TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
allenj

Question Lubrication to stop towing squeaks

Our TM has a loud and annoying squeak every time it hits a bump when towing it while collapsed. I walked beside it to listen while my wife towed it slowly and it seems to be coming from the area around the torsion bars near the center where the shells join. What needs to be lubricated in this area and what lubricant is recommended?

Thanks.
Allen
Old 05-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Allen -

Have you tried tightening the corner latches? If they are quite loose, it might allow the shells to move more than they should. Sorry, can't think of anything that specifically needs to be lubed in that area.

If it were me, I would probably just take a shotgun approach. Using a can of Teflon dry lube from Lowes (Item #: 213197), lube something, see if it helps, lube something else, etc. Eventually you'll find the source. In the meantime, the Teflon lube won't hurt anything as long as you keep it off any fabric. I like the Teflon better than silicone lubes because I think it is cleaner and the Teflon sticks better. But for a shotgun approach, the silicone might work just as well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Allen -

Have you tried tightening the corner latches? If they are quite loose, it might allow the shells to move more than they should. Sorry, can't think of anything that specifically needs to be lubed in that area.

If it were me, I would probably just take a shotgun approach. Using a can of Teflon dry lube from Lowes (Item #: 213197), lube something, see if it helps, lube something else, etc. Eventually you'll find the source. In the meantime, the Teflon lube won't hurt anything as long as you keep it off any fabric. I like the Teflon better than silicone lubes because I think it is cleaner and the Teflon sticks better. But for a shotgun approach, the silicone might work just as well.

Bill
Where the Teflon spray is 300% better than WD40 for lubricating, WD40 is sometimes better for locating and "temporarily" eliminating the squeak.

WD40 is mostly cleaning solvents and most squeaks are caused by small particles being trapped in moving parts (that's why it works so well on door hinges). WD40 has a small amount of residual lubricant but it doesn't last long.

It may be a good idea to use the WD40 to locate and clean the squeak then use the Teflon (after the WD40 evaporates) to actually lubricate the area.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
DenandSue

I had the same problem and tracked it down to the spring loaded latches that hold the shells down in the middle. The bolt that runs through them is where the squeak was coming from. While the TM is set up - if you move the handle of the latch back and forth, you will probably hear the squeak.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
larsdennert

I had a problem like that and used chocolate to solve it. Oh, wait those were my squeaky kids.

Take a look at the torsion arms on the axle from the backside. Do you have the factory 2" lift blocks? Are there wear marks on the arms rubbing the blocks? If so, loosen and move the blocks a bit to clear.