TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
rimartin58
Site Sponsor

Default front shell clearance for innerspring mattress??

I'm trying to solve the "hard bed" problem. Several camping sites offer an RV innerspring mattress that's 8" thick. From previous posts, I'm pretty sure the rear shell won't close on something that thick. How about the clearance in the front shell? Anybody ever measured it? I've got a 3023.

Thanks

RIM
rimartin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Al-n-Sue

Default rear shell clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimartin58 View Post
I'm trying to solve the "hard bed" problem. Several camping sites offer an RV innerspring mattress that's 8" thick. From previous posts, I'm pretty sure the rear shell won't close on something that thick. How about the clearance in the front shell? Anybody ever measured it? I've got a 3023.
RIM - FWIW - in our 3124 we tried to add a 2 inch memory foam mattress topper to the bed and the shell would not close. The latches were a good inch to inch and a half away from being able to close. We could have removed the topper each time, but one of our goals with this camper was to be able to set up and NOT have to make the bed!

We changed to a 1 inch topper and we are able to close the shell (with a little effort). The 2 incher made the bed very comfortable. My wife says the 1 inch one is marginal. I slept well on the original TM mattress, but, then, if DW doesn't sleep well, no one is happy!

Alan
(PS - I found a place on the web that will cut custom sizes of memory foam. Not sure how well they would work and they are not cheap.
http://www.foamproducts.net/index.cfm)
Old 04-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Scott O

We solved the hard mattress problem with a good quality AeorBed. Others have had good luck with a mattress topper like Al and Sue. I don't remember seeing any other viable options on this list.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
MackAttack

Scott,

You said that you solved the hard mattress issue with a good quality aerobed. Did you remove the TM mattress or did you just put the aerobed on top of the TM mattress?

Tina
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Scott O

We removed the factory mattress as it wasn't at all necessary with the AeroBed. The only problem with the AeroBed was figuring out which model we wanted. They make about a zillion different ones. I think we would up getting it from Amazon.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
ragmopp

Like Scott we also upgraded to an Aerobed. Best move we could make short of spending $$$$ on a Select Comfort bed like we have at home. We were able to take advantage of a closeout on a particular model that allowed each side to be adjustable to the firmness desired of the occupant. They don't make them anymore (I checked on their web site), but might in the future if they get enough demand.
A couple of things to keep in mind if you go the Aerobed route. Firstly, you will need to let some or all of the air out of the bed when you tear down the TM. It is appx. 9 inches tall fully inflated. This isn't a big deal as it takes about a minute to inflate/deflate. Secondly, power might (or might not) be an issue. Ours requires power to operate the pump. Not a problem in a park with hookups, but if you boondock you will need a means of getting power to the pump. We have a Xantec powerpack 400 portable power pack. It produces more than enough to operate the pump. Also, I see that some of the Aerobeds now have a battery operated pump that you could charge b4 you go on your trip therefor eliminating the need of external power.

Mike Anderson
Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default replacement foam in matress

I was planning on replacing the existing matress foam with a softer foam for the bed. I have a 2" memory foam mattress topper that needs to be removed to close the TM. The new foam will be about $120.00 from a foam outlet. I plan on doing some matress comfort testing in the store.
Any comments?
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When you are comfort testing in the store, remember that the store will set up the mattress on a box spring. In the TM you won't have a box spring, so it may feel different. Unless the store will put the mattress on the floor, I'm not sure how to do a real test.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
MudDog
TrailManor Master

The TM mattress was too firm for us as well.

We ended up getting memory foam toppers at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10378952

They are 1.5" thick. On the front bed, we just fold the topper in half towards the front so the rear shell can come down with no extra effort.

Seems to be enough clearance everywhere else.

--jim
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
Queeniereads

We did the whole add-the-topper and the padded mattress cover "thhing," but we are addicted to our Select Comfort. Now we are known as the "ones who put select comforts in their TM." We have a king size bed shelf in our TM and bought two long twin Select Comforts. We have to take the mattresses off and stow them long-side up in the aisle of the TM when we close down. We leave the long twin sheets and bed pads on them and either sleep in sleeping bags or under a King sized sheet and blanket depending on weather. In the 3124, there is exactly enough room between the wardrobe and the chair (which is a recliner in ours). Now, what it does take is someone strong enough to lift the mattresses onto the bed shelf, but we both agree that we sleep very well in our TM. Queen