford a new Trailmanor, especially living here in Canada, this is good news and seems much improved over their first year of production.

Interestingly, I believe the water heater in our 2001 is gas only, so that would be a neutral from my perspective.

Are they still using that new wall liner, or did they go back to the bare dimpled aluminum?

Larry

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Larry -

The walls are no longer dimpled aluminum. They are an attractive, lightly textured surface. I can't tell what the material itself is. The ceilings are still the dimpled aluminum.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall at sink (Medium).JPG
Views:	389
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	19107  
Old 06-16-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Great, detailed report, Bill. So glad to hear the new factory has made some needed improvements to fit and finish. And I like the oven in particular has a piezo ignition! I've used one several times on boats, and would have loved to have one on my TM.

Am looking forward to seeing one in person!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Just figured out the obvious. The bigger axle has bigger bearings, and slightly bigger brakes. Both of these are welcome - we have had a couple running gear issues.

Bill
Old 06-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #6
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Smile

Hi Bill

Glad to see that you are back with a Trailmanor. Love all the detailed description you gave.

Curious about the electric slide. How much power does it take? I am guessing i would need to keep car running and plugged in while sliding it out so as not to run down battery since i do not camp anywhere with electric.

Are the drawers all full length, no wasted space behind them?

I absolutely LOVE the idea that the fridge no longer has the push button start. I hate that on mine.

How about solar power? What options do they offer and is the solar controller a better one than the older models?

Have you done anything about creating a screen for the new door style?

Longer awning would be nice. Is it any stronger than the Fiamma? Similar crankout style??

If the stock market continues to be good to me, i might just have to upgrade to a new TM in another year or so.

Sara

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Hi Bill

Glad to see that you are back with a Trailmanor. Love all the detailed description you gave.
Hi, Sara. Good to hear from you again. You've been quiet for a while.

Quote:
Curious about the electric slide. How much power does it take? I am guessing i would need to keep car running and plugged in while sliding it out so as not to run down battery since i do not camp anywhere with electric.
I haven't measured the current, but opening and closing take only a few seconds (maybe 10?) so it will take very little out of your battery. Nothing wrong with doing it while your car is connected, but I wouldn't consider it necessary. I've learned from the factory that the electric mechanism can be disconnected without undue effort, but again I wouldn't consider it necessary.

Quote:
Are the drawers all full length, no wasted space behind them?
The shelves are full depth. As for drawers below the wardrobe... From the front face of the cabinet to the wall behind is 18 inches. The inside front-to-back depth of each drawer is 14 inches.

Quote:
I absolutely LOVE the idea that the fridge no longer has the push button start. I hate that on mine.
Me, too.

Quote:
How about solar power? What options do they offer and is the solar controller a better one than the older models?
Mine does not have solar panels or a controller, but the wires are pre-installed, the ends coiled up beside the battery.

Quote:
Have you done anything about creating a screen for the new door style?
No, haven't even thought about it yet, but the solution isn't obvious to me. Dave / ShrimpBurrito and I had a short discussion, but reached no conclusions.

Quote:
Longer awning would be nice. Is it any stronger than the Fiamma? Similar crankout style??
The factory is actually considering two different awnings. The one I have is made by Girard. It is a crank-out - easy to crank, and I think a motor could be added by the owner. (But there goes your 12-volts!) The interesting thing is that it has no legs, and apparently doesn't need any. I never used the awning on my previous TMs, but I used the new one for a couple family picnics recently, and I like it a lot.

Quote:
If the stock market continues to be good to me, i might just have to upgrade to a new TM in another year or so.
The stock market was good to you??? I need to talk to you about how you did that!

Bill
Old 06-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #8
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Awning

No legs on the awning? Interesting. You will have to post a picture. I have no problem cranking out the awning and don’t think I would want a motorized awning.

As for the market....yep has been a tremendous year, just wish I had done a ROTH conversion in mid March when market was down, I almost pulled the trigger but decided to see if it would go down some more, and since that day the 2 stocks I was going to convert have done nothing but go up.... Shopify (SHOP) and Fastly (FSLY).. bought my first shares oF SHOP around $50 in Jan of 2017, today it’s at $911 up 1700% in thre and a half years. All you need is a couple of winners and wowza. I have some big losers too, but SHOP makes up for it. All tucked away in retirement accounts though. BTW, both were Motley Fool recommendations....

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020
Old 06-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
No legs on the awning? Interesting. You will have to post a picture.
Here is a not-so-great picture of the Girard awning extended. (Light is fading here in central Iowa, so I've had to "enhance" it.) The extended awning is supported entirely by the tautness of the SunBrella fabric. Having no awning legs is nice in some ways, nothing to stumble into, or to get in the way of a picnic table. However, it means that you can't lower a corner of the awning to help it drain when it rains.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Girard awning.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	554.3 KB
ID:	19140  
Old 06-23-2020, 09:46 PM   #10
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Wow...almost identical to fiamma but no legs. I would not trust that if it rained. Agree on not being able to lower one corner, that is key in rain storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here is a not-so-great picture of the Girard awning extended. (Light is fading here in central Iowa.) The extended awning is supported entirely by the tautness of the SunBrella fabric. Having no awning legs is nice in some ways, nothing to stumble into, or to get in the way of a picnic table. However, it means that you can't lower a corner of the awning to help it drain when it rains.

Bill

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)

Both purchased July 2013

New bag seals Sept 2020